Author Topic: Pesach Program in Greece Cancelled Just Now!  (Read 182111 times)

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pesach Program in Greece Cancelled Just Now!
« Reply #520 on: April 21, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
At the end of the day if you want 100% guaranteed kosher you grow your own food and shect your own meat etc.   
Straw man
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »
At the end of the day if you want 100% guaranteed kosher you grow your own food and shect your own meat etc.     
Why so? Who says i would make a good shochet?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
Why so? Who says i would make a good shochet?
No one but if you were learned in the halachos  you'd at least know when you weren't doing a good job. 

Want to be more 'careful'? Become a vegan. 
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »

Not the first time that equivalence was made in this thread. Chometz on Pesach is much stricter than most other issurim both in its shiur (mashehu) and in its bittul (not batel bshishim on Pesach).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »
No one but if you were learned in the halachos  you'd at least know when you weren't doing a good job.  . 
And now that there are others who know it bettter and have practiced more than me I am better off relying on them. What does that have to do with Pesach Programs?
Want to be more 'careful'? Become a vegan. 
chumro habo liyedei kula

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »
Non-Jewish workers would bring pizza and donuts into the kitchen (yes you read right) and no one cared at all.
At least here it was the non-jewish workers. I just heard about a case where the "mashgichim" were bringing in chometz. (I heard this secondhand, from my BIL who heard it directly from his friend who was one of these "mashgichim.")
In fact this "mashgiach" said that the people there were lucky if anything they ate was kosher at all, let alone KFP. The "mashgichim" were sitting around drinking whiskey and totally couldn't give a crap about anything that happened in the kitchen.

I'm not saying this is the norm but apparently it does happen...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 21, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »
At least here it was the non-jewish workers. I just heard about a case where the "mashgichim" were bringing in chometz. (I heard this secondhand, from my BIL who heard it directly from his friend who was one of these "mashgichim.")
In fact this "mashgiach" said that the people there were lucky if anything they ate was kosher at all, let alone KFP. The "mashgichim" were sitting around drinking whiskey and totally couldn't give a crap about anything that happened in the kitchen.

That just sounds crazy.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 21, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »

I would fire a mashgiach after one warning for drinking anything on the job. (Matuk Kal for sales koisos.)

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #528 on: April 21, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »

When I was a bochur, a good friend of mine who used to do Hashgocho gigs for the OK told me, that the OK will not take Lubavitchers as mashgichim for Sukkos programs. The reasoning was that a "Lubavitcher" who would go on such a program, couldn't be makpid on not drinking outside the sukkah, so if he's willing to go somewhere where he can't keep up to that, he might not be so ירא שמים. While for a non-Lubavitcher drinking outside the sukkah is a non-issue.

I don't know if this was a strict policy, and whether it might be the current policy, or only an idea that came up in conversation.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 21, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »
When I was a bochur, a good friend of mine who used to do Hashgocho gigs for the OK told me, that the OK will not take Lubavitchers as mashgichim for Sukkos programs. The reasoning was that a "Lubavitcher" who would go on such a program, couldn't be makpid on not drinking outside the sukkah, so if he's willing to go somewhere where he can't keep up to that, he might not be so ירא שמים. While for a non-Lubavitcher drinking outside the sukkah is a non-issue.

I don't know if this was a strict policy, and whether it might be the current policy, or only an idea that came up in conversation.

Sure,  but the bochurim who want to go to cancun for pesach are probably spending their spare time drawing the kav

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #530 on: April 21, 2017, 04:32:40 PM »

Sure,  but the bochurim who want to go to cancun for pesach are probably spending their spare time drawing the kav
ALOL
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »

Just going to put this out there:

I am now married with kids but back in the days when i was single i used to work as a mashgiach in hotels. I worked in one program which was not very fancy for a few years and that program was superb with no issues. Later i worked in a program which was definitely on the fancier side. This program didn't care at all about kashrus, all they cared about was how happy were the guests. Non-Jewish workers would bring pizza and donuts into the kitchen (yes you read right) and no one cared at all. When i mentioned it to the head mashgiach he was too scared of the caterer and the kitchen staff and it all continued. Kashrus was not at all a priority.

I emailed the owners of the program at the time, but i'm sure nothing was done about it and the program probably still runs the same way. So if you are in a hotel program be aware there is a good chance you had a good time while eating pure chometz.
So does this corroborate my "assumptions" that were attacked by Dan?

And as for Dan's claims for circular logic used, after rereading what I wrote I can see why he thought so, though its more of an issue of חסורי מחסרא והכי קתני - missing the point that the bochur that sought the fancier Pesach sedorim (to clarify for the "outsiders" on this forum, older Yeshiva bochurim in Lubavitch often go to help run, or actually run themselves, public sedorim in all corners of the world) was known by his father not to be the type that would inquire about kashrus standards.

I am not saying that he's any less holy than anyone else, just that the emphasis and the priority list has luxury high up, while questioning or inquiring about kashrus standards seems secondary to that.
-- Dan

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
Henche, so good to have you around.

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 23, 2017, 01:19:04 AM »

I know firsthand of a program that hired a "bochur" who is (לעת עתה) openly not frum.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 23, 2017, 01:38:18 AM »

I know firsthand of a program that hired a "bochur" who is (לעת עתה) openly not frum.
In one of the weekly papers around Lakewood shuls someone brought a story that his grandfather was a mashgiach somewhere and wanted to get a different job. He told the Bluzhever Rebbe that he wanted to get a different job since he was worried about the responsibility. The Rebbe answered "Who should be mashgiach instead? Someone who is NOT nervous about the responsibility?"

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 23, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
pretty sure the Werner family doesn't eat the food from thier Pesach program. They bring their own food

they do bring their own food
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 23, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
Many people in CLE didn't eat at Peking because it was owned by a non-Jew.

Then it was sold to a frum Jew from a respected CLE family and everyone started eating there. 2 years later he was busted for serving treif.

did it taste good?
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 23, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »
did it taste good?
Why should it? I am sure the purpose was not to make it taste better.

Online beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 23, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
Years ago, I worked for a caterer (not Pesach) who hired a Mashgiach who wasn't frum (he did wear a yarmulka which on the job). I can't tell you how many times the Hispanic manager corrected him on matters of Kashrus.

Most notably:
Manager to waiter - "Please start putting the bottles of wine on the tables."
Mashgiach to manager: "Oh no, don't tell her that. I need to do that."
Manager to Mashgiach - "That's okay, these bottles are mevushal!"

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
Years ago, I worked for a caterer (not Pesach) who hired a Mashgiach who wasn't frum (he did wear a yarmulka which on the job). I can't tell you how many times the Hispanic manager corrected him on matters of Kashrus.

Most notably:
Manager to waiter - "Please start putting the bottles of wine on the tables."
Mashgiach to manager: "Oh no, don't tell her that. I need to do that."
Manager to Mashgiach - "That's okay, these bottles are mevushal!"
the hashgacha shouldnt have allowed non-mevushal wine period