Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1185968 times)

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #2360 on: May 23, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
I recently purchased a watch as a surprise present for DW at an airport vendor while coming back on a business trip (The watch price was fairly inline with Amazon). I made sure to ask for the return policy as it was an airport location and of course purchased with an AMEX. The store said the item can be returned in person or via mail within 30 days.

Turns out DW didn't like the watch style (burn) and I sat on it for a 2 weeks hoping she it would grow on her (it didn't). I called the vendor to mail in the return and was informed that they don't process mail in returns and that I was misinformed. I filed a claim under AMEX return protection but was denied because apparently the Watch falls under the Jewelery category.

I then booked a refundable plane ticket, spent 2.5 hours and drove to the airport and paid short term parking to return the item in person. When I got there I was told that their system couldn't accept returns. I kind of lost it on the rep. It seemed from the conversation that their POS system regularly doesn't accept returns (like nearly always). I offered to leave the item and be refunded when it was "working again" but she denied me and said that was not an option. She said that I should've called in and had a return mailing label sent to me. I told her I did call and was denied the option to mail in the item and she told me I was misinformed.

My question is what recourse do I have? Amex Return protection is adamant they will not cover this item. The store is adamant they will not take it back (I am still waiting to hear back from the Franchise owner). I disputed the charge with Amex but am not sure how that will end up.

Does Amex return protection make exceptions to the Jewelery clause? The item was ~$175. I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks!

Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: May 23, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
I recently purchased a watch as a surprise present for DW at an airport vendor while coming back on a business trip (The watch price was fairly inline with Amazon). I made sure to ask for the return policy as it was an airport location and of course purchased with an AMEX. The store said the item can be returned in person or via mail within 30 days.

Turns out DW didn't like the watch style (burn) and I sat on it for a 2 weeks hoping she it would grow on her (it didn't). I called the vendor to mail in the return and was informed that they don't process mail in returns and that I was misinformed. I filed a claim under AMEX return protection but was denied because apparently the Watch falls under the Jewelery category.

I then booked a refundable plane ticket, spent 2.5 hours and drove to the airport and paid short term parking to return the item in person. When I got there I was told that their system couldn't accept returns. I kind of lost it on the rep. It seemed from the conversation that their POS system regularly doesn't accept returns (like nearly always). I offered to leave the item and be refunded when it was "working again" but she denied me and said that was not an option. She said that I should've called in and had a return mailing label sent to me. I told her I did call and was denied the option to mail in the item and she told me I was misinformed.

My question is what recourse do I have? Amex Return protection is adamant they will not cover this item. The store is adamant they will not take it back (I am still waiting to hear back from the Franchise owner). I disputed the charge with Amex but am not sure how that will end up.

Does Amex return protection make exceptions to the Jewelery clause? The item was ~$175. I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks!
I can't think of anything that you didn't try, dispute should go through though

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: May 23, 2016, 03:46:08 PM »
What does the receipt say about returns  does it stipulate NO returns -- 30 days money back?--- some States/Cities have  Return protection laws

--- since price you paid was near Amazon price maybe just sell it on e/bay or Dan's etc  or give as a gift to someone

Offline Mountain Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: May 23, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
What does the receipt say about returns  does it stipulate NO returns -- 30 days money back?--- some States/Cities have  Return protection laws

--- since price you paid was near Amazon price maybe just sell it on e/bay or Dan's etc  or give as a gift to someone
Bottom of the receipt stipulated 30 Days. I'm hoping the AMEX dispute will apply pressure but am a little upset I didn't pay attention to the fine print of the Amex Assurance Return Protection.

Theoretically I could sell it but that might mean taking a loss after seller fees and shipping.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: May 23, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
if still in 30day window contact local Gov't office to find out law--- call Mall /airport retail manager -take to small claim court -- call local tv station --

watch cost $175 and you spent 2 1/2 hours to drive to airport plus gas etc - bght a air ticket-- need to ask yourself - is it worth "x" amount of time without a sure outcome? maybe yes maybe no

Offline Mountain Man

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 23, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
if still in 30day window contact local Gov't office to find out law--- call Mall /airport retail manager -take to small claim court -- call local tv station --

watch cost $175 and you spent 2 1/2 hours to drive to airport plus gas etc - bght a air ticket-- need to ask yourself - is it worth "x" amount of time without a sure outcome? maybe yes maybe no

Well, when I drove to the airport it didn't occur to me that I would be denied a refund. I also thought the time spent trying to return it would be less. The air ticket was southwest so it was fully refunded. Gas and parking was less than the $10 or so that I would've had to pay for return shipping.

I don't plan to spend much more effort on this. I was curious if anyone on DDF had experience with using purchase protection for a watch. If the Amex dispute resolves this then great. If not then I'll try to sell it or give it is a present to someone else.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:09 PM »
Any suggestion what to do if I fixed a transmission for 1600 and paid separately 1000 then 600?
The transmission is bad and I don't feel like dealing with the shop

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 24, 2016, 04:02:54 AM »
Is glasses officially covered ?

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 24, 2016, 08:03:02 AM »
Is glasses officially covered ?
Questionable. Healthcare items are not...
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mike64b

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: May 24, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »
Bought an avalanche shovel (~60usd) for skiing from a local ski shop that I dont need but they closed down for the summer. Would amex return protection apply for this? Should I tell them the shop is closed for the summer?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:09:30 PM by mike64b »

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: May 24, 2016, 07:15:21 PM »
Bought a few pairs of shoes from Zulily that did't fit, got the credit two days after putting in the claim and did not have to return the items

Offline talkitup90

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 24, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
Bought a few pairs of shoes from Zulily that did't fit, got the credit two days after putting in the claim and did not have to return the items

Rough price?

Offline sams

• View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 24, 2016, 11:08:26 PM »
An data points on eye glasses should work??

Offline am77

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 25, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »
Just did RP and EW (2 different items) both less then $50 got credit next day no receipts required

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 25, 2016, 10:54:08 AM »
A store has a 3 day store credit only policy and I think I wrote on day 3 I went to try and return. They denied claim. Can I dispute?
They also said since it's a formal wear item it's not covered ....

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: May 25, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »
A store has a 3 day store credit only policy and I think I wrote on day 3 I went to try and return. They denied claim. Can I dispute?
They also said since it's a formal wear item it's not covered ....
Really formal wear or amex just confused?

I submitted a claim last week mom or Tues, faxed in receipt that day and just got paid today. Looks like they finally are picking up the turnaround time
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 25, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
Was a dress from fashion island on coney island ave .

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 25, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
Was a dress from fashion island on coney island ave .
What defines diurnal wear?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 25, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
Not sure why it's called formal wear. But It was 2 reasons they denied.see above.  Any ideas at this point ?

Offline geewitz71

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 28, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
I bought a computer monitor about more than a month back and never used and don't need it. Best Buy return policy will not let me to return to them. Do you think that it can be covered under Amex return protection?