Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1158093 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3000 on: April 02, 2018, 12:16:13 AM »
Where does it say that? The word "New" isn't even in the T&C.

The only thing close to it is the following:

" To be eligible, an item must be in the original purchase condition (not visibly used, defective, or damaged in any way) and must be in working order. "

The key point here, being, I would take the "not VISIBLY used". Its pretty clear the item can be used or they wouldn't have included the word "visibly". According to the T&C even a refurb would work if it isn't visibly used, but I have never tried to use it on a Refurb.
That language is what allows you to return an item after YOU used it
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: April 02, 2018, 12:49:26 AM »
Where does it say that? The word "New" isn't even in the T&C.

The only thing close to it is the following:

" To be eligible, an item must be in the original purchase condition (not visibly used, defective, or damaged in any way) and must be in working order. "

The key point here, being, I would take the "not VISIBLY used". Its pretty clear the item can be used or they wouldn't have included the word "visibly". According to the T&C even a refurb would work if it isn't visibly used, but I have never tried to use it on a Refurb.

That's so weird. I'm practically 100% sure that it's only by new items like everyone else is saying, but I can't either find where they say that specifically. I also remember seeing clearly in the terms of a credit card that it said they don't cover used items. But it could be I'm mixing up AMEX with a different bank.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: April 03, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »
That language is what allows you to return an item after YOU used it

This contradicts what Noturbizniss said. I understood him to say that an item you use is not covered based on T&C.

"Terms also exclude used items
An oven installed is by definition used since it is out of box with adjustments and connections made.
Therefore, to attempt to return a stove it must be in box/not installed (by item 2)
ergo, item 1 applies to a brand new, uninstalled (i.e. in the box) oven"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:48:02 AM by FlyingBoat »

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:25 AM »
That's so weird. I'm practically 100% sure that it's only by new items like everyone else is saying, but I can't either find where they say that specifically. I also remember seeing clearly in the terms of a credit card that it said they don't cover used items. But it could be I'm mixing up AMEX with a different bank.

That was my impression as well. It may have been what a CSR said at some point, or perhaps what someone stated on this forum. It may in fact be the policy followed, but it is not in the T&C that I have found. Or perhaps terms have changed.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: April 03, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »
This contradicts what Noturbizniss said. I understood him to say that an item you use is not covered based on T&C.

"Terms also exclude used items
An oven installed is by definition used since it is out of box with adjustments and connections made.
Therefore, to attempt to return a stove it must be in box/not installed (by item 2)
ergo, item 1 applies to a brand new, uninstalled (i.e. in the box) oven"
Needs to be in like new condition
terms say
"To be eligible, an item must be in the original purchase condition (not visibly used, defective, or damaged in any way) and must be in working order"
Regarding an oven, if it is installed then it has had adjustments and such (i believe).  The above is vague , however, the exclusions state:
That was my impression as well. It may have been what a CSR said at some point, or perhaps what someone stated on this forum. It may in fact be the policy followed, but it is not in the T&C that I have found. Or perhaps terms have changed.

Items not eligible for a refund are:
10. purchased used and/or altered items (including, but not limited to, purchases at auction sites
and second- hand stores);

https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/pdf/RP_Benefit_Guide_Rev_09-17.pdf
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: April 03, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »
Needs to be in like new condition
terms say
"To be eligible, an item must be in the original purchase condition (not visibly used, defective, or damaged in any way) and must be in working order"
Regarding an oven, if it is installed then it has had adjustments and such (i believe).  The above is vague , however, the exclusions state:Items not eligible for a refund are:
10. purchased used and/or altered items (including, but not limited to, purchases at auction sites
and second- hand stores);

https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/pdf/RP_Benefit_Guide_Rev_09-17.pdf

Ah, that is clear. Should have searched for word "Used". Thanks for pointing it out. Still wonder if New(Other) would work, like for open box. I am thinking possibly not, so I haven't tried buying New(other) from ebay.

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: April 05, 2018, 02:43:53 PM »
Just got denied a claim for a pair of glasses, because they are limited edition. When I asked how they decided they’re limited (because I had no idea they were) they said they contacted eBay.com & that’s what they said… eBay is obviously not the seller, is it worth trying to appeal the decision?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: April 08, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »
Just got denied a claim for a pair of glasses, because they are limited edition. When I asked how they decided they’re limited (because I had no idea they were) they said they contacted eBay.com & that’s what they said… eBay is obviously not the seller, is it worth trying to appeal the decision?
yes, contact seller, find out if they are limited.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: April 08, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
Given that the terms explicitly exclude consumable items such as "batteries", has anyone successfully claimed a rechargeable battery for return protection? or did they in fact deny the claim as it is a "battery".
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: April 22, 2018, 06:55:43 AM »
Given that the terms explicitly exclude consumable items such as "batteries", has anyone successfully claimed a rechargeable battery for return protection? or did they in fact deny the claim as it is a "battery".

No, but I have had a Purchase Protection (obviously not the same as Return Protection) claim denied for a set of rechargeable batteries along with the charger. Other items in the same claim were accepted for reimbursement, but they specifically noted that they couldn't cover the batteries-and-charger set because they were considered "batteries" as outlined in the T&C.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: April 22, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
No, but I have had a Purchase Protection (obviously not the same as Return Protection) claim denied for a set of rechargeable batteries along with the charger. Other items in the same claim were accepted for reimbursement, but they specifically noted that they couldn't cover the batteries-and-charger set because they were considered "batteries" as outlined in the T&C.
The batteries I expected, but the charger I didn't even think of. Interesting. Thanks
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: April 22, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »
The batteries I expected, but the charger I didn't even think of. Interesting. Thanks

My gut feeling based on the T&C is that if it had been just a charger sold alone, it would have been approved, but since it was in a set with the batteries, that's why they denied it. At the time, I thought that there was a chance they'd approve it because the batteries were rechargeable, but the T&C does in fact state the exclusion of "consumable or perishable items with extended or limited life spans", with the key word in this situation being "extended". Again, though, this was PP, not RP, but I would think that the way they handle their exclusions would be similar, so hopefully the data point is still relevant here.

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: April 22, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »

They meant custom item because they were eyeglasses. After explaining that they were non prescription, claim was approved.

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:23 AM »
Purchased a Scotter at Toys R US. Came in a box, and one of the handles was cracked. I didnt see until I got home. Called the store and they said all sales final, even though it came cracked. Nothing we can do.
I filed return protection with Amex who just declined my claim since they dont cover purchases from going out of business sales.

Can I try and file a purchase protection claim? What about disputing the charge?

Online shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: April 24, 2018, 12:04:53 PM »
Purchased a Scotter at Toys R US. Came in a box, and one of the handles was cracked. I didnt see until I got home. Called the store and they said all sales final, even though it came cracked. Nothing we can do.
I filed return protection with Amex who just declined my claim since they dont cover purchases from going out of business sales.

Can I try and file a purchase protection claim? What about disputing the charge?
Can do both.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #3015 on: April 24, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »
Can do both.
You can't do PP if it came broken
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: April 24, 2018, 12:39:03 PM »
Thanks. Don’t know it broke on way home or when I got it. I assumed it came broken but anything is possible.
What about disputing?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
Thanks. Don’t know it broke on way home or when I got it. I assumed it came broken but anything is possible.
What about disputing?
You can always dispute. That's the route I'd go.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline puddles

• View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: April 25, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »
You can't do PP if it came broken
I did the PP same day I was rejected and this morning was credited for the full amount. Was less then $100

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: April 26, 2018, 04:23:56 PM »
Just discovered that the blue for biz plus doesn't have return protection.. :(