Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1180977 times)

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3720 on: August 16, 2021, 08:37:25 PM »
They will definitely approve - i even do 1 claim and just 2x of the item in the description

I had a claim a couple of months ago with two items on the receipt that totaled $325.
Each item was under $300.
They only gave me $300 stating the reason was because there was a limit of $300.
I chalk it up to a stupid processor of the claim and definitely not work fighting.
I have had several other claims in the past that worked on the same receipt, but I tend now to order multiple on separate receipts, just in case an idiot on Amex's side doesn't understand the rules.

Also, I have seen it stated here before that you can submit the claim after 90 days as long as the dates you put in for trying to return etc, were prior to 90 days it would get approved.
I have two claims recently get denied for this. A different claim recently in the same situation did go through. So it looks to depend on who is processing the claim.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: August 25, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »

Also, I have seen it stated here before that you can submit the claim after 90 days as long as the dates you put in for trying to return etc, were prior to 90 days it would get approved.
I have two claims recently get denied for this. A different claim recently in the same situation did go through. So it looks to depend on who is processing the claim.

This is highly concerning...what did they say about when you submitted dates that were retroactively correct?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: August 27, 2021, 10:21:04 AM »
Oh crap, now that I look into your question and look at their response in more detail I see must have fat fingered a wrong date.

They said in the response to both of the claims.

Under the How to File a Return Protection Request section of the Return Protection, it
states: "Once you have verified that the merchant will not accept the designated item, call
1-800-228-6855 within 90 days of the purchase date to notify us of your request."...

The date of purchase for the item was 03/16/2021. The coverage period is therefore 03/16/2021
to 06/14/2021. Because your loss was not reported to AMEX Assurance Company within that
coverage period, your claim is not eligible for coverage.

I submitted the claim on 6/28, so I thought it was clear that is why it was being denied.

However, I see from the documents they sent me they say I did a return attempt on 6/28, but incident date was on 5/28. How could I have a different day for incident and return? Doesn't make sense they even ask this. But perhaps I put the incorrect past 90 day as the return attempt, since that is what I now see on the form.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: August 27, 2021, 10:23:38 AM »
Does anyone know if the Gold AU card on a Platinum account would have the return protection benefit? I am thinking probably not. Trying to decide if I should get the Gold AU or costly Plat AU on wife's account.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 27, 2021, 10:43:54 AM »
Does anyone know if the Gold AU card on a Platinum account would have the return protection benefit? I am thinking probably not. Trying to decide if I should get the Gold AU or costly Plat AU on wife's account.
Gold au has smae benefits as gold primary
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #3725 on: August 27, 2021, 11:18:13 AM »
Gold au has smae benefits as gold primary
hes talking about the free platinum card au which is called gold

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:17 AM »
hes talking about the free platinum card au which is called gold
I may be misunderstanding here, but the gold AUs on the plat cost $, the green is free. To answer the question though, any charges on any card should have the same return protection benefits, under the primary.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Help

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 27, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
I may be misunderstanding here, but the gold AUs on the plat cost $, the green is free. To answer the question though, any charges on any card should have the same return protection benefits, under the primary.
Gold AU on the platinum is free.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 28, 2021, 02:31:03 AM »

No. No gold card, primary or authorized, has return protection anymore. Also, check your PM’s, I replied to your other text haha

Offline jewdkoff

• View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 29, 2021, 03:23:37 PM »
Any ideas on how to easily obtain a repair estimate for a tablet? AMEX asked for one. Thanks!

Offline lazertek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: delta gold medllion status alaska mvp marriott gold elite uber gold Hertz PC Aeoroplan silver National EE
« Reply #3730 on: August 29, 2021, 04:29:17 PM »
Any ideas on how to easily obtain a repair estimate for a tablet? AMEX asked for one. Thanks!
I think they give free estimates
https://new.ubreakifix.com
The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude(:

Offline jewdkoff

• View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 29, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »
Thanks!

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: September 09, 2021, 05:36:52 PM »
Is there any discernible pattern for when Amex makes you send in the item? I.E. Certain types of items, once you've filed a certain number of claims, once you've hit a certain dollar threshold for the year, etc.?

Offline chookshook

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: September 12, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »
Will two of the same item purchased on the same receipt qualify for $600 back or $300. They each cost about $290 excluding tax.
An update on this as the credits finally posted. I received $300 per item for a total of $600.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: September 12, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »
An update on this as the credits finally posted. I received $300 per item for a total of $600.

Did they make you return the item(s)? And have you filed any other return protection claims this calendar year?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: September 15, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
Wow, this is strange. I submitted for an online item. It was past the 45 day return period. Got message back from Amex after submitting form/receipt that they are reviewing. Haven't received a message like that before.

Then I received a return label from the store I bought the item from! Saying they are sorry it didn't work out, etc.

Never heard of Amex pushing the return back through the store! It was not initiated by me!

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 15, 2021, 10:03:59 AM »
Wow, this is strange. I submitted for an online item. It was past the 45 day return period. Got message back from Amex after submitting form/receipt that they are reviewing. Haven't received a message like that before.

Then I received a return label from the store I bought the item from! Saying they are sorry it didn't work out, etc.

Never heard of Amex pushing the return back through the store! It was not initiated by me!
No way it was amex
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline 6girls

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 15, 2021, 10:18:49 AM »

Never heard of this either... Would you share which store it was? And how much past the return window did you open the claim?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »
Never heard of this either... Would you share which store it was? And how much past the return window did you open the claim?

10 days after the return period. A bit concerned if I return the item it will end up being denied by the store anyway due to being past the period, but there is already a return label, so I guess they would need to accept it.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 15, 2021, 11:21:06 AM »
Can one do a claim on a card that has since been downgraded?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/