Author Topic: Travel Insurance - Access America ?  (Read 6568 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Travel Insurance - Access America ?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 12:31:41 AM »
Dan
I was only concerned with non-refundable airline tickets. You are saying that with a doctors note that they would refund it? Are there any other ways?

Depends on the agent, it's a YMMV situation.  I've had success in the past with a getting the agent to cancel the itin and waive the change fee so that the full value can be applied to a future ticket.
How much are the tickets, how much is the change fee, and how much is the insurance?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
Side incomer
Does anything relating to the trip need to be paid for using Amex?
For the baggage protection it must, but for the medical insurance its not related at all
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
I used Travelex and had a medical situation in Israel that they reimbursed with no problem at all. the medical is Primary, so there was almost no out of pocket, they were in touch with the hospital all the time and would have even flown us back on a medical jet if needed. And kids are on the plan for free with an adult. I agree that for cancelled tickets, baggage delay, etc, it is not worth it. Anyway many credit cards are covering that.

Some of the cards, CO pres, Penfed Amex and I think Amex plat, pay for medical transport if you need to get back to the US. (If you charge trip to the card) That's good because even if you have insurance in Israel, they are not paying to transport back, so if someone does need a hospital they are going to be in Israel for a long time.

Offline sun365

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
About the Amex insurance that ppl here have mentioned ($9 or $18 per family) can someone give me a working phone number to get this insurance? The number that was posted does not work and when my wife called amex they told it was only per person and at $24 per person...  I'm thinking she might not be reaching the right dept at amex.

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
About the Amex insurance that ppl here have mentioned ($9 or $18 per family) can someone give me a working phone number to get this insurance? The number that was posted does not work and when my wife called amex they told it was only per person and at $24 per person...  I'm thinking she might not be reaching the right dept at amex.
1800-297-2900    Amex Travel Medical Protection

Offline sawlw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »
here's a link https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/travel-medical-insurance/home.do#99

was wondering, living in Israel with my amex cards under a U.S. address, would there be any way to be covered by  this insurance when visiting the u.s. ??

Offline EliH

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 12:34:42 AM »
was wondering, living in Israel with my amex cards under a U.S. address, would there be any way to be covered by  this insurance when visiting the u.s. ??
[/quote]

Same question, having a NYC address for US cards, will it work 100 miles out of NY? Must I show US insurance? .....
Is there such a program for the Israeli based amex?

Offline Bp

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 12:44:44 AM »
here's a link https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/travel-medical-insurance/home.do#99

They told me your only covered for the first 45 days away.

Offline EliH

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »

I was looking for US insurance for the summer in the US, I took the Meuchdet/Harel travel insurance - (not sure if it worth much), and am looking for a better option

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 12:38:11 AM »
Here's my question abt taking a policy.
I'll give background for best advice purposes:
Flyin to one city to visit verysick grandparent- Prayin will still be alive by then in a few weeks... from there going to another city for a week of relaxaton etc... and then goin home...
With that info- I happn to be expecting and will be end of 7th month on the trip (still allowed to fly)
My insurance covers emergency room visits and thats it.

Do I take out insurance on Amex or any other in case chalila smething gets interrupted along the way affecting my already paid hotel bookings (if i book hotwire) and my traveling inerruptions??
What is the smartest way to do this?
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 01:13:23 AM »
I would worry that it may be considered pre-existing, and not covered. However, emergency room visit coverage may very well suffice.

Offline isac

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I used Amex insurance for a few weeks when I went to Israel. Paid like $12 ($18 prorated) and ended up getting like $2000 reimbursement for stiches, an accident and a dentist visit!!

Did you have a whole lengthy process to get covered(prove that primary insurance won't cover.......)?

They requested a whole bunch of stuff to make to claim,and its $125!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »
I am going on a trip in a few months which will cost around six k for two people. Is it worth buying insurance in case we can't make it for some reason? We would be able to get a dr note if need be saying for medical reasons we can't travel.

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
My Travelguard plan seems better than the Amex. It costs $379 yearly to cover everyone in your household under 25 years old. It includes medical expenses (I have successfully recovered Acupuncture treatments twice), medical and non medical Medevac back to  the united states (which could cost $20,000 or more). They were pretty easy to deal with and pay what your own health insurance denies. In the past 2 years the insurance didn't cost me anything since I got money back for treatments I had.

I agree the flight insurance is a scam, but the wife mkes me get it sometimes on the big trips anyway- Shalom Bayis!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »
My Travelguard plan seems better than the Amex. It costs $379 yearly to cover everyone in your household under 25 years old. It includes medical expenses (I have successfully recovered Acupuncture treatments twice), medical and non medical Medevac back to  the united states (which could cost $20,000 or more). They were pretty easy to deal with and pay what your own health insurance denies. In the past 2 years the insurance didn't cost me anything since I got money back for treatments I had.

I agree the flight insurance is a scam, but the wife mkes me get it sometimes on the big trips anyway- Shalom Bayis!

Not to get too personal -- but,  you needed to use them on every trip that you went on the last two years? Or was it one trip for two years long  ;)

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 01:05:53 AM »
Once was for me, once for a family member. They were easy to deal with, easier than Horizon!

Offline RT

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
Can I use Amex insurance as primary insurance? $18/ month is $1100 less than im paying now per month...
I can easily arrange my billing address to be over 150 miles away...

Offline Menucha

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
"easily arrange".

they investigate before paying a big buck. and then your policy would be voided.

for honest address and honest travel, insurance is a great idea. check their limits. is it for a trip max of 45 days?