Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1175322 times)

Offline Dover

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4040 on: September 18, 2022, 12:37:07 AM »
I've made RetPro claims on my business cards for personal items before and never had a problem. Plus, there's nothing at all stated in the T&C's, just that you bought the item, still have possession of it (i.e., didn't exchange it, get a refund for it, or otherwise dispose of it), and paid for it 100% using your card. So it shouldn't be a problem. Nor do they (as far as I can tell) look over your account history. I believe that RetPro and the other benefits are all dealt with by AmEx Assurance, and I've never gotten the impression that they were able to look back over my account to see specifics of what I had been buying in the past...that--to me at least--would be an invasion of privacy.

Thank you!

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: September 20, 2022, 09:21:16 AM »
Regarding ebay new or not.

Amex just asked me to show that the item was new for a purchase back in 2019! This is for warranty protection.
I didn't have a screenshot of the listing. I did have an email from ebay@cpscentral offering extended warranty purchase, which does show the item as New. So I hope this goes through for enough proof for them.
I am going to be cognizant in the future to keep a screenshot of the actual item on ebay to show that it is new since the order details does not indicate it.

Offline Dangaroo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: September 20, 2022, 07:20:34 PM »
Anyone have an DP on claiming return protection for mattresses?

I've successfully completed a return protection on a mattress without issue.

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: September 25, 2022, 07:05:17 PM »
I've successfully completed a return protection on a mattress without issue.
How long did it take? and was the process easy?

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: September 26, 2022, 09:29:18 AM »
Filed a claim mid last week, still haven’t gotten the request for documentation. Previously, I was getting documentation request within 2 days max. Anyone else find the process slowed down a little?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: September 27, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
Didn't return protection used to state something about not covering gas powered items? Not seeing that now.

Also, I noticed a big difference in extended warranty, where they changed the terms after 12/2019 to not cover "Motorized Devices", where as it used to say "Motor vehicles".
I am thinking now that extended warranty wouldn't apply to eBikes and am questioning if they would be planning to not be covered by Ret Prot as well.

Though I have recently submitted RP for a couple of eBikes and had them covered without question.

The changed warranty terms are strange. They now say.

"Motorized Devices or Motorized Device Parts, except for Motorized Devices and
Motorized Device Parts that are permanent residential or business fixtures that can
be removed without damaging the structure;"

Doesn't this mean anything with a motor wouldn't be covered? Such as a blender or a disk drive.
But motorized devices that are a permanent fixture that can be removed without damaging the structure are covered?
Is a dishwasher a "permanent fixture that can be removed"? So a dishwasher is covered but a table top blender is not? Very confusing.

Just not sure what they mean here by a motorized device. Was hoping my eBikes would be covered by Ext Warranty as well.
They bolded the "Motorized Device" words. Perhaps they are just trying to cover themselves against electric car coverage. But I could see them applying this to eBikes and scooters as well.

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: September 28, 2022, 04:50:33 AM »
how often do they ask for you to take pictures, i did return protection for a mouse and they wanted pictures (maybe to confirm condition?)

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: September 28, 2022, 09:55:24 AM »
how often do they ask for you to take pictures, i did return protection for a mouse and they wanted pictures (maybe to confirm condition?)

I've never been asked for pics

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: September 28, 2022, 04:00:37 PM »
I believe it has something to do with the condition of the item. I once marked a phone as 'used but in good condition' because I had opened the box and the only alternate options was 'new in box'. They asked me for pictures and referenced the condition while doing so, leading me to believe that was the cause.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: September 29, 2022, 10:21:48 PM »
I believe it has something to do with the condition of the item. I once marked a phone as 'used but in good condition' because I had opened the box and the only alternate options was 'new in box'. They asked me for pictures and referenced the condition while doing so, leading me to believe that was the cause.

So did they approve a Return Protection claim for an item that you stated was "used but in good condition"? I thought that any item claimed for Return Protection had to be in "new" condition? That would be good to know.

Offline droidtest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4050 on: September 30, 2022, 01:01:13 AM »
So did they approve a Return Protection claim for an item that you stated was "used but in good condition"? I thought that any item claimed for Return Protection had to be in "new" condition? That would be good to know.
I had a claim denied because I marked the condition as Other, since it was only opened by Me and tested for 1 day so I noted it accordinly and marked it as Other (Mint). After denial, I resubmitted the claim again noting it as a new also letting them know why the previous claim was denied, they asked for pictures and then approved the claim.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: September 30, 2022, 05:39:30 PM »
I didn't end up responding. Between when I filed the claim (it was for a phone) and when they asked for pictures, I got took advantage of a trade in offer and no longer had the phone to take pictures of.

To clarify, as stated in the above post, my phone was brand new, and only used because I had opened it.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: September 30, 2022, 11:26:36 PM »
I had a claim denied because I marked the condition as Other, since it was only opened by Me and tested for 1 day so I noted it accordinly and marked it as Other (Mint). After denial, I resubmitted the claim again noting it as a new also letting them know why the previous claim was denied, they asked for pictures and then approved the claim.

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that they let you resubmit the claim; that's good information for us to know. I always mark "New" even though a lot of times I've opened the box and tried the item out, and whenever that's the case, I clearly explain in the "reason why you want to return the item" things that make it obvious that I've opened and tried the item, for example, "it didn't have the features that I was hoping for", "it was too difficult to use", "I wasn't satisfied with the quality", etc. If they're paying any attention, reasons like that indicate that I've opened and used the item, but I do always make sure to keep the item in perfectly new condition, including all of the packaging and contents, in the off chance that they ask me to return it. The bottom line is, it's always been my impression from experience that they still consider the condition of an item to be "New" even if you've opened it and tried it out, as long as the actual condition of the item is otherwise exactly how it looked and worked when it was fresh out of the box.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: October 06, 2022, 11:49:14 AM »

I just got asked for pics. First time. The items are in original condition and still sealed in the box.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: October 07, 2022, 11:20:59 AM »

did they approve your claim after you submitted the pics?

Offline Cls2020

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: October 21, 2022, 10:15:41 AM »
I saw some mentions of this from a few years ago, but was curious if anyone had a more recent experience where a purchase was split among two Amex credit cards with RP whether that is an eligible claim (likely not per the T&C) and if not, whether anyone has had success anyway.

Offline qwertyaas

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: October 31, 2022, 02:35:00 PM »
Does anyone know if the yearly limit is based on the claim date, or pay date. I received a Return Protection in the first week of January 2022 related to a 2021 purchase.

And has anyone had issues with Apple product return protection?

Online 6girls

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: October 31, 2022, 10:25:19 PM »
Does anyone know if the yearly limit is based on the claim date, or pay date. I received a Return Protection in the first week of January 2022 related to a 2021 purchase.

Based on the date of purchase.
Never tried Apple but don't see why it should be an issue.

Offline Yikes2179

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: October 31, 2022, 11:00:07 PM »

Done many apple products with no issue

Offline qwertyaas

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: November 01, 2022, 09:42:35 AM »
Done many apple products with no issue

Thank you.

Based on the date of purchase.
Never tried Apple but don't see why it should be an issue.

Thanks. So don't rely on YTD protection if looking at yearly limit but purchase dates of applicable benefit.