Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157362 times)

Offline cheesedawg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3380 on: December 13, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
Are purchases from https://www.barneys.com/ going to be covered now or is this considered "going-out-of-business-sale" items?

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: December 20, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
I know the T&C say the purchase must be in USA. Just want to confirm that would mean if I’m ordering from a Canadian or European based website to the USA I would NOT be covered?

Offline Dangaroo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: December 21, 2019, 11:39:51 AM »
Are you sure? I read elsewhere that the usually cover the tax on top of the $300 as well.

Can confirm, recently had a return where the tax pushed the item over $300. It was a partial reimbursement of the cost, capped at $300.

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: December 21, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
Can confirm, recently had a return where the tax pushed the item over $300. It was a partial reimbursement of the cost, capped at $300.
Interesting,
https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deals/apparel-deals/shoes/hurry-save-additional-40-off-elevtd-save-canada-goose-moose-knuckles-jimmy-choo-ferragamo/#comment-1440914

YMMV?

Offline jrfigo

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: December 23, 2019, 01:53:06 PM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/
according to the above artice it seems like I'd still be able to file a RP claim on items purchased before 01/20

Can anyone confirm if that correct?

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: December 23, 2019, 02:07:06 PM »
according to the above artice it seems like I'd still be able to file a RP claim on items purchased before 01/20

Correct as far as we know
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: December 24, 2019, 12:13:51 AM »
I know the T&C say the purchase must be in USA. Just want to confirm that would mean if I’m ordering from a Canadian or European based website to the USA I would NOT be covered?

@Hjay, if your question is whether the CC co. would honor a purchase from an international website, I would venture yes, so long as the website ships to the US. I ordered item from Farfetch.com, was unable to return (past 30 day policy), Amex refunded in full. Hope this helps somewhat.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: December 24, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »
@Hjay, if your question is whether the CC co. would honor a purchase from an international website, I would venture yes, so long as the website ships to the US. I ordered item from Farfetch.com, was unable to return (past 30 day policy), Amex refunded in full. Hope this helps somewhat.

You made me realize my question is not as simple as I thought. I don’t know the way farfetch works. Are they a US based website? If not, do they charge you in dollars? & would that make it a US transaction for Amex? My original question was about a Canadian website with no US connection charging me in Canadian & shipping to the US. Maybe I’ll try calling but I doubt the Amex rep would even know the correct answer.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: December 24, 2019, 01:00:54 PM »
@Dan any update on Return protection for Amazon business cards?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #3390 on: December 24, 2019, 06:44:42 PM »
For cards that Return Protection is going away, do purchases before Jan 1st, that will be filed after count? Or does claim need to be done before January 1st.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: December 24, 2019, 06:48:52 PM »
For cards that Return Protection is going away, do purchases before Jan 1st, that will be filed after count? Or does claim need to be done before January 1st.

Correct as far as we know
To require filing before 1/1 would violate current terms.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CtownBin

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: December 25, 2019, 12:08:30 PM »
Hi all,

So, I recently bought a cell phone at Best Buy on my AMEX (S8). Decided it wasn't the right phone for me and went to return it 14 days later, within their return window. They wouldn't accept my return however, because they said it had a scratch on the back and was now considered a damaged item, and they don't accept damaged items for return. I could barely see any scratch, but they said it was big enough to make the item damaged and it must have been accidentally damaged when it was in my possession.

So my question is- does this case fall under return protection, or purchase protection? On the one hand it is damaged, so it's purchase protection. Even though the phone still works, the way I see it- if the store I bought it at considers this regular damage, enough to deny a return based on it, then it should be considered damaged. On the other hand, they wouldn't take the return which is the criteria for return protection.

If possible, I would rather it be under purchase protection, since the purchase was over $300 but under $1,000 (it was about $500) so it would be fully covered under purchase protection but not return protection. How would I go about filing a claim for such a case? Just tell them it has a scratch and is now damaged? Should I even mention that I tried to return it and Best Buy wouldn't accept it due to this scratch? What is the likely outcome here- will they pay the cost of repair- and if so, do I actually need to do the repair? Any chance they will just reimburse the purchase? This is obviously the desired outcome for me, even if I have to send them back the phone.

Any help would be appreciated- I am new to return and purchase protection, and this seemed like a grey area kind of case. Thanks!

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: December 25, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
Confirming as well that RP is up to $300 max, including tax.

Does anyone have any other DP?

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #3394 on: December 25, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »
Confirming as well that RP is up to $300 max, including tax.

Does anyone have any other DP?
maxed out at 300

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: December 25, 2019, 02:05:38 PM »
Hi all,

So, I recently bought a cell phone at Best Buy on my AMEX (S8). Decided it wasn't the right phone for me and went to return it 14 days later, within their return window. They wouldn't accept my return however, because they said it had a scratch on the back and was now considered a damaged item, and they don't accept damaged items for return. I could barely see any scratch, but they said it was big enough to make the item damaged and it must have been accidentally damaged when it was in my possession.

So my question is- does this case fall under return protection, or purchase protection? On the one hand it is damaged, so it's purchase protection. Even though the phone still works, the way I see it- if the store I bought it at considers this regular damage, enough to deny a return based on it, then it should be considered damaged. On the other hand, they wouldn't take the return which is the criteria for return protection.

If possible, I would rather it be under purchase protection, since the purchase was over $300 but under $1,000 (it was about $500) so it would be fully covered under purchase protection but not return protection. How would I go about filing a claim for such a case? Just tell them it has a scratch and is now damaged? Should I even mention that I tried to return it and Best Buy wouldn't accept it due to this scratch? What is the likely outcome here- will they pay the cost of repair- and if so, do I actually need to do the repair? Any chance they will just reimburse the purchase? This is obviously the desired outcome for me, even if I have to send them back the phone.

Any help would be appreciated- I am new to return and purchase protection, and this seemed like a grey area kind of case. Thanks!
It would be purchase protection however amex will probably want a repair estimate...
Amex terms say item must be new condition. Not sure if it is since it's damaged
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CtownBin

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: December 25, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »
It would be purchase protection however amex will probably want a repair estimate...
Amex terms say item must be new condition. Not sure if it is since it's damaged
What do you mean, new condition? Isn't the point of purchase protection for items that are damaged? In any event, besides the scratch (which at first I couldn't even see), it is brand new condition.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: December 25, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »
What do you mean, new condition? Isn't the point of purchase protection for items that are damaged? In any event, besides the scratch (which at first I couldn't even see), it is brand new condition.
I meant return protection terms
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: December 25, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »
Hi all,

Afaik if the item is only a cosmetic damage Amex will deny your claim.

Offline CtownBin

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: December 26, 2019, 04:08:10 AM »

Afaik if the item is only a cosmetic damage Amex will deny your claim.
Interesting. So... for return protection it needs to be undamaged, and for purchase protection it needs to be damaged, and in my case the phone is... neither? Too damaged for return protection but not damaged enough for purchase protection? So I'm stuck?