Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1158213 times)

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3840 on: December 31, 2021, 01:00:22 AM »
If I buy an item today, and the transaction posts on 1/1/22, will that count as a 2022 purchase as far as RP? Or will it count towards my 2021 limit because that's when the actual purchase was made?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: December 31, 2021, 02:22:36 AM »
If I buy an item today, and the transaction posts on 1/1/22, will that count as a 2022 purchase as far as RP? Or will it count towards my 2021 limit because that's when the actual purchase was made?

I've never tried this before--and it would be hard to purposely make this happen--but while the terms and conditions make it sound like the $1,000 annual limit is based on the date on which the item was actually purchased, it might end up actually being counted toward the calendar year in which the charge posted. If it does, and that causes you to go over the $1,000 limit for 2022 (if the charge posts on Jan. 1, 2022, as you mentioned), then you might end up in the undesirable situation where you have to appeal it based on the technicality of the language in the Terms & Conditions, which might in turn draw unnecessary attention to the fact that you're maxing out this benefit. I always try to keep my Return Protection claims under the annual $1,000 benefit, and if you think that you're cutting it too close by purchasing an item at the end of the year, then err on the side of caution. As I posted a few days ago, I had them actually deny part of my claim because they were counting an item I purchased in December but claimed the following February towards the $1,000 limit for the year in which I filed the claim, not the year in which I purchased the item...and that charge posted well before Dec. 31st! So that's why I assume that there's at least a possibility of my claim counting against the year that I file the claim, not the year that I made the purchase, and I plan accordingly. :-)

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: December 31, 2021, 04:16:52 PM »
Should be today unless they charge the card tomorrow.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: January 01, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »

I tested it last year. I bought a $300 something ordered from Best Buy shipped to home on 12/31. It was billed on my CC as 1/3. I wasn't sure what year it counted toward. So later this year I bought something for $300 with only $200 left on my limit if the $300 counted toward this year. I figured if I was over they would give me only $200, if  the 12/31 purchase counted toward the 2020 year ordered they would give me the $300. They gave me the $300, so I can assume then that it counted toward 2020, which left me with another $200 this year.

YMMV. I wouldn't count on it, but you could test it similarly.

This may be more of a manual process and therefore dependent on who is doing the processing. I had one claim in 2020 with two different items on an order totaling over $325. The claim came back, limiting it to $300. The person doing the claim must have misunderstood. It is $300 per item, not per order. I of course didn't argue the case.

But it shows me there is some manual process going on where someone is reviewing and making a decision. This is why I will be curious to see if my other orders on a Gold AU on wife's Plat card continue to be approved. I did a small test case earlier where it was approved, but may have been due to it being small or due to that particular adjuster's understanding.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: January 01, 2022, 02:35:56 PM »
This may be more of a manual process and therefore dependent on who is doing the processing.
<snip>
But it shows me there is some manual process going on where someone is reviewing and making a decision.

That's certainly the impression I get. As I mentioned in a post several days ago, one item that I purchased (and whose charge posted) in 2019 got clearly counted toward my 2020 totals instead (I claimed it in February or March of 2020). And twice this past year, we've had them send us a request for proof that the item wasn't returned and that no credit was received for it. The first time was on a family member's card, and it was easy enough since it was bought at a small store where I was able to e-mail the store and ask for a short e-mail stating that the item bought on transaction number ##### was never returned, and no credit or refund was issued for it. This time, just a couple days ago, the AmEx adjuster made the same type of request (presumably written individually and not by a native speaker of English, since it said "proof that you did not received any credit") for an item I bought off of eBay...I'm still at a bit of a loss as to how I'm going to prove that I didn't return an item from eBay or receive a credit for it, unless I ask the seller to provide with with a statement, which seems a bit out of eBay protocol. What I did for now is to print a new copy of my Order Details, which clearly shows the purchase amount and charge amount but no refund (which I assume would be indicated on your "Order Details" page if you returned the item) and which also includes a line that states that the "Return Window closed on December 2, 2021". Hopefully that will be enough for them, but if not, it'll be time to place a phone call to ask how I can fulfill their request for documentation when the item was bought off of eBay. Anyhow, back to the point of this discussion, it's certainly been my impression at times during the five or six years of experience that we've had with Return Protection that someone really is making individual decisions, although 99% of the claims we've filed have been trouble-free to the point that you'd be forgiven for thinking that it's an automated process on their end.

Happy New Year everyone!

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: January 01, 2022, 10:55:23 PM »
Ty for all the DP's. I did not ending up doing it. The risk wasn't worth it for me.

Offline chookshook

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: January 04, 2022, 03:43:19 AM »
Does a receipt need to have individual items on an invoice? If I buy a drill for example, it comes with a small set of basic bits , but I can choose to upgrade to a bigger set of drill bits with the purchase. If I buy the set seperately then I will have doubles of some of the bits plus it costs 15% more to buy seperately.
When bought together it shows it as 1 item but a sub item is the drill bits with a price for that upgrade.
Is this considered 1 item or 2 items?
If it's one line item on the receipt it's one item even if it includes multiples. I don't think you can get partial refunds for returning part of an item.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: January 04, 2022, 04:21:39 PM »
If it's one line item on the receipt it's one item even if it includes multiples. I don't think you can get partial refunds for returning part of an item.
I don't think the original poster is asking about multiples...he's simply explaining that IF he were to buy the "upgraded" set as a completely separate item, some of the pieces would end up being duplicates of what's in the set that comes with the primary item, and it would cost him 15% more overall than just getting them via the "upgrade". The only issue to me is that as the O.P. explained, the upgrade is listed as a separate line item on the receipt, with its own price. My advice would be that IF the O.P. ends up wanted to file a return protection claim for this purchase, he should do ONE claim but with BOTH items on that single claim, so that he can get refunded for both items with the least amount of hassle...by which I mean, if he tries to list it as a single item, the person reviewing the claim might only approve reimbursement for the price of the primary item. If, however, both the primary item and the upgrade are listed by the O.P. as separate items on a single claim, by comparing that with the total purchase price that'll also be listed by the O.P. on the final set of claims documents, the person reviewing the claim can put two-and-two together and figure out the justification for reimbursing the O.P. for the total amount, including the upgrade.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: January 05, 2022, 06:31:39 PM »
I submitted a claim about a week and a half ago, received the paperwork to fill out the next day and submitted.  Now when I log onto the claims center it says "There are no outstanding claims for your card(s)".  Is anyone else seeing this?  (I have not received a decision.)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: January 05, 2022, 08:07:37 PM »
I submitted a claim about a week and a half ago, received the paperwork to fill out the next day and submitted.  Now when I log onto the claims center it says "There are no outstanding claims for your card(s)".  Is anyone else seeing this?  (I have not received a decision.)

Yeah, I get that about half the time when I log in to the claims website. Usually I just hit "refresh" once and it comes up correctly the second time. This morning, though, I think I had to refresh it five or six times before I saw my claim. The shortcut is to simply type in your claim number (if you wrote it down or saved it to your computer) and search for it that way. But either way, I can confirm that the message "There are no outstanding claims for your card(s)" doesn't mean that they've somehow lost or rejected your claim, it's just a glitch with the loading of their website at any given time. I also get the same thing sometimes when I got to my card accounts homepage, sometimes it'll tell me something like "We're sorry, we can't display your balance right now" or something like that. That seems to be another glitch, too, and it goes away if I either refresh the page or simply sign out and sign in again.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: January 06, 2022, 07:20:39 PM »
Yeah, I get that about half the time when I log in to the claims website. Usually I just hit "refresh" once and it comes up correctly the second time. This morning, though, I think I had to refresh it five or six times before I saw my claim.
+1

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: January 06, 2022, 07:21:45 PM »
Does it make sense my claim is sitting for a week already?

What's the time frame from submitting receipt until claim is processed?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: January 06, 2022, 09:23:30 PM »
Does it make sense my claim is sitting for a week already?

What's the time frame from submitting receipt until claim is processed?

It's been taking mine about ten days from the time I submit a receipt until the time it's approved, and someone else several days ago posted that it took theirs ten days, too. So I'd say give it another three to five days.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: January 14, 2022, 03:44:06 PM »
Anyone have any experience using Return Protection for tools, and specifically automotive tools? The exclusions note that automobiles and their accessories aren't eligible, but I would argue that automotive tools aren't really "accessories" and they're definitely not permanently attached to a vehicle. Anyhow, just wondering if anyone here has had experience with this. Thanks!

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: January 16, 2022, 05:44:45 PM »
Is there a way to upload the receipt while submitting the claim, as opposed to waiting a few days for them to ask for it?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: January 17, 2022, 12:28:48 AM »
Is there a way to upload the receipt while submitting the claim, as opposed to waiting a few days for them to ask for it?

No, because there isn't anywhere on the claims website for you to upload anything when you're filling out the claims documentation. Likewise, when they send you the confirmation notice, there's nothing on there that would give you anywhere to upload anything. The only place you can upload anything is with that link that they give you on the second letter (the one where they tell you that they want the receipt and the completed forms). And each link is unique to each claim, so it's not like you can use your last claim's link to upload a new claim's documentation. Besides, it wouldn't make a difference because you'd still have to wait for the claims forms, fill them out, sign them and upload them.

Offline jack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: January 18, 2022, 02:21:03 AM »
Slightly off topic - I want to purchase a coat for $800 but has a final sale no return policy. Which credit card would be my best bet in case it’s no good?

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: January 18, 2022, 11:58:03 AM »
Slightly off topic - I want to purchase a coat for $800 but has a final sale no return policy. Which credit card would be my best bet in case it’s no good?

The chase sapphire reserve card offers return protection up to $500. So that would be a decent option, but it’s still far from ideal since you would be eating a $300 loss. I’m not aware of any cards that offer more than $500 in return protection

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: January 20, 2022, 12:26:30 PM »
The chase sapphire reserve card offers return protection up to $500. So that would be a decent option, but it’s still far from ideal since you would be eating a $300 loss. I’m not aware of any cards that offer more than $500 in return protection

Chase will make you send the item to them as well, and you will need to pay for shipping.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: January 20, 2022, 02:41:08 PM »
Chase will make you send the item to them as well, and you will need to pay for shipping.
+1
BTDT. PITA.