Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1183742 times)

Offline seespotjump

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4060 on: November 05, 2022, 05:32:48 PM »
Has anyone tried doing return protection on a Facebook Marketplace purchase? If eBay works it seems like Facebook might also work.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: November 07, 2022, 09:39:13 AM »
I am pretty sure warranty protection continues even if you have cancelled the main card. I think you still have coverage as long as you still have some other Amex card. Also confirmed through thread here. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1163921-extended-warranty-after-card-cancellation-but-still-holding-another-card.html

I currently have a warranty claim in process for a card I closed many years ago. The item had a 3 year warranty and failed in the 4th year. No problem submitting the claim via phone, but no approval as of yet.

Here is my update on this as requested.

I finally received an email that my warranty claim was accepted. (It took me a while to get the estimate, and they had additional iterative questions for me to prove it was new, since bought on Ebay, and then they couldn't find the charge, since the item was so long ago, so I provided an additional receipt which showed the last 4 and gave them the complete card number).

So, as long as you have an Amex card of some type, you can still receive warranty coverage for an item bought with a card which has since been cancelled.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: November 07, 2022, 10:06:26 AM »
Here is my update on this as requested.

I finally received an email that my warranty claim was accepted. (It took me a while to get the estimate, and they had additional iterative questions for me to prove it was new, since bought on Ebay, and then they couldn't find the charge, since the item was so long ago, so I provided an additional receipt which showed the last 4 and gave them the complete card number).

So, as long as you have an Amex card of some type, you can still receive warranty coverage for an item bought with a card which has since been cancelled.

Very interesting (and not the outcome I would've expected). Congrats

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: November 21, 2022, 01:08:05 PM »
Just got approved within a couple of hours without needing to send in anything! First time in a long time.

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: November 21, 2022, 01:33:00 PM »
Just got approved within a couple of hours without needing to send in anything! First time in a long time.
That's probably due to the fact that total was under 99

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: November 21, 2022, 01:47:41 PM »
That's probably due to the fact that total was under 99
In the past I was asked for receipts even on less than that.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: November 22, 2022, 11:37:46 AM »
I was just denied for hover board buggy attachment due to:

"Under the Limitations section of Return Protection, it states: ... "Items not eligible for a
refund are: ...motorized vehicles (such as cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, or airplanes ) and
their parts and accessories;"…"

Was approved for the same device on a different card. Claim made the same day, lol.
The one denied was for two devices, so total over $100.
The one approved was for a single one at $56, that didn't require sending in proof.

Was also approved for several ebikes, and the actual hover boards, these buggies attach to. So very strange, just an indication it depends on the person reviewing.
I might put through two separate claims for each buggy if I want to push it.

Also, this is the first I have seen where they haven't approved an electric motor. I had noted that the language had changed I believe from "gas powered" to "motorized" at some time, or something like that. So electric motorized items may be coming under more scrutiny at times now.

Offline solmeir

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: November 22, 2022, 12:21:16 PM »
I called in to ask about a ebike. The rep said they would deny the claim due to it being motorized

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: November 22, 2022, 03:34:51 PM »
I called in to ask about a ebike. The rep said they would deny the claim due to it being motorized

Thanks for the info. I was concerned about that, and perhaps they are getting more strict at the moment. It is likely up to how the individual processing the claim handles it.

I have had several ebikes approved in the last two months.

I don't call them ebikes, I just call it a bike or bicycle, but the description and pictures are right there on the order with watts, etc.

Also 3 hoverboards approved. Which of course only exist with an electric motor.

I think warranty coverage could be iffy as well.

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: November 22, 2022, 06:40:30 PM »
If the company lets you return but for a fee, is that covered?

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4070 on: November 22, 2022, 06:42:56 PM »
If the company lets you return but for a fee, is that covered?
restocking fees are covered
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: December 02, 2022, 12:05:42 AM »
Generally the item needs to be new for it to qualify.
What happens if I buy a used item from ebay? Does that qualify?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: December 02, 2022, 12:37:50 AM »
Generally the item needs to be new for it to qualify.
What happens if I buy a used item from ebay? Does that qualify?

No it would not qualify, as I understand it. In fact you should take a screen shot of the listing, showing it as new, if you buy a new item.

I don't think the basic receipt shows it as new or not. So you could get by.

For a recent warranty claim they made me prove it was a new item before they covered it. For a couple of ebay return protection claims they did not make me prove it was new.
I believe I read from other posters here that they did require they prove the item was new, by showing the original listing.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4073 on: December 07, 2022, 10:14:29 PM »
Phones are covered?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: December 08, 2022, 11:13:39 AM »
Phones are covered?

Yes, I have had phones covered.

Offline thorax

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: December 13, 2022, 11:06:22 AM »
If an item is purchased in December, but the claim is filed in January, what calendar year is that associated with?

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: December 13, 2022, 11:11:27 AM »
If an item is purchased in December 2022, but the claim is filed in January 2023, what calendar year is that associated with?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: December 13, 2022, 03:18:23 PM »
If an item is purchased in December, but the claim is filed in January, what calendar year is that associated with?

Likely also dependent on when your card was actually charged. Dell is notorious for not charging until shipped and I have lost out on Amex Dell credits for this. I believe this would affect the year the return credit is charged to as well.

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: December 15, 2022, 11:15:53 PM »
I just today few hours back filed a claim for a bag and shoe that i got as final sale but both had bad marks which render them kind useless. After submitting the claim, I did not get any email that claim has been received instead now when I log in now it says claim is closed.

Now I'm not sure what happened or the current status, anyone has experience like this? I'm not sure if it will worth going after customer care on the phone or just wait to see if they send any mail communication.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: December 16, 2022, 01:00:55 PM »
I just today few hours back filed a claim for a bag and shoe that i got as final sale but both had bad marks which render them kind useless. After submitting the claim, I did not get any email that claim has been received instead now when I log in now it says claim is closed.

Now I'm not sure what happened or the current status, anyone has experience like this? I'm not sure if it will worth going after customer care on the phone or just wait to see if they send any mail communication.

I would just wait a while and see what happens. I have had were I accidently typed in an incorrect email address, so they had to send things through the mail. So something like that may have happened. I think I have had cases as well, where I haven't received the first email from Amex with the claim number saying they are reviewing etc. Also, if this is a small amount they may just credit you for the amount without asking for receipt etc. So you can always just check your account to see if you get a credit.