Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1184059 times)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4100 on: January 01, 2023, 07:31:33 AM »
To add to this question, is it the order date or charge posting date on the card? I know for amex offers/credits, its the charge posting date. Not sure about return/purchase protection.

I doubt that anyone here has that type of really specific insight into how AmEx Assurance Company employees calculate things, and even calling to ask can get you different replies from different agents. The only real way to find out would be to give it a try. Personally, I would err on the side of caution, and assume that even if I purchase something on December 27th, 2022, if the charge doesn't post until January 1st, 2023, it's going to count toward my 2023 calendar year purchases. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to try, I guess, but if you're planning ahead, I wouldn't count on it being considered a 2022 purchase. Then again, if you were in a situation where you really needed to file a claim and this caused a later claim to be denied for being over the $1,000 annual limit per card account for return protection, you could always submit an appeal with a letter explaining that it clearly states on Amazon or eBay or Dell or whatever, that your date of purchase was "December 27, 2022", even if the charge didn't post until 2023. No idea how they'd respond to that, but at least you'd have formal documentation on your side. When filling out a claim, it asks when the purchase was made, so I always put the purchase date as listed on, for example, an Amazon or eBay "Order Details" page, as the claim documents ask for "purchase date", not "date of charge on your American Express bill".

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: January 01, 2023, 12:08:42 PM »
Can it hurt to try?

It could hurt because I may not buy it if I know it isn't covered. May give it a try. Looking for solutions to cool my AV room. The items I am thinking of buying may or may not work.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: January 01, 2023, 12:11:53 PM »
Could you be slightly more specific about the type of phone and the price range? I'm just curious because I somehow imagined that cell phones were on the "exclusions" list, but I just checked again, and they're not. This would have been useful information to know in the past (or, actually, may be in the future again, too!). Thanks!

LG V20's and V40's, OnePlus 8. $300 to $400 range.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: January 01, 2023, 10:46:24 PM »
To add to this question, is it the order date or charge posting date on the card? I know for amex offers/credits, its the charge posting date. Not sure about return/purchase protection.
IME it’s the order date

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: January 02, 2023, 12:08:42 AM »
LG V20's and V40's, OnePlus 8. $300 to $400 range.

Thanks for the info, and for making me realize that I was totally wrong about cell phones being excluded from Return Protection!

Happy New Year everyone!

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: January 02, 2023, 12:13:52 AM »
Is splitting a charge between 2 cards eligible for RP?

Online bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: January 02, 2023, 12:57:41 AM »
items need to be purchased in usa, if i purchase from amazon. however shipped from amazon global uk is it eligible for return protection ?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: January 02, 2023, 03:19:14 AM »
items need to be purchased in usa, if i purchase from amazon. however shipped from amazon global uk is it eligible for return protection ?

Someone asked this before (sometime in 2021, I think), and based on the responses, I tried ordering a couple smartwatches from a non-US Amazon site (i.e., not Amazon.com, but instead, the overseas sites like Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.it), shipped to my U.S. address, and I was successful in claiming both watches without any problems or additional inquiries from AmEx assurance. So I think their rationale is, you're "purchasing in the U.S.A." if your billing address and shipping address are in the USA, as long as it's an online purchase. I wouldn't test my luck trying to buy something in a store when I'm overseas, though, as the receipt would most likely show that you were not physically in the USA when making the purchase. Anyhow, all the more so if you're actually buying off of Amazon.com or ebay.com, then that's an American website/address, and so it definitely shouldn't matter where the item is being shipped from.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: January 02, 2023, 03:22:35 AM »
Is splitting a charge between 2 cards eligible for RP?

I'd seriously doubt it, since the T&C states that the entire purchase price must have been paid using your AmEx "card", in the singular, not "card(s)". I don't recall seeing any data points about this, but maybe give them a call and ask? The thing that makes me doubt that this would work is that by definition, if you charge, say, $300 on Card A and the other $150 on Card B, and then you go to claim it using your Return Protection from Card A, they'll see based on the receipt/invoice that you didn't charge the entire amount on Card A. But if you find out any different, we're all ears!

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: January 02, 2023, 03:58:12 AM »
Yes, see my update in Reply #4061.

You didn’t state whether you got $ reimbursed?

Online bmw

• View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: January 02, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Someone asked this before (sometime in 2021, I think), and based on the responses, I tried ordering a couple smartwatches from a non-US Amazon site (i.e., not Amazon.com, but instead, the overseas sites like Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.it), shipped to my U.S. address, and I was successful in claiming both watches without any problems or additional inquiries from AmEx assurance. So I think their rationale is, you're "purchasing in the U.S.A." if your billing address and shipping address are in the USA, as long as it's an online purchase. I wouldn't test my luck trying to buy something in a store when I'm overseas, though, as the receipt would most likely show that you were not physically in the USA when making the purchase. Anyhow, all the more so if you're actually buying off of Amazon.com or ebay.com, then that's an American website/address, and so it definitely shouldn't matter where the item is being shipped from.

thanks for the info !

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: January 02, 2023, 12:02:04 PM »
You didn’t state whether you got $ reimbursed?

Yes, I received email that my warranty claim was accepted and I was reimbursed. Both for the item and the $125 fee charged by the company to do the inspection/estimate.

FYI, they at first put the credit back to my long canceled card. Perhaps I would have eventually received a negative balance check for this, but I called in and they reversed the credit and sent me a check.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: January 02, 2023, 12:15:28 PM »
Yes, I received email that my warranty claim was accepted and I was reimbursed. Both for the item and the $125 fee charged by the company to do the inspection/estimate.

FYI, they at first put the credit back to my long canceled card. Perhaps I would have eventually received a negative balance check for this, but I called in and they reversed the credit and sent me a check.

If that ever happens in the future, another thing you can do is to call them or chat with them and ask them to transfer that negative credit balance to one of your other cards that has a balance. I just had to do that when they refunded an annual fee to a card that I had since closed, so I had them apply that to the balance of one of my cards that's still open.

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: January 02, 2023, 12:28:35 PM »
I'd seriously doubt it, since the T&C states that the entire purchase price must have been paid using your AmEx "card", in the singular, not "card(s)". I don't recall seeing any data points about this, but maybe give them a call and ask? The thing that makes me doubt that this would work is that by definition, if you charge, say, $300 on Card A and the other $150 on Card B, and then you go to claim it using your Return Protection from Card A, they'll see based on the receipt/invoice that you didn't charge the entire amount on Card A. But if you find out any different, we're all ears!
Thanks for your response. I do know someone who told me that he had success and he was actually approved on both cards for the amount paid but I guess that’s not according to the T&C

Online bmw

• View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: January 10, 2023, 03:57:41 PM »
sorry if been asked before, but i couldnt sift throught 200 pages...

would new open box from ebay be eligible ?

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: January 10, 2023, 05:09:55 PM »
According to the T&C it’s not eligible, but not always enforced

Offline xoSushi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: January 13, 2023, 12:35:46 PM »
Got this message from the claims department. Any suggestions? I am trying to claim a jacket that was final sale.

"Please provide proof that a return attempt was made and the outcome of it to continue with this claim."

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: January 15, 2023, 02:27:43 AM »
Got this message from the claims department. Any suggestions? I am trying to claim a jacket that was final sale.

"Please provide proof that a return attempt was made and the outcome of it to continue with this claim."

I’m pretty sure final sale/close out items are excluded? See return protection terms of service.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: January 15, 2023, 09:10:30 AM »
I’m pretty sure final sale/close out items are excluded? See return protection terms of service.
No, of course they're not excluded. That's the whole point of return protection.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: January 15, 2023, 12:36:52 PM »
No, of course they're not excluded. That's the whole point of return protection.