Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1172602 times)

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4020 on: August 29, 2022, 04:50:53 PM »
Is the $300 max item cost before or after tax?
The item can be more than $300, but you'll Only get credited $300. The remainder will be denied.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: August 30, 2022, 05:30:29 AM »
Is the $300 max item cost before or after tax?

The $300 is the maximum that they'll reimburse you for, and it doesn't matter if that includes tax or if it doesn't include tax. You can claim a $290 item that was $315 including tax, and they'll refund you $300. You can claim a $270 item that was $297 with tax, and they'll refund you $297. You can claim a $700 item that was $750 including tax, and they'll refund you $300. It's not a "maximum item cost" per se, in the sense that they won't allow you to claim an item that was over $300 before or after tax; it's just that no matter how much you paid for the item, they'll never reimburse you for over $300 of the amount you paid. But they will include the sales tax in the amount of the reimbursement, but, again, the most you'll get back on any Return Protection claim is $300.

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: September 04, 2022, 02:57:44 PM »
I ordered about 4 baby footsie in different colors that were on sale but overlooked the small fine print that items on sale were final sale. Now that the footsie has arrived, the sizing is wrong and I cannot return due to them been tagged as final sale.

My question is when I will raise a return protection request, do I list each of the footsie separately or just add them as 1 combined with count noted as 4?

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: September 05, 2022, 10:07:06 AM »
I ordered about 4 baby footsie in different colors that were on sale but overlooked the small fine print that items on sale were final sale. Now that the footsie has arrived, the sizing is wrong and I cannot return due to them been tagged as final sale.

My question is when I will raise a return protection request, do I list each of the footsie separately or just add them as 1 combined with count noted as 4?
If they were sold individually then list each separately.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: September 05, 2022, 10:09:58 PM »

Yes, that sounds correct. If each one of the four had an individual price--in other words, say, each one was $5 and you paid $20 for four of them, as opposed to paying $20 for a four-pack--then you should list them individually. Furthermore, if the color of individual items differs, then they're considered different inventory items by the store, even if they're otherwise the same make/model/style, so that's all the more reason to list them individually on your claim. Basically, list them on your claim the same way that they were listed on your receipt/invoice from the business that sold them to you.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: September 08, 2022, 10:25:14 AM »
How long is it taking you guys to get your claim approved lately? Seems like it is slowing down again

Offline Dover

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: September 08, 2022, 01:21:33 PM »
How long is it taking you guys to get your claim approved lately? Seems like it is slowing down again

Very quick actually- 2 days till I got the first forms, 2 days later approved.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: September 08, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »

The last claim I filed--just over a week ago--was approved within 48 hours of my submission of the claim documents and receipt, just like the other claims I filed over the past six months.There were times when it took them over a week to send me the claim documents after I filed the initial claim, though, which was surprising. But in terms of the time it takes for approval after submitting the completed forms and receipt, it's been a lot faster (in my experience) these past six months than the two weeks it was taking about a year ago.

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: September 09, 2022, 12:17:07 PM »

Yes, that sounds correct. If each one of the four had an individual price--in other words, say, each one was $5 and you paid $20 for four of them, as opposed to paying $20 for a four-pack--then you should list them individually. Furthermore, if the color of individual items differs, then they're considered different inventory items by the store, even if they're otherwise the same make/model/style, so that's all the more reason to list them individually on your claim. Basically, list them on your claim the same way that they were listed on your receipt/invoice from the business that sold them to you.

Thanks guys for the explanation and help.

Anyways i was able to get the retailer to replace them with correct sizing, so saved going through the claim process but good to keep in mind for future.

Offline STL EQUITIES

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: September 11, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »
Doing return protection on a $2000 MacBook, what are the chances they make me return it

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: September 12, 2022, 01:07:55 PM »
Doing return protection on a $2000 MacBook, what are the chances they make me return it
Pretty sure, they will ask you to send it back since the max return eligible is $300 while the product is almost 6x more than that amount. I have not claimed for such a high value product nor I have read in previous posts, but it would be a surprise if they do not ask you to send it to them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 01:12:29 PM by droidtest »

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: September 12, 2022, 01:20:14 PM »
Pretty sure, they will ask you to send it back since the max return eligible is $300 while the product is almost 6x more than that amount. I have not claimed for such a high value product nor I have read in previous posts, but it would be a surprise if they do not ask you to send it to them.

maybe, maybe not.  you could make an argument that from Amex's perspective their exposure is limited to $300 regardless of whether the item you are claiming was exactly $300 or $2,000.

I suppose the Counterpoint is that if American Express is interested in trying to recoup value from these items, perhaps they would be more inclined to ask you to send them back since they should be able to easily cover their $300 loss by reselling that laptop.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: September 13, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »
maybe, maybe not.  you could make an argument that from Amex's perspective their exposure is limited to $300 regardless of whether the item you are claiming was exactly $300 or $2,000.

I suppose the Counterpoint is that if American Express is interested in trying to recoup value from these items, perhaps they would be more inclined to ask you to send them back since they should be able to easily cover their $300 loss by reselling that laptop.

Yeah but then you are just better off selling it yourself. If you gave it to AmEx, you're giving up a laptop worth a lot more and only getting $300 back. Makes no sense to proceed with the claim if they ask you to send it in.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: September 13, 2022, 01:01:29 PM »
Yeah but then you are just better off selling it yourself. If you gave it to AmEx, you're giving up a laptop worth a lot more and only getting $300 back. Makes no sense to proceed with the claim if they ask you to send it in.

Yup I completely agree. Just cuz you start a claim doesn't mean you need to actually send them the item if they ask for it...just abandon the claim at that point.

Offline Dover

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: September 16, 2022, 12:47:02 AM »
Any DP's on using return protection on business cards for personal (clothing etc.)? Any issues?
All the charges on my account are clearly all one particular particular business category-if my account gets looked over...

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: September 16, 2022, 09:16:17 AM »
I haven't had or heard of any issues with this.

Offline nonstoptravel101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
« Reply #4036 on: September 16, 2022, 01:22:32 PM »
Anyone have an DP on claiming return protection for mattresses?

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: September 16, 2022, 02:51:31 PM »
Anyone have an DP on claiming return protection for mattresses?
It is not listed in the list of exclusions, so should be good for RP claim.

Offline Dover

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: September 18, 2022, 12:06:45 AM »
Does an item that's only exchangeable (not returnable) eligible?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: September 18, 2022, 12:17:42 AM »
Any DP's on using return protection on business cards for personal (clothing etc.)? Any issues?
All the charges on my account are clearly all one particular particular business category-if my account gets looked over...

I've made RetPro claims on my business cards for personal items before and never had a problem. Plus, there's nothing at all stated in the T&C's, just that you bought the item, still have possession of it (i.e., didn't exchange it, get a refund for it, or otherwise dispose of it), and paid for it 100% using your card. So it shouldn't be a problem. Nor do they (as far as I can tell) look over your account history. I believe that RetPro and the other benefits are all dealt with by AmEx Assurance, and I've never gotten the impression that they were able to look back over my account to see specifics of what I had been buying in the past...that--to me at least--would be an invasion of privacy.