Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1187425 times)

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4280 on: October 26, 2023, 02:18:37 PM »
I have a pending return protection claim on clothing.  Tomorrow is last day to close my card to get a refund of the annual fee, what will happen to my claim if I close the account?  If it gets approved, where will the credit be sent to?  Anyone with past experience?  Thank you.

They will still pay it out on the card as a credit.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: October 26, 2023, 05:30:37 PM »
Am I eligible for return protection if I pay in installments through klarna or PayPal split, etc...? Amex terms say must be paid in full on the card, does that mean in I charge or even installments are covered?

My guess is that this would make you ineligible...but give them a call and come back to update the thread

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: November 07, 2023, 02:10:03 AM »
They will still pay it out on the card as a credit.
so what happen

Offline Darth1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: November 13, 2023, 03:30:10 PM »
Is an opened item considered "the original purchase condition"?

I want to make a claim on shirts that cant be returned because the original packaging has been open but the shirts have not been worn.

Offline ScottParfunu

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: November 13, 2023, 04:43:57 PM »
I saw some posts about this back in 2015/2019 but wanted to see if anyone had a recent experience.

I'm looking at purchasing something from a US based company, but they import stuff from overseas. Payments are treated as foreign transaction due to how the company is set up it seems. I guess it's like a marketplace and we're just paying the vendors we're importing from.

RP terms say: "Purchases must be made in the 50 United Sates of America, ..." which is a bit vague to me. Some old posts from people say they've had complete international purchases covered, but the CSR I talked to said foreign transactions aren't eligible. It sounded like the CSR wasn't completely sure though.

Offline 6girls

• View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: November 13, 2023, 06:26:23 PM »
I saw some posts about this back in 2015/2019 but wanted to see if anyone had a recent experience.

I'm looking at purchasing something from a US based company, but they import stuff from overseas. Payments are treated as foreign transaction due to how the company is set up it seems. I guess it's like a marketplace and we're just paying the vendors we're importing from.

RP terms say: "Purchases must be made in the 50 United Sates of America, ..." which is a bit vague to me. Some old posts from people say they've had complete international purchases covered, but the CSR I talked to said foreign transactions aren't eligible. It sounded like the CSR wasn't completely sure though.

In my experience as long as the shipping address is within the United States you should be covered.

Would be helpful if you said which website as someone might have experience with them.

Offline wakimike

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Express Centurion Member, Marriott Titanium Elite Member, United 1K, Delta Diamond Medallion, Hertz Platinum,
« Reply #4286 on: November 15, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »
I remember your username from flyertalk about meeting with G4S. About how much in return protection did you do to trigger G4S investigator to come meet with you?

Btw, return protection gets credited about two days after the form has been filled out and sent. I think I have used $1k in 2021, $2k in 2022, and have $1.5k in reimbursement this year (2023). Planning on getting $1.5k more on my accounts, and get an AU to do $1k in return protection before this calendar year is over.

This is straight up insurance fraud - risk going to jail for $300 item? Cmon. Get ahold of your greed.

Offline Cat18

• View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: November 16, 2023, 04:04:54 PM »
if i do Return Protection on a Dell laptop that i received the $200 bi-annual biz plat credit on, will they claw back the credit?

same question assuming i received an amex offer for a statement credit --- spend $500 and get $100 back or the like, will amex claw back the credit?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 04:10:12 PM by Cat18 »

Offline Yikes2179

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: November 16, 2023, 04:46:29 PM »

if i do Return Protection on a Dell laptop that i received the $200 bi-annual biz plat credit on, will they claw back the credit?

Not in my experience

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: November 17, 2023, 12:29:55 AM »

same question assuming i received an amex offer for a statement credit --- spend $500 and get $100 back or the like, will amex claw back the credit?
Amex will not claw back the credit in my experience. But the return protection department might make you issues because of the $200 dell credit.

Offline Yikes2179

• View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: November 17, 2023, 01:03:19 AM »
Amex will not claw back the credit in my experience. But the return protection department might make you issues because of the $200 dell credit.
Never had an issue with that

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: November 17, 2023, 03:28:39 PM »
Never had an issue with that
Good for you. But I them asking for proof that it was not returned. And asking for explanation what this credit is for.

Offline Yikes2179

• View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: November 18, 2023, 06:08:04 PM »
I believe had that once and i explained  what it was and got the return processed easily

Online Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: November 20, 2023, 12:03:19 AM »
If I pay for an item using Amex Plat except for 1 MR point (= $.01) to trigger an Amazon discount, is it still eligible for RP? Or is it considered that I didn't pay for the item "entirely" using my card and therefore not eligible for RP? Any DP's on this?

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: November 20, 2023, 01:14:32 AM »

This is straight up insurance fraud - risk going to jail for $300 item? Cmon. Get ahold of your greed.

maybe not yashrus, but long shot to go to jail, there is no actual fraud by saying you want to return the item, they can always ask for the item back....[which would probably make ppl stop filing claims...]

Offline Yikes2179

• View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: November 20, 2023, 07:51:14 AM »
If I pay for an item using Amex Plat except for 1 MR point (= $.01) to trigger an Amazon discount, is it still eligible for RP? Or is it considered that I didn't pay for the item "entirely" using my card and therefore not eligible for RP? Any DP's on this?
I've done it without issues

Offline elihak7

• View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: November 21, 2023, 10:55:49 AM »
What happens if I buy a $500 item? Will they refund me? If they don’t ask me to return then $300 is enough…

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: November 21, 2023, 11:43:23 AM »
What happens if I buy a $500 item? Will they refund me? If they don’t ask me to return then $300 is enough…

If the claim gets approved, then yes they would just give you $300 since that is the maximum

Offline ScottParfunu

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: November 29, 2023, 06:00:48 AM »
In my experience as long as the shipping address is within the United States you should be covered.

Would be helpful if you said which website as someone might have experience with them.

Websites in question were Baltini and Italist.

Italist would have an international purchase. I ended up making my purchase from Baltini instead, because their CS couldn't actually say if customers would be charged a FX fee. I did not end up being charged any. If I file for a claim, I'll provide an update as well.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: November 29, 2023, 08:35:37 AM »
I was just asked to provide a photo for each of my last four return requests. One asked to include as well a photo of the serial number.
No problem, I can provide these.

Very strange, have never been asked for this before.

Anyone else ever been asked for this?

Looks like they are getting a lot more stringent with me.