Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of Whatís Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1130579 times)

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4320 on: November 30, 2023, 05:53:06 PM »
The issue in the past, which I wrote about here as well, was when for that shoe item Amex contacted the retailer, New Balance, and had them agree to let me return them, which was after their return policy.

This happened to me once as well

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: November 30, 2023, 05:55:29 PM »
This is what they wrote (minus the specific details).

"Thank you for submitting your Return Protection claim. In order to continue processing your claim, we need you to provide Proof of Loss documentation as described below.
"What documentation do we need from you?
"Please submit supporting documentation showing item did not received credits nor return to merchant, credit is for $___.__ on __/__/20__ (return window closed)."

This was back in 2021. I wrote to the store and asked them to write a letter saying that I didn't return or exchange the item, and that I didn't receive a refund for any part of the money I spent, and that's what I submitted, and it got approved within a week, from what I remember. The owner of the store e-mailed me the letter, so no, it wasn't physically signed, but it had his e-mail address and phone number if they wanted to contact him to check whether it was really from him. I was suspecting that they'd contact him and try to talk him into allowing the return, but I've never had them do that in six or seven years that I've been using Return Protection, FWIW.

Interesting, I suspect it may be hard to get this kind of letter from large bureaucratic companies that aren't able to handle requests that diverge at all from their normal procedures

Offline Darth1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: November 30, 2023, 06:10:46 PM »
Which is the cheapest card with Return Protection? Does only the platinum have it?
Amazon Business/Business Prime cards. They have no AF.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: November 30, 2023, 09:22:54 PM »

Anyone have any idea if the Amazon Business card counts towards the maximum of five credit cards (personal+business but not including charge cards) that AmEx will allow you to have?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: November 30, 2023, 09:55:40 PM »
Anyone have any idea if the Amazon Business card counts towards the maximum of five credit cards (personal+business but not including charge cards) that AmEx will allow you to have?

Yes, that would count against the limit. AMEX doesnít care whether itís a business or personal card.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: November 30, 2023, 09:57:30 PM »
Interesting, I suspect it may be hard to get this kind of letter from large bureaucratic companies that aren't able to handle requests that diverge at all from their normal procedures

Right. That's why if we're talking about the ease of getting a claim approved, Amazon, eBay, and large brick-and-mortar retailers are probably among the easiest. I was lucky that the owner of the store that I needed to get the letter from was friendly and responsive; it could have been a major headache if they weren't, although my guess would be that in a worst-case scenario, I could have told AmEx Assurance that the store wasn't being responsive, and they would call them themselves and ask whether or not I had returned or exchanged the item.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: November 30, 2023, 10:00:04 PM »
Yes, that would count against the limit. AMEX doesnít care whether itís a business or personal card.

Oh, I was thinking more along the lines that sometimes, there are corporate-partnered credit cards that don't count towards the card issuer's limit. I remember that that used to be the case with Chase's 5/24 limits, although I think they ended up shifting their policy a few years ago and now treat all cards the same.

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: November 30, 2023, 11:05:21 PM »
Which is the cheapest card with Return Protection? Does only the platinum have it?

What about the return protections of other banks like chase? Is it same easy to claim and get the money as Amex?
Blue cash preffered for personal

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: November 30, 2023, 11:30:50 PM »
Oh, I was thinking more along the lines that sometimes, there are corporate-partnered credit cards that don't count towards the card issuer's limit. I remember that that used to be the case with Chase's 5/24 limits, although I think they ended up shifting their policy a few years ago and now treat all cards the same.

Yeah i see what you're saying, but I don't think amex differentiates

Offline Mr Green

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: December 01, 2023, 01:38:44 AM »
Can i product change from the blue cash to the amazon?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: December 01, 2023, 10:15:42 AM »
Can i product change from the blue cash to the amazon?

I'm pretty sure that the answer would be no. First of all, unless you're talking about the Blue Business card, you can't go from personal to business card or vice-versa. Second, you can't product change to (or from) a card that earns a different type of rewards. Here are a couple links that might help you understand how it works:

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/how-to-upgrade-or-downgrade-american-express-card/

https://www.uponarriving.com/american-express-product-change-guide/

Just to quote one important line, the first link includes the statement that, "For starters, you can only upgrade or downgrade an American Express credit card that earns the same type of rewards."

Hope this helps!

Offline geewitz71

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: December 01, 2023, 02:28:09 PM »
Hi, Question on Amazon Business Prime Card benefit - Return protection. I am not able to find it specified that this card has that benefit on amex site. Can someone please point me to the link where it shows this card has return protection benefit?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: December 01, 2023, 02:32:01 PM »
Hi, Question on Amazon Business Prime Card benefit - Return protection. I am not able to find it specified that this card has that benefit on amex site. Can someone please point me to the link where it shows this card has return protection benefit?

You can find all the cards that have this benefit here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/return-protection-terms.html

Offline geewitz71

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: December 01, 2023, 02:33:56 PM »
Thank you!

Offline geewitz71

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: December 04, 2023, 09:30:06 AM »
Quick question - Food items are not eligible for return protection, right? For example - Protein powder.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: December 04, 2023, 05:09:32 PM »
Quick question - Food items are not eligible for return protection, right? For example - Protein powder.

Thatís correct. Consumables are not eligible.

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: December 04, 2023, 11:54:01 PM »
Blue cash preffered for personal

and everyday preffered

Offline motec bb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: December 05, 2023, 12:26:21 AM »
Does rp work on a phone purchased from swappa.com ?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: December 05, 2023, 10:42:34 AM »
Does rp work on a phone purchased from swappa.com ?

The only way to know for (almost) sure is to call AmEx Assurance and ask. But my guess is that as long as what you're buying is really new, and not used, refurbished, like-new, or open-box, then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't count. You'll only really know for sure, though, once you've actually made a claim and gotten it approved.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4339 on: December 05, 2023, 01:13:53 PM »
The only way to know for (almost) sure is to call AmEx Assurance and ask. But my guess is that as long as what you're buying is really new, and not used, refurbished, like-new, or open-box, then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't count. You'll only really know for sure, though, once you've actually made a claim and gotten it approved.
Very helpful. Thanks