Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157510 times)

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3860 on: January 20, 2022, 02:42:55 PM »
No, because there isn't anywhere on the claims website for you to upload anything when you're filling out the claims documentation. Likewise, when they send you the confirmation notice, there's nothing on there that would give you anywhere to upload anything. The only place you can upload anything is with that link that they give you on the second letter (the one where they tell you that they want the receipt and the completed forms). And each link is unique to each claim, so it's not like you can use your last claim's link to upload a new claim's documentation. Besides, it wouldn't make a difference because you'd still have to wait for the claims forms, fill them out, sign them and upload them.
Thanks.
The link can be changed, You just insert your claim number into the link. The problem is the 4 digit code. You need that to upload docs via the link.
Really inefficient that you can't upload docs the first time around.

Offline xoSushi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: January 20, 2022, 03:28:52 PM »
+1
BTDT. PITA.

Yep. I used Return Protection with Chase. It was for like $18 pair of Crocs. They asked for me to return the shoes. Shipping was $12 so I didn't bother, and I never filed a claim with them again.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: January 21, 2022, 04:25:37 AM »
Yep. I used Return Protection with Chase. It was for like $18 pair of Crocs. They asked for me to return the shoes. Shipping was $12 so I didn't bother, and I never filed a claim with them again.

I've never tried Chase's Return Protection, but I saw this horror story online the other day, posted in July of 2021, where the person seems to have done everything right, but Chase still accused them of trying to get a refund for damaged goods, which the person said wasn't the case, but Chase denied their claim. Of course, we don't know both sides of the story, but the side we do know certainly doesn't make it sound anywhere as consumer-friendly as the service that AmEx provides: https://frequentmiler.com/an-experience-with-credit-card-return-protection/

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: January 21, 2022, 11:07:03 AM »
I've never tried Chase's Return Protection, but I saw this horror story online the other day, posted in July of 2021, where the person seems to have done everything right, but Chase still accused them of trying to get a refund for damaged goods, which the person said wasn't the case, but Chase denied their claim. Of course, we don't know both sides of the story, but the side we do know certainly doesn't make it sound anywhere as consumer-friendly as the service that AmEx provides: https://frequentmiler.com/an-experience-with-credit-card-return-protection/

I've used Chase many times before. Never had any issues.

Offline lizbette

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: January 24, 2022, 12:53:04 AM »
I submitted a claim a week ago, usually i receive an email within 2 days asking for document upload. however, I still haven't gotten any email from amex. status of the claim says open. anyone else experiencing delays in amex confirmation of receipt of claim?

Offline Dangaroo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: January 24, 2022, 07:42:02 PM »
I submitted a claim a week ago, usually i receive an email within 2 days asking for document upload. however, I still haven't gotten any email from amex. status of the claim says open. anyone else experiencing delays in amex confirmation of receipt of claim?

Over the last two weeks I've seen the time from Claim Submission to Receiving Follow-up Paperwork climb up to 10 days. Before this period the typical timing I was seeing was 2-3 days for initial follow-up and then about 7 days more to claim processing. So they're definitely dragging right now.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: January 24, 2022, 10:37:45 PM »
Over the last two weeks I've seen the time from Claim Submission to Receiving Follow-up Paperwork climb up to 10 days. Before this period the typical timing I was seeing was 2-3 days for initial follow-up and then about 7 days more to claim processing. So they're definitely dragging right now.

Yeah, mine have been running at least 7 days for the documents request and another 8-9 days for the claims to be approved after I submit the receipt and other documents.

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: February 07, 2022, 11:41:33 PM »
I field a purchase protection claim on Jan 15, uploaded the receipt on Jan 16 and till now there has been no update on it with status as open. Amex claims team had been very well with responses previously with a decision returned within 1-2weeks but this is now almost going to be 1 month with no update.

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: February 09, 2022, 04:54:35 PM »
I can't upload documentation to Amex. Get the message:

"docupload-prod.americanexpress.com uses encryption to protect your information. When Microsoft Edge tried to connect to docupload-prod.americanexpress.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials"
"You cannot visit docupload-prod.americanexpress.com right now because its certificate has been revoked. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later."

Same thing from Chrome.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: February 09, 2022, 07:28:18 PM »

"docupload-prod.americanexpress.com uses encryption to protect your information. When Microsoft Edge tried to connect to docupload-prod.americanexpress.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials"
"You cannot visit docupload-prod.americanexpress.com right now because its certificate has been revoked. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later."

Same thing from Chrome.
Use the following link
https://americanexpress.com/claimdocuments
Or alternatively
https://docuploadnle.americanexpress.com/en-us/docUploadUS

Your claim number and pin is in the link provided in the pdf
https://americanexpress.com/claimdocuments?claimno=XXXXXXXXXX&dun=XXXX
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:34:58 PM by Yo ssi »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: February 10, 2022, 09:34:19 PM »
Use the following link
https://americanexpress.com/claimdocuments
Or alternatively
https://docuploadnle.americanexpress.com/en-us/docUploadUS

Your claim number and pin is in the link provided in the pdf
https://americanexpress.com/claimdocuments?claimno=XXXXXXXXXX&dun=XXXX

Thanks, go the documentation through their provided link today, but will keep these in mind for the future.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: February 11, 2022, 05:10:48 PM »
I field a purchase protection claim on Jan 15, uploaded the receipt on Jan 16 and till now there has been no update on it with status as open. Amex claims team had been very well with responses previously with a decision returned within 1-2weeks but this is now almost going to be 1 month with no update.

Have you seen any updates on your claim yet? Just to clarify, was this a Return Protection claim, or a "Purchase Protection" claim as you wrote in your post? I don't know what the timeline is on Purchase Protection claims, but I've never seen a Return Protection claim take more than 11-12 days from the time I submit my receipt and documentation (and in the past, it was usually no more than 7 days). If you don't see movement by this weekend, I'd give them a call on Monday to check.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: February 11, 2022, 05:15:56 PM »

Same thing from Chrome.

I've never had an issue with Chrome, but if you're getting the same response from two different browsers, it's either an issue with your computer, or with the AmEx system. I see that you said that you were finally able to upload your documents, so my guess would be that it was a temporary problem with their website, but the only other thing I can think of is if you had the wrong date and/or time set on your computer, or if the Microsoft system was auto-syncing your system to the wrong date and/or time. The only problem I've ever had (other than a slow internet connection) is if the "cookies" were still in the browser from a previous sessoin, I sometimes get an error message, and that's fixed by going into the Chrome settings, looking at "all cookies" and searching for ones with "americanexpress" in them, and deleting those, and then trying again.

Hope this helps!

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: February 12, 2022, 11:07:59 AM »
Have you seen any updates on your claim yet? Just to clarify, was this a Return Protection claim, or a "Purchase Protection" claim as you wrote in your post? I don't know what the timeline is on Purchase Protection claims, but I've never seen a Return Protection claim take more than 11-12 days from the time I submit my receipt and documentation (and in the past, it was usually no more than 7 days). If you don't see movement by this weekend, I'd give them a call on Monday to check.
My claim was a purchase protection and it was not a big amount about $100. I have only filed it once before and that was settled in under 2 weeks and I expected the process to be smooth but was surprised to see it taking a longer time frame. I did receive a documentation today saying that they have received my documentation, so I hope finally someone is looking into it.

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: February 23, 2022, 12:27:01 PM »
I received a response from Amex after I sent the usual info for "Supporting documentation from merchant showing item(s) is has not been returned or credited (invoice, email, etc.)." Has anyone seen such a request before? It seems odd (the item was purchased from Amazon if it is relevant).

Offline Yikes2179

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: February 23, 2022, 12:43:53 PM »
I received a response from Amex after I sent the usual info for "Supporting documentation from merchant showing item(s) is has not been returned or credited (invoice, email, etc.)." Has anyone seen such a request before? It seems odd (the item was purchased from Amazon if it is relevant).
Received it many times. I usually send a screenshot of the order page and I circle the part where it says returns ended which shows it wasn't returned.

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: February 24, 2022, 01:15:42 PM »
Is the Return Protection cap of $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year, per card or account?

Same goes for their Purchase Protection cap of up to $10,000 per occurrence, $50,000 per calendar year --- per card or account?

issue comes up if have multiple green business cards associated with 1 platinum.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: February 24, 2022, 01:22:51 PM »
Is the Return Protection cap of $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year, per card or account?

Same goes for their Purchase Protection cap of up to $10,000 per occurrence, $50,000 per calendar year --- per card or account?

issue comes up if have multiple green business cards associated with 1 platinum.

The exact language from their T&C is: "up to a maximum of $1,000 per Card Member account per calendar year"

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: February 24, 2022, 01:31:53 PM »

FWIW the wiki says the limit is regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

But more useful, the wiki says this-

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Offline zaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: February 24, 2022, 04:50:57 PM »

Dan wrote several times it's per card, just keep in mind the green cards don't have rp