Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1184263 times)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile

Offline mahnishma

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4121 on: January 30, 2023, 05:01:44 PM »
Anyone know if a becher cup qualify (over $300)?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4122 on: January 31, 2023, 12:23:09 AM »
Amazon "renewed" works for RP?

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: February 02, 2023, 06:51:09 PM »
Did RP for a final sale item & only realized after they asked that I didn’t have documentation. Would it be a problem to just make a new claim stating that I tried to return after 30 days which is the retailers return policy or they’ll notice the duplicate claim with diff dates?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: February 04, 2023, 04:03:04 AM »
Amazon "renewed" works for RP?

My understanding of the Terms & Conditions has always been that "Renewed" and "Refurbished" items aren't truly "New" and therefore wouldn't qualify for Return Protection, but I, too, would be very interested to hear if anyone else has any data points on this!

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: February 04, 2023, 04:07:24 AM »
Did RP for a final sale item & only realized after they asked that I didn’t have documentation. Would it be a problem to just make a new claim stating that I tried to return after 30 days which is the retailers return policy or they’ll notice the duplicate claim with diff dates?

It's always seemed to me that there are multiple claims adjusters taking a look at these things, so it might be okay if you submit a new claim taking the "more than 30 days after purchase" route, and then once that's approved, maybe write to them and tell them that the other claim (the first one you filed, claiming "final sale") was a duplicate claim that you accidentally filed and would like to close, or, perhaps simply wait for them to close it themselves due to your lack of response after 60 days have passed since they first requested documentation from you. Does anyone else here have a better idea if, in the case of an erroneously-filed claim, it would be better to let them close it themselves due to your lack of response, or whether it would be better to take the initiative and notify them that a claim you filed was a duplicate and done in error?

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: February 04, 2023, 11:14:42 PM »
How do I link the listing to my purchase?
As far as Amex is concerned I could’ve bought a used and sent a random listing.

Happens to be that’s what I did. Hoping for the best.

The eBay item you bought, was it from a private seller? But return protection worked as long as the item was listed as new?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: February 04, 2023, 11:22:44 PM »
How do I link the listing to my purchase?
As far as Amex is concerned I could’ve bought a used and sent a random listing.

Happens to be that’s what I did. Hoping for the best.
They ask for copy of receipt.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4128 on: February 05, 2023, 12:21:16 PM »
I am going to let several Tesla orders cancel. Any idea if I can try to recoup the $250 order fee through Return Protection or perhaps one of the other Amex protections? Purchased with Business Platinum.

Another option is a dispute but I doubt that is ethical or would work. My only potential claim for that could be that they did not make the delivery date.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: February 05, 2023, 07:28:15 PM »
I don’t think that’s eligible because everything car related is excluded. Here’s a quote from the T&C
“motorized vehicles (including, but not limited to, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, and airplanes), their parts and accessories (e.g. car battery) as well as those parts and accessories intended for use with the motorized vehicles (e.g. a trailer or audio or visual components);“
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 07:34:14 PM by 1najol1 »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4130 on: February 05, 2023, 07:43:49 PM »
I don’t think that’s eligible because everything car related is excluded. Here’s a quote from the T&C
“motorized vehicles (including, but not limited to, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, and airplanes), their parts and accessories (e.g. car battery) as well as those parts and accessories intended for use with the motorized vehicles (e.g. a trailer or audio or visual components);“
Thanks! Technically it’s just the “order fee” not the car but you’re probably right.

What about the other protections?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: February 05, 2023, 11:45:39 PM »
The only thing I can think of is disputing for service not received, if you will answer again, and again, I think they will lose according to my experience by AMEX who answers the last wins. But you don’t have anything to lose anyway

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: February 06, 2023, 12:10:34 AM »
The only thing I can think of is disputing for service not received, if you will answer again, and again, I think they will lose according to my experience by AMEX who answers the last wins. But you don’t have anything to lose anyway

Thank you for posting this. This is very important for people to know in life. Amex is no longer the gold standard in consumer protection. It hasn't been for years. It's probably one of the worst cards on the market in that regard. If you're spending serious money on something that you need protection for, never use an Amex. If anything goes wrong, you'll be up the creek with nobody competent to talk to.

Amex and Amazon are both good for small dollar customer service cases and absolutely horrible when you have any real issues. They both have good reputations which are currently totally undeserved. People should be updated and do their research properly, especially when there's real money at stake.

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: February 06, 2023, 12:14:19 AM »
Officially watches are excluded from RP did anyone try to claim RP on a smartwatch?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: February 06, 2023, 04:13:13 AM »
Officially watches are excluded from RP did anyone try to claim RP on a smartwatch?

Yes, I've filed successful Return Protection claims for Samsung smartwatches twice in the past, and that was only after receiving confirmation from someone on here that they, too, had had multiple claims approved for smartwatches. I think they (correctly) consider smartwatches to be an electronics device (which is the category you'll need to select when filing your claim), while a "watch" to them is the old-fashioned type that has completely different parts inside (especially analog watches) and some of which can be rather expensive (although some smartwatches are, too). Short answer: yes. :-)

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: February 06, 2023, 09:30:15 AM »
Can an item that sold brand new but comes with signs of use be returned under return protection if merchant refuses?

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: February 06, 2023, 03:12:32 PM »
Thank you for posting this. This is very important for people to know in life. Amex is no longer the gold standard in consumer protection. It hasn't been for years. It's probably one of the worst cards on the market in that regard. If you're spending serious money on something that you need protection for, never use an Amex. If anything goes wrong, you'll be up the creek with nobody competent to talk to.

Really?
Which card is better??

Online sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: February 06, 2023, 06:38:09 PM »

Amex and Amazon are both good for small dollar customer service cases and absolutely horrible when you have any real issues. They both have good reputations which are currently totally undeserved. People should be updated and do their research properly, especially when there's real money at stake.

+1

The few times I've disputed charges, the seller won, and when I called AMEX to discuss and follow up, they were forced to agree that whoever had sided with the seller obviously had not read my letter detailing the issue, nor reviewed my evidence (e.g., emails from store stating I requested no substitutions, and then then next email explaining what they substituted at a higher price).

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: February 10, 2023, 09:25:16 AM »
Got denied as they claim can be returned for store credit,  is this a valid reason?

Offline Platinum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: February 10, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »

Who is the gold standard these days?