Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157853 times)

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3820 on: December 18, 2021, 05:44:01 PM »
My latest,

Submitted 12/2
Documents requested email and uploaded response 12/8
Approved 12/18

Offline xoSushi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: December 21, 2021, 05:11:12 PM »
My most recent Extended Warranty claim  (not Return Protection but wanted to share my datapoint):

10/10/21 initiated claim
11/20/21 documents submitted (receipt and repair estimate)
12/12/21 called to ask about status of my claim
12/14/21 approved for the amount I paid

Turnaround time was around 65 days. Definitely the longest turnaround time I've had for a claim, but glad it paid out at the end. I called around 12/12/21 and I think the call nudged the claims adjustor speed up the claim.

Online WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: December 21, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »
My most recent Extended Warranty claim  (not Return Protection but wanted to share my datapoint):

10/10/21 initiated claim
11/20/21 documents submitted (receipt and repair estimate)
12/12/21 called to ask about status of my claim
12/14/21 approved for the amount I paid

Turnaround time was around 65 days. Definitely the longest turnaround time I've had for a claim, but glad it paid out at the end. I called around 12/12/21 and I think the call nudged the claims adjustor speed up the claim.
What item was it?

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: December 21, 2021, 09:31:43 PM »
the 1k limit per calendar year does that go by when claim was initiated or when paid out ?

Offline 6girls

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: December 21, 2021, 11:22:55 PM »
the 1k limit per calendar year does that go by when claim was initiated or when paid out ?
It goes by when the charge was made

Offline puddles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3825 on: December 22, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »
Any experience with return protection on Capital One Venture X (Visa Infinite return protection). Will I definitely have to return the item at my own cost? Or is it like Amex?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: December 28, 2021, 03:22:17 AM »
It goes by when the charge was made

That's what the Terms & Conditions say, but last year, I had a claim only partially paid, not because the item was over the maximum of $300 (it wasn't), but because, they said, I had already reached the $1,000 maximum for the year, which wasn't true. I had NOT claimed $1,000 of items in 2020, but if you add in a $300 item that I purchased in late 2019 but which I claimed in early 2020, then that certainly did put me over the limit. I know what the Terms & Conditions say, but I didn't bother to appeal it since the remaining $20 or so that they didn't return to me just didn't seem to be worth it. Anyhow, I just wanted to add this as a data point, and I don't know if it was an unlucky fluke (maybe the person reviewing the claim didn't read the Terms & Conditions as well as we do?) or if it's happened to other people on other occasions.

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: December 28, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »
can i use return protection on an item from ali express?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3828 on: December 28, 2021, 08:00:40 PM »
can i use return protection on an item from ali express?
sure
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: December 28, 2021, 08:04:30 PM »
they want serial number and model number it's for shoes which don't have either what do i do?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3830 on: December 28, 2021, 08:05:05 PM »
they want serial number and model number it's for shoes which don't have either what do i do?
They should both be optional. I usually find something that looks like it could be that on the web page and copy it.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #3831 on: December 29, 2021, 12:12:25 AM »
Any issues doing multiple claims on multiple cards in the same month? (End of the year extended holiday return rush)

Offline chookshook

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: December 29, 2021, 01:04:24 AM »
They denied my claim because the return policy of the business states 60-90 days returns qualify for store credit which is the window my return falls in. I filed the claim because I'd like the cash rather than store credit. Is this right? I thought it would qualify.

Offline Yikes2179

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: December 29, 2021, 01:14:20 AM »
Any issues doing multiple claims on multiple cards in the same month? (End of the year extended holiday return rush)
No

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: December 29, 2021, 08:30:24 AM »
They denied my claim because the return policy of the business states 60-90 days returns qualify for store credit which is the window my return falls in. I filed the claim because I'd like the cash rather than store credit. Is this right? I thought it would qualify.
Unfortunately I think that if they provide store credit it is not eligible for return protection. If the retailer will take the item back it is not eligible.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: December 29, 2021, 12:56:05 PM »
They should both be optional. I usually find something that looks like it could be that on the web page and copy it.

I've always left the "serial number" line blank. For model number, I usually put that in the first box (item description) and then repeat it in the "model number" box. Even if it's not technically a model "number", I'll put down the name of the particular item in the model number box, and they've never had an issue with that. I think the main thing is providing enough information, and especially information that matches what's on your receipt or whatever other documentation you submit.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: December 29, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »
Unfortunately I think that if they provide store credit it is not eligible for return protection. If the retailer will take the item back it is not eligible.

I've never tried this, but my impression has always been that a purchase only qualifies for Return Protection if the merchant/retailer won't take it back. If they'll take it back but only offer store credit, that's still "taking it back". So I wouldn't be surprised if they deny a claim under these circumstances, since my understanding of Return Protection is that a claim will only be approved if either (A) the store won't take it back at all, or (B) if there's a restocking fee, in which case AmEx may reimburse you for the restocking fee, but not for the entire price of the item (which the store would be returning to you, minus the restocking fee).

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: December 29, 2021, 01:15:55 PM »
My latest,

Submitted 12/2
Documents requested email and uploaded response 12/8
Approved 12/18

This is the same timeline (just different dates) as my last two claims, both of which took six days to get the documents requests from them, and then exactly ten days from the time I uploaded my documents until the time I got the approval letter. So at least we know they're being consistent, even if it's taking a few days longer than it was several months ago. One other member noted that the same kind of delays happened last Christmastime, so it may simply be a holiday thing, with more people buying more things, therefore more people wanting to return the things they bought! :-)

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: December 29, 2021, 02:12:46 PM »

It's definitely a grey area. Try appealing it and see what they say. If nothing else it will be valuable information for you (and DDF) to understand how the appeals process works (if it even exists in the first place).

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: December 30, 2021, 11:38:48 PM »
Does a receipt need to have individual items on an invoice? If I buy a drill for example, it comes with a small set of basic bits , but I can choose to upgrade to a bigger set of drill bits with the purchase. If I buy the set seperately then I will have doubles of some of the bits plus it costs 15% more to buy seperately.
When bought together it shows it as 1 item but a sub item is the drill bits with a price for that upgrade.
Is this considered 1 item or 2 items?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!