Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157637 times)

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #1380 on: December 30, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »
right. but sometimes you just changed your mind, and/or if it was not sold directly from amazon... you may have to pay return shipping.
that's my question

Bump
I don't think that's  a valid reason. Call and ask. You can also call amazon and see if they'll make an exception, they often do.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1381 on: January 01, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »
Would a code for a online subscription be eligible to for return protection? Would I get turned down for software code etc?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline HP58

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 03, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
Would a code for a online subscription be eligible to for return protection? Would I get turned down for software code etc?
IINM it has to be a physical object that you can theoretically return to Amex.

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 03, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »
Does $1k per year go by year of purchase or year of claim?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 03, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »
Does $1k per year go by year of purchase or year of claim?
I'd assume year of claim
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Jimmerly tibz

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 20, 2015, 08:29:19 PM »
So how many years have you guys been doing this?

Anybody gotten RP from ebay purchases shipped from abroad to U.S.?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 20, 2015, 11:31:49 PM »
So how many years have you guys been doing this?

Anybody gotten RP from ebay purchases shipped from abroad to U.S.?
I got for an external camera flash speed from Hong Kong last February bought on eBay.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Jimmerly tibz

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 21, 2015, 10:23:43 AM »
Recently they've added some more layers to the RP process.
Even if I file everything on line and fax them all the documents they need, they'll still call me or request a call to their support center and ask "intake questions" about where the item was bought, why are you returning it, what is the return period, what's wrong with, etc.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 21, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
Recently they've added some more layers to the RP process.
Even if I file everything on line and fax them all the documents they need, they'll still call me or request a call to their support center and ask "intake questions" about where the item was bought, why are you returning it, what is the return period, what's wrong with, etc.
been mentioned upthread a few times. May only be a holiday thing. time will tell if it persists. Regardless, it has not changed the outcome of any claims for me.  They also still automatically refund small claims (less than $30-$50) by the next day.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline talkitup90

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #1389 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
So I used purchase protection for a phone I bought which was damaged within 90 days. They sent me an email telling me the claim had been closed and they refunded me the price of the phone. My question is, is it possible for Amex to ask for the phone back at this point? Or, does Amex ask for products back *before* closing the claim / refunding you, when they actually want it back? Thanks.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 22, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »
So I used purchase protection for a phone I bought which was damaged within 90 days. They sent me an email telling me the claim had been closed and they refunded me the price of the phone. My question is, is it possible for Amex to ask for the phone back at this point? Or, does Amex ask for products back *before* closing the claim / refunding you, when they actually want it back ? Thanks.
That
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1391 on: January 22, 2015, 03:31:56 PM »
I opened a claim for a textbook ($150) on 1/12, they requested a receipt on 1/13, I got confirmation they received the receipt on 1/15. Haven't heard anything since. Is this normal or should I call?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 22, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
I opened a claim for a textbook ($150) on 1/12, they requested a receipt on 1/13, I got confirmation they received the receipt on 1/15. Haven't heard anything since. Is this normal or should I call?
For some reason i remember these being excluded but could be totally wrong.

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #1393 on: January 22, 2015, 03:37:56 PM »
For some reason i remember these being excluded but could be totally wrong.

Well I would find out soon enough. Doesn't seem like it should be excluded

Offline talkitup90

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #1394 on: January 22, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »
That

Thanks! Has that been everyone else's experience? I just don't want to find myself in a situation where they ask for the phone back (even though they already closed the claim and paid me) and I no longer have the phone.

To clarify, I used *Purchase* Protection, not return protection, because the phone was damaged.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »
They've been very slow the last 2 months. My claim from 12.17 took 4 weeks to process.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 22, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks! Has that been everyone else's experience? I just don't want to find myself in a situation where they ask for the phone back (even though they already closed the claim and paid me) and I no longer have the phone.
They won't ask for it. You can even call them and ask if your can chuck it. I once had to file a lost claim on a Platinum card. They have me the money and then I found it. I didn't need it anymore so I called them and they said I should just return it to the store or keep it. They didn't want it back.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline dealsboy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 26, 2015, 03:22:29 AM »
I've used the return protection benefit once or twice before. Amex just gave me my money back and didn't ask for receipts/ documentation or the item back - they were under $100. This time, I submitted a claim for over $200 and they asked me to send them an itemized receipt. However, they also said in the pdf that once my claimed was approved they would send me a bar code and instructions on how to send them the purchased item within 30 days.

Is this last part -the mention of the bar code / sending back the item before even approving my claim - normal? Do they always say this when they request receipts or only when they're going to ask for the item back? Has everyone that has had to return an item received this email before their claim was even approved? Has anyone received this email and then had Amex not actually ask for the item back?

Offline DP7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »

I've used the return protection benefit once or twice before. Amex just gave me my money back and didn't ask for receipts/ documentation or the item back - they were under $100. This time, I submitted a claim for over $200 and they asked me to send them an itemized receipt. However, they also said in the pdf that once my claimed was approved they would send me a bar code and instructions on how to send them the purchased item within 30 days.

Is this last part -the mention of the bar code / sending back the item before even approving my claim - normal? Do they always say this when they request receipts or only when they're going to ask for the item back? Has everyone that has had to return an item received this email before their claim was even approved? Has anyone received this email and then had Amex not actually ask for the item back?

Normal and they still may not ask for it back. Although I'm not sure why you all are so much if it's something you're trying to return anyway.

Offline sammy n

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »

Ive gotten that in the  past and did not have to return the item in the end.