Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1174385 times)

Offline 6girls

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3740 on: September 15, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
Can one do a claim on a card that has since been downgraded?

If you made the purchase when you still had the other card, then yes. I've opened claims on cards that have since been closed

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: September 15, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
No way it was amex
My BIL has a store, and was called by Amex asking if he accepts returns.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: September 15, 2021, 02:08:14 PM »
My BIL has a store, and was called by Amex asking if he accepts returns.
They verify return policy if no website. I doubt theyr starting return requests.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: September 15, 2021, 02:45:44 PM »
They verify return policy if no website. I doubt theyr starting return requests.
True, likely the store owner thought it was a dispute and didn't want to have issues so he figured he'll be proactive and offer a return.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 15, 2021, 02:54:14 PM »
Wow, this is strange. I submitted for an online item. It was past the 45 day return period. Got message back from Amex after submitting form/receipt that they are reviewing. Haven't received a message like that before.

Then I received a return label from the store I bought the item from! Saying they are sorry it didn't work out, etc.

Never heard of Amex pushing the return back through the store! It was not initiated by me!

Which store is it?

Also, it will be interesting to see if you receive further communications from AMEX. Obviously if they reach out to you and say that they spoke with the store and the store is willing to make an exception for you that would make it very clear that they were the ones behind this.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 17, 2021, 03:43:39 PM »
Which store is it?

Also, it will be interesting to see if you receive further communications from AMEX. Obviously if they reach out to you and say that they spoke with the store and the store is willing to make an exception for you that would make it very clear that they were the ones behind this.

Since I was 10 days passed the return window, I called the store to see if they would in fact let me return the item, since I had received a return label from them. They checked and said it was fine to return the item with this label.

I then called Amex, figuring, I want to close this out, so it doesn't appear to them that I returned something that I had filed a claim with them on.

Talking to Amex, they said there is new communication on the claim being sent to me regarding this, but they can't see what it is, and that it could take a couple of days for me to get it. I said, OK, then keep it open and I will see what it says.
I haven't received anything further via email from them as of yet. Perhaps something will come snail mail.

I checked the status on the claim today and it says closed.

Since it is now closed, and I assume therefore not still being investigated, I will bring up the name of the store. It was New Balance.
Perhaps Amex called them regarding the return which caused the store to take the action. I don't know, but I will update if I receive anything further from Amex regarding this.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 17, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
Since I was 10 days passed the return window, I called the store to see if they would in fact let me return the item, since I had received a return label from them. They checked and said it was fine to return the item with this label.

I then called Amex, figuring, I want to close this out, so it doesn't appear to them that I returned something that I had filed a claim with them on.

Talking to Amex, they said there is new communication on the claim being sent to me regarding this, but they can't see what it is, and that it could take a couple of days for me to get it. I said, OK, then keep it open and I will see what it says.
I haven't received anything further via email from them as of yet. Perhaps something will come snail mail.

I checked the status on the claim today and it says closed.

Since it is now closed, and I assume therefore not still being investigated, I will bring up the name of the store. It was New Balance.
Perhaps Amex called them regarding the return which caused the store to take the action. I don't know, but I will update if I receive anything further from Amex regarding this.
You usually get the email the day after the claim shows closed online
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: September 18, 2021, 09:10:15 PM »
Anyone else having issues when trying to file a claim online -
Ive gotten an error massage the past few days that this page cannot be reached...

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 19, 2021, 12:24:06 PM »
Anyone else having issues when trying to file a claim online -
Ive gotten an error massage the past few days that this page cannot be reached...

I haven't tried to acccess that page recently, but if necessary you can file it over the phone

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 20, 2021, 01:07:31 PM »
You usually get the email the day after the claim shows closed online

Got the return letter from Amex. All it says it was denied because "Our records indicate that the item you claimed was eligible for return .. at the time the return was attempted, ..."

Note that according to the stores terms, it shouldn't have been eligible. Their terms state they have a 45 day return policy.

It was ordered on 7/12, I put down return attempt date of 9/8 in the request to Amex.
FYI, I received email that it was shipped on 7/13.

The only thing I can think of is that they allow several weeks for shipping to be delivered in the 45 day return policy? Or perhaps the 45 days is business days, which would be strange.
Or more likely, they wanted to avoid some type of charge back from Amex and therefore told them it was returnable.

I guess lesson learned is to wait way past the return policy, closer to 90 days to do a return.

Again. I did not initiate the return. I received notice from Amex that they were investigating the claim. 12 hours prior to that email from Amex, I received the return shipping label from New Balance.
They must have contacted New Balance and then New Balance sent the return label.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3750 on: September 20, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
Got the return letter from Amex. All it says it was denied because "Our records indicate that the item you claimed was eligible for return .. at the time the return was attempted, ..."

Note that according to the stores terms, it shouldn't have been eligible. Their terms state they have a 45 day return policy.

It was ordered on 7/12, I put down return attempt date of 9/8 in the request to Amex.
FYI, I received email that it was shipped on 7/13.

The only thing I can think of is that they allow several weeks for shipping to be delivered in the 45 day return policy? Or perhaps the 45 days is business days, which would be strange.
Or more likely, they wanted to avoid some type of charge back from Amex and therefore told them it was returnable.

I guess lesson learned is to wait way past the return policy, closer to 90 days to do a return.

Again. I did not initiate the return. I received notice from Amex that they were investigating the claim. 12 hours prior to that email from Amex, I received the return shipping label from New Balance.
They must have contacted New Balance and then New Balance sent the return label.

Very odd situation indeed

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: September 23, 2021, 12:49:05 AM »
Very odd situation indeed
Looks like something similar happened to me. I had picked up 2 shoes that were on Final sale but the sizing on one of the shoe wasn't proper and were uncomfortable. Standard return day is 14 days but since it was final sale I did not bother waiting and filed the return within 5 days of delivery, since I was fine with them taking it back or making the merchant accept return. I also mentioned that it was a final sale and I had no option to return it.

It has been 3 days since I filed the claim and after seeing the post here I went to check status it shows as closed now and I did not receive any email regarding the same, hence I assume it will come as a letter.

Now I'm wondering if they deny saying it is within the return period without reading that it was a final sale, then do I file a claim again after 14 days?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: September 23, 2021, 09:45:28 AM »
Looks like something similar happened to me. I had picked up 2 shoes that were on Final sale but the sizing on one of the shoe wasn't proper and were uncomfortable. Standard return day is 14 days but since it was final sale I did not bother waiting and filed the return within 5 days of delivery, since I was fine with them taking it back or making the merchant accept return. I also mentioned that it was a final sale and I had no option to return it.

It has been 3 days since I filed the claim and after seeing the post here I went to check status it shows as closed now and I did not receive any email regarding the same, hence I assume it will come as a letter.

Now I'm wondering if they deny saying it is within the return period without reading that it was a final sale, then do I file a claim again after 14 days?

I would give them a call and ask why it was closed and what the decision was. They may tell you to wait for the postal letter...but it doesn't hurt to try.

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: September 23, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »

Update: I called them up and they said that the case was approved with credit posting within 1-2days. I asked don't they update via email now or is just the letter, to which they mentioned the email should have been sent right after it was closed but they will check on it while letter would arrive as usual in 3-4days.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: September 23, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
Update: I called them up and they said that the case was approved with credit posting within 1-2days. I asked don't they update via email now or is just the letter, to which they mentioned the email should have been sent right after it was closed but they will check on it while letter would arrive as usual in 3-4days.

Good to hear, glad it worked out for you.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: September 28, 2021, 06:15:21 PM »
I had a purchase with order date of 12/30/20 from Amazon, but charge shows on Amex as 1/3/21.

I received a return credit for it.

What I don't know then is if this hit against my 2020 $1K limit as I wanted it to, or if it went instead against my 2021 total.

Called Amex Assurance today. The guy didn't have a clue as to which year it hit, or how much of the $1K has been used up for this year. He really couldn't understand the question, and could only tell me how much I have received for credit this year, not which year it went up against.

I guess the only way to know is to do an additional return past the $1K including the 12/30/20 order and see if it gets denied.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: October 01, 2021, 12:53:22 PM »
No. No gold card, primary or authorized, has return protection anymore. Also, check your PM’s, I replied to your other text haha

I applied for the Gold AU on my wife's Platinum card. Set up a different login for it.
I see I am able to submit a return's protection claim from this card. Not sure it will go through, but I will probably give it a try.

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: October 03, 2021, 09:07:17 PM »
i bought something online from a company based in europe and paid in euro. i was billed on cc in usd but on reciept shows euro. will it be covered?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: October 04, 2021, 12:31:02 PM »
i bought something online from a company based in europe and paid in euro. i was billed on cc in usd but on reciept shows euro. will it be covered?

Based on the T&C my guess would be No. But it doesn't hurt to try...worst case they just tell you you're not eligible.

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: October 04, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »
Based on the T&C my guess would be No. But it doesn't hurt to try...worst case they just tell you you're not eligible.
how do i put in the price of the item in euro or cash based on the value of usd to euro at that time?