Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157378 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »
Let me rephrase.  If you want to return the item and you file a claim and they tell you that you can keep it, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Its all about your kavanah.

I agree whole heartedly with everything you said. Which is why it should be irrelevant whether they will make you return theitem
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2012, 09:01:13 PM »
I agree whole heartedly with everything you said. Which is why it should be irrelevant whether they will make you return theitem
The point of these forums isn't always about how to use things like this to beat the system.  Of course anyone can take what they want from it and use it however they want, but this is just an innocent discussion about how some people got lucky.   

Offline gevaldig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
in order spg should cover the extended warranty do i need to still have active that same  card on what i made the purchase?? or any amex card active is enough?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »
in order spg should cover the extended warranty do i need to still have active that same  card on what i made the purchase?? or any amex card active is enough?

Are you posting in the return protection thread and asking about extended warranty or was that a typo?

The answer is (apparently) different.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline gevaldig

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »
i am asking, as i read DDF in this thread, if your not happy with your purchase second year etc, you could get back your money,   do i need to still have active that same  card on what i made the purchase?? or any amex card active is enough?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »
i am asking, as i read DDF in this thread, if your not happy with your purchase second year etc, you could get back your money,   do i need to still have active that same  card on what i made the purchase?? or any amex card active is enough?

Pretty sure you didn't read that, but even if you did, that's not the purpose of extended warranty. A warranty protects against malfunction, not against the whims of your taste.

/preaching

To answer your question, the Extended Warranty does not require that the exact card be open (or so I've read on DDF).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
i am asking, as i read DDF in this thread, if your not happy with your purchase second year etc, you could get back your money,   do i need to still have active that same  card on what i made the purchase?? or any amex card active is enough?

I think return protection is for within 90 days. Someone CMIIW

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
I think return protection is for within 90 days. Someone CMIIW

It is... but I'm still not sure what the OP is asking about.

RP? EW? Different rules, different timelines, different... well, you get the point.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2012, 11:36:36 PM »
It is... but I'm still not sure what the OP is asking about.

RP? EW? Different rules, different timelines, different... well, you get the point.

I don't think its just you.
I'm not sure that he himself knows what hes trying to ask.

Offline gevaldig

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:10 AM »
what part  don't u understand?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
what part  don't u understand?

...seriously?

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
iPhone has a 1 year warranty for technical issues. ie bad battery, slow phone, not turning on. It does not cover if you drop it off a roof or a cracked screen (although, there are reports of getting a nice Apple sales rep and having them  replace it for free).
And, when I bought my iPhone i called Amex, and they said specifically I would be covered, but only for the amount that I charged to my card no the full value (199 vs 650)

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
iPhone has a 1 year warranty for technical issues. ie bad battery, slow phone, not turning on. It does not cover if you drop it off a roof or a cracked screen (although, there are reports of getting a nice Apple sales rep and having them  replace it for free).
And, when I bought my iPhone i called Amex, and they said specifically I would be covered, but only for the amount that I charged to my card no the full value (199 vs 650)

For return protection?  - or are u in the wrong thread?  ???

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2012, 09:29:31 AM »
For return protection?  - or are u in the wrong thread?  ???
I guess I am :) I think people above me got off topic and I just continued.

Offline arch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
I bought an Acer laptop on BF for $250 fro BB. The wife STEPPED ON IT and cracked the screen 2weeks later! amex let me keep it, and refunded my moolah without asking for receipt. I now use it as a desktop plugged into my new 23" Samsung LED monitor........... ;D
Kudos to Dan (again) for letting me know about Amex's 90 day accidental damage warranty
Learner-Churner or Churner-Learner?

Offline TC93

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »
I did this once, three years ago for a digital camera (return protection).  They had me mail the camera to them.  However I asked the lady on the phone what they did with it, but she wouldn't tell me.  However I looked up the name/address they had me mail it to, and it was some company that sells items on ebay (its been so long now I forget the name).

I filed my 2nd return protection this week.  I did it online, but this one was different because they credited my account already, and haven't asked me to send it to them, yet anyways.  You would think they would want it to resell.

Hopefully people won't abuse this, because its a great service they offer.  Its the main reason I use their card over Visa. 

I don't expect to get anything free out of it, I just like being able to return it if the store won't let me.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2012, 01:04:42 AM »
Hopefully people won't abuse this, because its a great service they offer.  Its the main reason I use their card over Visa. 

I don't expect to get anything free out of it, I just like being able to return it if the store won't let me.

Amen to that.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline arch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
Amen to that.

Welcome to the forum!
AJK never welcomed me. :-(

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2012, 01:49:13 AM »
AJK never welcomed me. :-(

I'm not the official "welcomer of DDF." :P

If I happen to see someone with 1 or 2 (or maybe 3) posts, I'll welcome them.

Other people do the same.

But, for fear that someone will call me an unequal opportunity welcomer: welcome!

Offline arch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2012, 02:32:02 AM »
 :D thanks  ;D