Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1175912 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3660 on: July 11, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »
Even so, I made a claim for an item from a Canadian company, paid for in CAD and shipped to Canada and they still covered it. Maybe they don't always enforce the US requirement...
The exclusion is for when you purchase the item in a different country, not for when you purchase it in the US but the merchant charges you in a different currency.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: July 11, 2021, 06:35:07 PM »
I made a claim years ago for en ebay item from a Chinese seller
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #3662 on: July 11, 2021, 11:16:02 PM »
The exclusion is for when you purchase the item in a different country, not for when you purchase it in the US but the merchant charges you in a different currency.

So hypothetically, all online purchases from non-U.S. sites (irrespective of shipping destination) are covered if the transaction was initiated from within the U.S.?

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: July 12, 2021, 12:19:53 PM »
is this recorded anywhere or just from experience

Offline HoKo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: July 14, 2021, 06:23:48 PM »
Has anyone ever been able to successfully use return protection on perfume / cologne?

Amex terms specifically exclude perfume:

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: July 14, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »
just filed my first ever claim (on chase or amex) and received credit within a week.

nothing said of returning item so assume can keep :)

feel so stupid that never took advantage of these cc benefits for years.

Nice! What was the item/how much did it cost?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: July 14, 2021, 06:31:31 PM »
Will a item there was partially paid for with a store gift card be covered at least for the part that was paid by credit card?

Not sure if you were still looking for more info here but the amex terms specifically exclude partial payments so I think it'd be a long shot for you (see the 2nd/3rd line of my screenshot). That being said, it doesn't hurt to try...maybe the person processing your claim doesn't notice.

I believe this section of the terms should also address your question regarding documentation. Cheers

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: July 14, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »
I've maximized it on every card I have each year for the last 3-4 years and never had an issue. Some cards I do a lot of spending - some only for the return protection

Do they make you send them most of the items you are claiming for RP?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: July 14, 2021, 06:42:33 PM »
I've maximized it on every card I have each year for the last 3-4 years and never had an issue. Some cards I do a lot of spending - some only for the return protection
You do know this is a public and searchable forum right?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: July 14, 2021, 07:11:44 PM »
The terms state only that the purchase must be made in the US, you sitting at your computer in the US is a purchase made in the US. Personal experience has backed this up.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #3670 on: July 15, 2021, 12:04:23 AM »
The terms state only that the purchase must be made in the US, you sitting at your computer in the US is a purchase made in the US. Personal experience has backed this up.

But how can they even know this? The example given was of an item bought online in Canada, in CAD, shipped to Canada.  Who's to say it wasn't ordered from within Canada, too?  Seems more about chance to me..

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: July 15, 2021, 12:19:07 AM »
But how can they even know this? The example given was of an item bought online in Canada, in CAD, shipped to Canada.  Who's to say it wasn't ordered from within Canada, too?  Seems more about chance to me..
Because you have to send in a receipt and they can always ask got shipping confirmation if they want. I don't really care if you don't believe me though, do whatever you want.

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: July 15, 2021, 12:54:18 AM »
Because you have to send in a receipt and they can always ask got shipping confirmation if they want. I don't really care if you don't believe me though, do whatever you want.

But a receipt shows no indication of where the order was placed if it was online. Don't take it personally, I'm just trying to understand all the angles better.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: July 15, 2021, 12:56:12 AM »
But a receipt shows no indication of where the order was placed if it was online. Don't take it personally, I'm just trying to understand all the angles better.
I'm speaking from experience here, you can file for RP even if you purchased the item in a foreign currency, as long as you bought it in the US. The terms are there to exclude you from going to Italy, buying something and then wanting to return it.

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: July 15, 2021, 02:00:26 AM »
I'm speaking from experience here, you can file for RP even if you purchased the item in a foreign currency, as long as you bought it in the US. The terms are there to exclude you from going to Italy, buying something and then wanting to return it.

So to summarize: online purchases from merchants outside the U.S., even in foreign currency and shipped to a foreign address, are covered?

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #3675 on: July 15, 2021, 02:12:05 AM »
So to summarize: online purchases from merchants outside the U.S., even in foreign currency and shipped to a foreign address, are covered?
I never said that. I think there's a good chance they'll deny you if you ship something to a different country but you're welcome to give it a shot.

Offline xedex08

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: July 15, 2021, 11:37:26 AM »
anyone file a new claim recently?  Every time I click submit it says the system is unavailable.  Trying to see if their system is down.  I have been able to upload documents for a previous claim today though.

Offline Yikes2179

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: July 15, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
anyone file a new claim recently?  Every time I click submit it says the system is unavailable.  Trying to see if their system is down.  I have been able to upload documents for a previous claim today though.
Yes. Even though it says that after you submit go back to the claims page and you will see a new open claim

Offline chookshook

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: July 15, 2021, 11:56:39 AM »
Will two of the same item purchased on the same receipt qualify for $600 back or $300. They each cost about $290 excluding tax.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: July 15, 2021, 12:08:42 PM »
Will two of the same item purchased on the same receipt qualify for $600 back or $300. They each cost about $290 excluding tax.
Same receipt would be $300 max