Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1181376 times)

Offline Tex

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4080 on: December 25, 2022, 07:17:36 PM »
How many times do you usually use this a year? I used it twice this year for $180 sun glasses and $150 chair.
Do they frown on too many claims or start denying after a few?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: December 26, 2022, 11:17:22 AM »
They have never denied me for several claims. I don't know if they eventually would do so.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: December 26, 2022, 12:15:27 PM »
I am pretty sure warranty protection continues even if you have cancelled the main card. I think you still have coverage as long as you still have some other Amex card. Also confirmed through thread here. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1163921-extended-warranty-after-card-cancellation-but-still-holding-another-card.html

I currently have a warranty claim in process for a card I closed many years ago. The item had a 3 year warranty and failed in the 4th year. No problem submitting the claim via phone, but no approval as of yet.

Did you get approval on this?

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: December 26, 2022, 02:39:28 PM »
Anyone filed an RP claim after their card was closed (so within 90 days)? Apparently this used to not be covered but now is since they removed the language in 2017 or so from the limitations and exclusions section.

Offline DaasTora

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: December 26, 2022, 02:56:02 PM »
Anyone have any experience with claiming for used items bought on eBay? I once did it and got approved but next time they told me that it’s not covered. I actually checked the t&c and it’s not covered officially. Any dp’s welcome.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4085 on: December 27, 2022, 12:13:24 PM »
Just got approved within a couple of hours without needing to send in anything! First time in a long time.
That's probably due to the fact that total was under 99
Approved yesterday within a few hours for $135
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: December 27, 2022, 03:26:27 PM »
They have never denied me for several claims. I don't know if they eventually would do so.

What were the reason(s) for denial?

Offline Yikes2179

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: December 27, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »
How many times do you usually use this a year? I used it twice this year for $180 sun glasses and $150 chair.
I have never had a claim denied

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: December 28, 2022, 02:04:23 PM »
What were the reason(s) for denial?

Strange question, since I ha said they have never denied me for several claims.

However, yes, I a have had a couple of denials, which you could see I commented on in this thread.
One was due to the item be an an accessory to a motorized vehicle. (Buggy that attached to a hover board.)
Another was I had mistakenly put the wrong date on the return attempt, which put it within the merchants return time frame.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: December 28, 2022, 02:08:30 PM »
Did you get approval on this?

Yes, see my update in Reply #4061.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: December 28, 2022, 02:15:53 PM »
Anyone filed an RP claim after their card was closed (so within 90 days)? Apparently this used to not be covered but now is since they removed the language in 2017 or so from the limitations and exclusions section.

Would like to know this too. I have a couple of platinum cards I would like to close, to save me the annual fee being charged in Jan, but have some return claims I would like to make on them, which I can't make until February.
I think I will keep the card open until I file the claim, then downgrade to green to get most of the annual fee refunded.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: December 28, 2022, 03:39:43 PM »
Strange question, since I ha said they have never denied me for several claims.

I misread your initial post  :)

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: December 28, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »
I was thinking of making a claim for an inline exhaust fan, but I am thinking it could be denied due to: "22. land, buildings and fixtures (including but not limited to, central air conditioner, built-in kitchen appliance and
water heater);"

Pretty similar to air conditioner and it would be built into the ducting.

Probably going to skip it.

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: December 28, 2022, 08:15:37 PM »
I was thinking of making a claim for an inline exhaust fan, but I am thinking it could be denied due to: "22. land, buildings and fixtures (including but not limited to, central air conditioner, built-in kitchen appliance and
water heater);"

I did it for air-conditioned, but it was portable

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: December 28, 2022, 09:30:53 PM »
water heater);"

Can it hurt to try?

Offline coolmuke

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4095 on: December 31, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »
If an item is purchased in December, but the claim is filed in January, what calendar year is that associated with?
To add to this question, is it the order date or charge posting date on the card? I know for amex offers/credits, its the charge posting date. Not sure about return/purchase protection.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: January 01, 2023, 07:03:36 AM »
Yes, I have had phones covered.

Could you be slightly more specific about the type of phone and the price range? I'm just curious because I somehow imagined that cell phones were on the "exclusions" list, but I just checked again, and they're not. This would have been useful information to know in the past (or, actually, may be in the future again, too!). Thanks!

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: January 01, 2023, 07:12:00 AM »
Anyone have any experience with claiming for used items bought on eBay? I once did it and got approved but next time they told me that it’s not covered. I actually checked the t&c and it’s not covered officially. Any dp’s welcome.

It clearly states that the item has to be new. The fact that you got approved for a used item in the past just goes to show how inconsistent the people reviewing our claims can be. I once submitted a claim and had them ask for the "receipt showing that the item was purchased new at Best Buy" when, in fact, I did NOT buy the item at Best Buy. Another time, for an item that was purchased in 2019 but which I claimed in 2020, they counted that toward my 2020 calendar year purchases (in other words, when I tried to file a claim in 2020, they told me I had exceeded the $1,000 calendar-year limit, when in fact I hadn't unless they counted that 2019 purchase which was made, and posted, well before the end of 2019). I've never had them ask for an item back, but they've made strange requests before, like once when they requested a letter from the retailer stating that I had not returned the item. So I think you just got lucky when they approved that claim for that used item. That's definitely helpful information for the rest of us to know that we might possible skate through to approval like that claim did for you, so I guess it's always worth a try, but I wouldn't count on it happening again. :-)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: January 01, 2023, 07:16:54 AM »

Both from personal experience, and from reading between the lines of people who post saying that they've made "numerous" or "several" claims in a year, I'd say the answer to your question is that no, as long as they're not given any reason to suspect fraudulent activity, you can file as many claims as you'd like up to the $1,000 limit per year (based on the calendar year of the purchase) per card account, for each card account that you hold, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's a benefit that they offer us, one that I've been using for seven or eight years now, and I'm sure some others here have been using it for far longer than me, and I still always receive the same gratitude ("Thank you for using Return Protection") in every approval letter that they send me. So, claim away! :-)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: January 01, 2023, 07:26:02 AM »
If an item is purchased in December (2022), but the claim is filed in January (2023), what calendar year is that associated with?

Everyone saying that a December 2022 purchase would/should be associated with the 2022 calendar year is technically correct, BUT, be forewarned that I once filed a claim (I believe it was in January 2020 for a December 2019 purchase over $300, so they refunded me a full $300 for that claim), and then I had additional claims later in 2020 for items that were purchased in 2020, and when I filed my third claim for a year-2020 purchase, they stated in the letter that they could only reimburse me for part of the price (under $300) because the T&C states that you can only use Return Protection for up to $1,000 per calendar year. I didn't appeal the decision because it was only a small amount denied, just to throw a number out there, the claim might have been for $290, and they refunded me $271 and told me that the other $19 was over my $1,000 annual limit. They were clearly in the wrong, because at that point, I hadn't claimed over $700 in year-2020 purchases, so I was still $300 under the $1,000 threshold if you only counted the year-2020 purchases, so they clearly included in their calculation the $300 that they approved in January of 2020 even though it was for a year-2019 purchase. I imagine that if I would have appealed it, they would have realized their error, but I didn't want to attract any unnecessary attention for less than $20. As I just noted in another reply a few minutes ago, this is only one of several strange inconsistencies/errors that I've encountered over the past eight years, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with some of their claims?