Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157505 times)

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #3900 on: March 19, 2022, 02:28:30 AM »
The condition is not stated on the invoice. How does Amex verify it?

It really depends. If it's from eBay, for example, they can look up the item number and see the listing. If you bought it from a store, AmEx may contact them, as there have been reports on here of AmEx contacting the store for other reasons, such as to verify that they won't accept a return, and there was a report here recently that AmEx actually talked a merchant into accepting the return. So there's no reason to believe that they also wouldn't ask the details of the item. I once accidentally filed a claim for the wrong item, and unfortunately, the item that I accidentally claimed for was one that I had exchanged for a different item, and AmEx denied the claim saying that the item was no longer in my possession--and this was a straight exchange where no money was refunded to my credit card! So they have their ways of finding out! On the other hand, it's true that they might not find out that an item was "open box", "refurbished" or even "used" if it doesn't state it on the invoice and they don't try to check. In one case, I bought an item in-store that actually WAS new, but I asked them for a discount and they obliged, and one receipt described the purchase as an "open box discount" while the other receipt/invoice did not. So I of course submitted to AmEx the receipt that didn't say "open box" (and I wasn't lying, because it really wasn't an "open box" item), and it was approved. So as with everything else, YMMV, and all chances you take are at your own risk. :-)

Offline qooldude

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: March 19, 2022, 09:29:15 PM »
So as with everything else, YMMV, and all chances you take are at your own risk. :-)
Is there really much of a risk with that other than not being approved for the refund?
........|............................|||"|""\__
........|________________|||_|___|)<
........!(@)'(@)"**!(@)(@)****!(@)

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: March 20, 2022, 04:20:59 PM »
Is there really much of a risk with that other than not being approved for the refund?

In theory if Amex thinks you are intentionally abusing the program and/or being untruthful then they could blacklist you

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: March 25, 2022, 02:51:38 PM »

In theory if Amex thinks you are intentionally abusing the program and/or being untruthful then they could blacklist you

While the latter is true, I doubt that would ever happen just because someone tried to claim a used, refurbished, or "open box" item. Instead, I think it would just come back as a denial for that reason, but it wouldn't raise any red flags. Abuse would be more like claiming things that were purchased and/or returned fraudulently, lying about any of the details of your claim, or some indication that you didn't purchase the item with the intent of actually keeping it, such as buying things that you claim and then them showing up on eBay or at that clothing store that you just happen to own (in fact, I think that things bought for business use are actually excluded according to the Terms & Conditions of Return Protection, and that would definitely qualify). Instead, what I meant by "risk" was simply what the O.P. stated, that you take a chance on filing a claim for it and it doesn't get approved. But, of course, you never know, and in the world of credit cards, stranger things have happened, like clawbacks, account freezes and closures, etc., but none that I can think of that we've heard of here being due to Return Protection...I guess by nature of Return Protection and the other benefits being a form of insurance, most (but certainly not all) people have the common sense not to try to defraud insurance companies.  ;D

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: April 01, 2022, 10:31:51 PM »
Just curious if anyone here has tried Return Protection with either of the two AmEx Amazon.com business cards. I just followed the link on AmEx's website and it take you to an Amazon.com page about the two business cards, and most of the reviews seem to be negative, based on a supposed glitch in their application site (and when I clicked on the "Apply Now" link, sure enough, it's an Amazon.com address and not an americanexpress.com address). Anyhow, was considering the possibility of checking out one of these two business cards, but was wondering if the Return Protection process is the same as any other AmEx card, or if it's just as glitchy as the reviews say the online application is. Thanks!

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: April 05, 2022, 01:48:36 AM »
Just curious if anyone here has tried Return Protection with either of the two AmEx Amazon.com business cards. I just followed the link on AmEx's website and it take you to an Amazon.com page about the two business cards, and most of the reviews seem to be negative, based on a supposed glitch in their application site (and when I clicked on the "Apply Now" link, sure enough, it's an Amazon.com address and not an americanexpress.com address). Anyhow, was considering the possibility of checking out one of these two business cards, but was wondering if the Return Protection process is the same as any other AmEx card, or if it's just as glitchy as the reviews say the online application is. Thanks!

My wife and both have the business prime card and have used them for return protection. No problem. The return protection process on these cards works the same as on the other Amex cards with RP. Or I should say it is the same for wife and I, though we have had the cards for some years now. I don't know if it is the same for new applicants.

When I click through the link for getting a new Amex Business Card, I don't see Return Protection being listed as a benefit, but when I click through on Terms/Conditions it does say it has it. So perhaps it is something that it still has for new applicants but they don't advertise?

I have submitted a RP on the card last year and this year(recently this year, which I have submitted documents, but haven't heard back yet for approval).

Offline coolmuke

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: April 05, 2022, 09:01:55 AM »
Is there a thread for Amex Amazon business card? I have a shared prime grandfathered plan. When I click on the link to apply, I am getting only the regular option and not prime version.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: April 05, 2022, 01:55:58 PM »
My wife and both have the business prime card and have used them for return protection. No problem. The return protection process on these cards works the same as on the other Amex cards with RP. Or I should say it is the same for wife and I, though we have had the cards for some years now. I don't know if it is the same for new applicants.

When I click through the link for getting a new Amex Business Card, I don't see Return Protection being listed as a benefit, but when I click through on Terms/Conditions it does say it has it. So perhaps it is something that it still has for new applicants but they don't advertise?

I have submitted a RP on the card last year and this year(recently this year, which I have submitted documents, but haven't heard back yet for approval).

Thanks for the reply! Actually, I just checked again on Amazon.com's page about the card, and about halfway down the page, it does mention "Return Protection" as one of the business benefits (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Business-American-Express-Card/dp/B07984JN3L)

Regarding not having heard back for approval on your claim, I've noticed the turnaround time gradually getting longer and longer these past six months, and at this point, they almost always take a full two weeks to approve my claims after I submit documentation (although still technically within 14 BUSINESS days if that's how they're counting it). I guess the days of one-week turnarounds are now a thing of the past (in fact, they've even been taking a full week just to send us the documents to fill out after submitting our claim information online).

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: April 07, 2022, 12:31:23 PM »
Anyone know if you are still eligible for return protection if you cancel the card on purchases made prior to the cancellation?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: April 07, 2022, 01:16:38 PM »
Anyone know if you are still eligible for return protection if you cancel the card on purchases made prior to the cancellation?

My understanding of the Terms and Conditions is that it says that you have to still have the card in good standing in order to use Return Protection, or any of the other card benefits for that matter, which means that cancelling the card or product-changing it to a different card that doesn't offer Return Protection eliminates your ability to use Return Protection on any past purchases. I certainly would like to hear from anyone who has experience to the contrary on this, though!

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: April 07, 2022, 01:59:10 PM »
My understanding of the Terms and Conditions is that it says that you have to still have the card in good standing in order to use Return Protection, or any of the other card benefits for that matter, which means that cancelling the card or product-changing it to a different card that doesn't offer Return Protection eliminates your ability to use Return Protection on any past purchases. I certainly would like to hear from anyone who has experience to the contrary on this, though!
Just file for the return protection worse case scenario they deny it.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: April 07, 2022, 02:53:24 PM »
Just file for the return protection worse case scenario they deny it.

Im trying to decide whether or not I should cancel the card lol

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: April 08, 2022, 03:48:03 AM »
Im trying to decide whether or not I should cancel the card lol

If you have enough time left, I'd say, file your claim for Return Protection first, wait for that to go through and get approved, and then cancel your card afterwards. Right now, it's taking them around seven days to send the paperwork that you need to fill out, and then once you submit that, they've been taking around 14 days to approve your claim. So ideally, you would still have 25-30 days before you need to cancel the card. I forgot whether the annual fee is fully reimbursed within 30 days of when the bill closes, or 30 days after the fee posts, or 30 days after you pay the fee. Someone here can surely clarify that for us, but in the meantime, just make sure that if you really need to file that return protection claim, you do it ASAP, and that you can afford at least 21 days between filing the claim and the deadline for cancelling the card in time to get the annual fee refunded to you.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: April 08, 2022, 09:43:06 AM »
If you have enough time left, I'd say, file your claim for Return Protection first, wait for that to go through and get approved, and then cancel your card afterwards. Right now, it's taking them around seven days to send the paperwork that you need to fill out, and then once you submit that, they've been taking around 14 days to approve your claim. So ideally, you would still have 25-30 days before you need to cancel the card. I forgot whether the annual fee is fully reimbursed within 30 days of when the bill closes, or 30 days after the fee posts, or 30 days after you pay the fee. Someone here can surely clarify that for us, but in the meantime, just make sure that if you really need to file that return protection claim, you do it ASAP, and that you can afford at least 21 days between filing the claim and the deadline for cancelling the card in time to get the annual fee refunded to you.

Amex will refund the annual fee if you cancel it within 30 days of the closing date of the billing statement on which the fee appears.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: April 08, 2022, 02:01:41 PM »
Amex will refund the annual fee if you cancel it within 30 days of the closing date of the billing statement on which the fee appears.

Okay, thanks for that clarification. So, then, to the original poster: In order to both (A) get your return protection claim processed and approved and (B) not have to pay the annual fee on the card you'd like to cancel, you'd basically have to file your return protection claim no later than the closing date on the bill on which the annual fee appeared. That would give you about seven days for them to send you the documents to fill out, and, assuming that you filled out the documents and submitted them ASAP, another 14-15 days for them to review your documents and approve the claim, and you'd still have about seven days left to cancel the card before your 30 days were up (remember, this is all based on the current trend of them taking about five to seven days from the time you submit your claim until they send you the documents to fill out, and then them taking 14-15 days from the time you submit the documents until you get their decision letter). Otherwise, if it's too late and you're already well past the closing date on that bill with the annual fee, then the only thing you can do is to submit the return protection claim, cancel the card before your 30 days are up, and hope that, like another poster said, they might still approve the claim. Based on the T&C though, I would assume that if you did that, you'd get a denial letter stating that it can't be approved since the T&C state that in order to use Return Protection or any other benefit, your card needs to be open and in good standing. But, of course, if you have no other choice, you don't lose anything by trying. Another issue of course is the amount of the annual fee vs. the amount of the item you want to return. If the item is $300 and the annual fee is $95, then it's obviously more valuable to pay the annual fee and get $300 back. But if the annual fee is $595, then your priority is not paying that large fee, and getting the smaller return protection claim approved is just an afterthought. Good luck, though, and let us know how it turns out!

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: April 12, 2022, 03:19:56 PM »
anyone have any luck getting a claim adjuster on the phone recently?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: April 15, 2022, 12:05:32 PM »

I can't speak to that since the last time I tried to call in was about nine months ago, but if their staffing is in any way connected to the people who send out the PDF claim documents for us to fill out, it might help to know that they just took ten days to send me mine. I remember that up until the beginning of last year, I would always receive them within 2-3 days after filing a claim. So maybe they're just understaffed in general? So with them taking 10 days to send out the PDF claim documents, and 14-15 days to approve a claim, this is now becoming a nearly month-long process whereas it used to all get done within two weeks, from filing to approval, a year or so ago.

Offline jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: April 24, 2022, 10:43:38 PM »
Will Amex Return Protection take back - shoes that were being tried on but worn outside for 2 minutes?

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: April 24, 2022, 10:56:32 PM »
I would think so

Online joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: April 26, 2022, 10:59:29 AM »
got on the phone within 2 minutes and took care(hopefully) of my issue. I filed the claim under the wrong amex cc...