Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157997 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2011, 04:54:11 PM »
BTW, it seams like you didn't read my post...
I don't even know where to begin, but you're the one that didn't understand my posts.

Mutual misunderstanding, eh? ;)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »
I totally accept your apology. And I scenically apologize for treating you so.

Although I do remember saying something you did not like, however I said it only because I thought it was the same affect as the Chanukah Gelt which you didn't want. I never intended to offend or anything of that sort. You are very good at things that I don't even begin to know how they work and I have a lot of respect for you because of that. Then also I stressed how I always use your links and I encouraged others to do the same. And when I realized you did not like when people say things of that sort, I made sure never to say it again.

Offline gevaldig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »
OK folks back to OP, please tell me if i am right, or wrong,  SPG return protection is till 90 days from purchase, (premium is 180 days) and they give you a extended warranty of 1 year once the manufacturers warranty is over, and the plus of this extra year is 1) free warranty
  2)  if  not happy etc, they reimburse you the whole purchase,

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
OK folks back to OP, please tell me if i am right, or wrong,  SPG return protection is till 90 days from purchase, (premium is 180 days) and they give you a extended warranty of 1 year once the manufacturers warranty is over, and the plus of this extra year is 1) free warranty
  2)  if  not happy etc, they reimburse you the whole purchase,

They don't give you a blanket one year. They double the MFG's warranty up to a year.

Why don't you review the T&Cs? Probably will answer all of your questions.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline gevaldig

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
yes i know they only double it, but what about that they reimburse you the whole purchase

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2011, 10:59:44 PM »
yes i know they only double it, but what about that they reimburse you the whole purchase

... or will pay for your repair.

For the second time:

Why don't you review the T&Cs? Probably will answer all of your questions.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
keep us posted wht happens, waz thinking of ebaying mine, but amex is deff. easier!!!
thanx
Made the claim for the speakers yesterday. Today the credit shows up on my account. They didnt ask for any documents nor for the speakers

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Made the claim for the speakers yesterday. Today the credit shows up on my account. They didnt ask for any documents nor for the speakers
Anybody have the same experience? Does this mean I'm done and don't need to send anything in or will they still ask for it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2011, 11:32:44 AM »
You're done.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »
even though this thread is specifically regarding AMEX return protection, since many people are discussing extended warranty as well let me ask like this:

As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I bought a lenovo laptop on 12/28/10 on a SPG Consumer card, and I've had constant problems with it and even sent it in to lenovo twice(!) and they didn't fix it, only made things worse, now that the mfg warranty expired, I called amex to verify that the extended warranty will cover pre-existing problems from before the mfg warranty expired and they told me clearly, that yes it would still be covered.

I called back today to file the claim and the rep asked me when the trouble began, I told him a few months ago, he told me if the problems began when the laptop was under the mfg warranty, then the amex warranty won't cover it, directly contradicting what the previous rep told me. I argued with him and he put through the claim either way. He told me I'd have to send in the receipt, billing statement, mfg warranty and repair estimate and then they'd process the claim and contact me with their decision. Did I just get bad luck that they are making me go through this? and not refunding me straight up? Is there anything I can do? is it possible to cancel this claim and start again?

Offline am32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
Made a claim for a $15 item today through Chase Sapphire Preferred.  They emailed me a form to return and said I "may" have to return the item... but will let me know...

Offline stever

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
even though this thread is specifically regarding AMEX return protection, since many people are discussing extended warranty as well let me ask like this:

As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I bought a lenovo laptop on 12/28/10 on a SPG Consumer card, and I've had constant problems with it and even sent it in to lenovo twice(!) and they didn't fix it, only made things worse, now that the mfg warranty expired, I called amex to verify that the extended warranty will cover pre-existing problems from before the mfg warranty expired and they told me clearly, that yes it would still be covered.

I called back today to file the claim and the rep asked me when the trouble began, I told him a few months ago, he told me if the problems began when the laptop was under the mfg warranty, then the amex warranty won't cover it, directly contradicting what the previous rep told me. I argued with him and he put through the claim either way. He told me I'd have to send in the receipt, billing statement, mfg warranty and repair estimate and then they'd process the claim and contact me with their decision. Did I just get bad luck that they are making me go through this? and not refunding me straight up? Is there anything I can do? is it possible to cancel this claim and start again?
i am going through the exact same thing with my dell vostro. i just got a letter requesting all those things. i had orig told them that my motherboard was shot and it wouldnt turn on.

Offline ez1985

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
Just out of curiosity, did you make you claim online or via phone?

Not that it's any real indication, but I've now used this benefit twice, once via phone where they did not require me to return the item, and once (now) via computer where they're making me return it.

Though I'm sure it has to do more with the type of item than the method through which you make the claim, I'm still curious.
So I made two claims in the last week on clothing over the phone.  Both got credited without any return.  The lady actually told me that many times if the purchase price is under $100 they might not make you return it.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »
IMHO this is getting dangerously close to a thread to figure out when they won't make you return the item so people can steal money
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ez1985

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
IMHO this is getting dangerously close to a thread to figure out when they won't make you return the item so people can steal money
Its not stealing if they don't make you return it.

Offline ez1985

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »
Let me rephrase.  If you want to return the item and you file a claim and they tell you that you can keep it, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Its all about your kavanah.

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
Does the return protection have a price limit?
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
I think 300 dollars with regular cards, perhaps with platinum it's different.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »
I think 300 dollars with regular cards, perhaps with platinum it's different.
300 for any cards that have it, not all do.  $600 with paid premium return protection.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.