Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157460 times)

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3700 on: July 20, 2021, 04:50:46 PM »
I would call wayfair. They are very understanding and fair.
Yes, I did already talk to them but since it was a closeout sale they don't have any replacement and the max they can do is partial refund and that is why I thought if Amex rp would work or not.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: July 21, 2021, 10:00:47 AM »
Yes, I did already talk to them but since it was a closeout sale they don't have any replacement and the max they can do is partial refund and that is why I thought if Amex rp would work or not.

Ah I see. Yeah I think you'd qualify for Amex RP. Let us know the outcome once you file the claim/receive their decision.

Offline Snezz1e

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: July 21, 2021, 05:52:14 PM »
Filed a claim with AMEX earlier this year for a Blu-ray player I bought from Best Buy.  When I bought it the player was defective so I was able to exchange it for another one with Best Buy the next day.  I filed the AMEX claim because I found a better player that supported Dolby Vision which the one I bought didn't.  When I printed the receipt from my online BB account it showed there was an exchange.  AMEX ended up denying the return claim saying the item was not purchased with my AMEX card with no other explanation.  I submitted an appeal saying I did buy it with my AMEX card and for them to explain why I was denied.  Their second denial letter provided more details.  Their reasoning is that the item purchased with the card was return when I did the exchange and the one I now have was not purchased with the card it was an exchange. 

AMEX's purchase protection and extended warranty have same language that item be purchased entirely with AMEX card so they could of denied those claims as well.   

So a tip if anyone gets a defective item and want to maintain their AMEX coverage.  Or do a return/rebuy instead of exchange.  If you have to exchange it, save the original receipt and only submit that and don't tell them about the exchange. 

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: July 27, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
Do closeout or open box sale items come under return protection? I purchased a table from Wayfair and that arrived slightly damaged but looks like there is no return since it was a closeout sale item and now I can't return. I know that going out of business sale items are not allowed, so do final sale or close out item also fall under it?
An update on this: So I reached out to Wayfair again but again they said the maximum they can do is a 25% discount to keep it. So i took the 25% discount but now I'm while thinking about filing the Amex claim I'm wondering what should be the amount that I should claim, should it be the original price or the discounted price after 25% discount? I was thinking of filing the claim with the discounted price after 25% but I was worried if Amex would deny the claim based on that since the original receipt doesn't mention any discount since above @Snezz1e mentioned about the problems, they had with their exchange order.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: July 28, 2021, 10:13:56 AM »
Not related to Amex but thought I'd post this here as a DP-

I just tried returning 3 items to Walmart online and they issued a refund and said I should keep the items.

All 3 items were under $10 each and a bit heavy/bulky, FWIW.

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: July 28, 2021, 12:14:21 PM »
Had similar experience with non bulk but under 10

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: July 28, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
Can I get a link to Amex RP my computer not allowing me to click through from the website, wondering if it’ll work with a direct link

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: July 28, 2021, 12:32:08 PM »
Can I get a link to Amex RP my computer not allowing me to click through from the website, wondering if it’ll work with a direct link
See wiki

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: July 28, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: July 28, 2021, 02:14:59 PM »
I just tried returning 3 items to Walmart online and they issued a refund and said I should keep the items.

All 3 items were under $10 each and a bit heavy/bulky, FWIW.

Had similar experience with non bulk but under 10

Yup same here for a couple of cheap items

Offline Mf1

• View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: August 01, 2021, 04:38:54 PM »
A clothing store is doing a fill the bag sale - pay a set price and fill a bag with as many clothes as you can- final sale.
If on the receipt it is itemized as a bag of clothes will it be eligible for return protection if I decide to apply for it?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: August 01, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »
A clothing store is doing a fill the bag sale - pay a set price and fill a bag with as many clothes as you can- final sale.
If on the receipt it is itemized as a bag of clothes will it be eligible for return protection if I decide to apply for it?

That's an interesting one, is it a going out of business sale? Are the items new or second-hand?

Offline Mf1

• View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: August 01, 2021, 05:42:09 PM »
New
Not going out of bussiness

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: August 01, 2021, 05:53:08 PM »
New
Not going out of bussiness

I don’t see anything in the terms that would preclude you from qualifying for RP then. It is an odd one though

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: August 01, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »
Doubt it would work. You need an itemized receipt.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Mf1

• View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: August 01, 2021, 06:10:07 PM »
I see both sides here
Because in a way it could be considered itemized, because it's sold as one item
Like if you buy a box of cups

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: August 13, 2021, 06:05:47 PM »
An update on this: So I reached out to Wayfair again but again they said the maximum they can do is a 25% discount to keep it. So i took the 25% discount but now I'm while thinking about filing the Amex claim I'm wondering what should be the amount that I should claim, should it be the original price or the discounted price after 25% discount? I was thinking of filing the claim with the discounted price after 25% but I was worried if Amex would deny the claim based on that since the original receipt doesn't mention any discount since above @Snezz1e mentioned about the problems, they had with their exchange order.
Update: I filed a claim with the discounted price and they approved it just with the invoice and surprisingly they did not even ask for any pictures of the product. I filed on Tuesday evening, got approved on Friday morning and credit showing up.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: August 13, 2021, 08:44:40 PM »
Update: I filed a claim with the discounted price and they approved it just with the invoice and surprisingly they did not even ask for any pictures of the product. I filed on Tuesday evening, got approved on Friday morning and credit showing up.

Nice, congrats. Are they making you ship the item to them?

Also, what’s your history of filing return protection claims with them? For example how many claims in the past 12 months and what were the dollar amounts of those claims?

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: August 16, 2021, 12:43:59 AM »
No - the case is closed, no shipping back the item. I have done just 2 claims this year and both have been between $200 to $240. Last year, i had 1 purchase and 1 return protection.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: August 16, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »
No - the case is closed, no shipping back the item. I have done just 2 claims this year and both have been between $200 to $240. Last year, i had 1 purchase and 1 return protection.

Good to know. Thanks for reporting back