Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157383 times)

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4160 on: February 27, 2023, 10:38:49 AM »
Getting a lot of "Sorry, our system is not responding. Please try your request again later." Happening after entering all of the information.
Got one through today and then this message again.

Is Amex Ghosting me?

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: February 27, 2023, 12:35:00 PM »
Getting a lot of "Sorry, our system is not responding. Please try your request again later." Happening after entering all of the information.

Is Amex Ghosting me?
I've had the same recently. Quite frustrating
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: February 28, 2023, 04:04:53 PM »

Is Amex Ghosting me?

No, it's not just you. I've had the same thing happen several times over the past couple of weeks. Usually the way it ends up working for me is that I get everything filled out, hit "submit", and then it gives me the "Sorry..." message, and then the second time I fill everything out, it goes through properly. But just yesterday, after it gave me the "Sorry..." message three times, I signed out of my account, closed the tab on my browser, opened a new one, signed in again, etc. etc., and it went through that time. That was probably sheer luck, though, and not the result of me signing out and re-signing in, but I was getting desperate at that point!

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: March 04, 2023, 06:52:48 AM »
I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed here... I know that there have been posts confirming that even though Return Protection requires that the item be "purchased in the United States" or a few territories, claims have been approved from overseas merchants as long as the item is shipped to an address in the United States (in fact, I've had at least three claims approved for items that I ordered from overseas Amazon websites--that is, NOT amazon.COM). Has anyone here had experience trying to claim something that was shipped to an address outside of the United States and its territories, as long as the billing address given to the merchant was a U.S. address (in other words, the billing address would still be the U.S. address, but the shipping address would be overseas because the buyer was on vacation or a business trip)? Thanks!

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: March 05, 2023, 05:46:17 PM »

Is Amex Ghosting me?
I have that all the time.

It's important to realize that even though it displays that message your claim still went through, if you login to the claim center you'll see they assigned you a claim number

Online LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: March 05, 2023, 06:16:21 PM »

After getting this screen open again this link in a new tab https://americanexpress.com/onlineclaim, worked for me.

----
Has anyone had an SSD covered?

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: March 05, 2023, 07:10:19 PM »
After getting this screen open again this link in a new tab https://americanexpress.com/onlineclaim, worked for me.

----
Has anyone had an SSD covered?

Yes, I've had more than one SSD covered, both internal and external.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: March 05, 2023, 07:13:06 PM »
I have that all the time.

It's important to realize that even though it displays that message your claim still went through, if you login to the claim center you'll see they assigned you a claim number

Actually, that's not usually the case, at least not in my experience. You're correct that every once in a while, that error message will come up, but if you refresh your claims page, you'll see that the submission did go through and a claim number has been assigned. But that's the minority of cases I've seen; usually, when that error message comes up, even if I wait a few minutes, there's nothing new on the claims page, and so I resubmit it, and it goes through the second (or third) time, and it's clear that the original submission never went through. But you're right that people should check the claims homepage first before resubmitting the information.

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: March 10, 2023, 03:27:30 AM »
did they approve your claim after you submitted the pics?

Yes they did

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: March 15, 2023, 04:05:57 AM »
Has anyone done return protection for robot vaccum? I tried to return protection, but they deny it claiming it is not in original purchase condition. Anyone ever have this happen even though I used it only a few times and i put original condition on form?

Offline FlyingBoat

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: March 15, 2023, 10:21:26 AM »
Has anyone done return protection for robot vaccum? I tried to return protection, but they deny it claiming it is not in original purchase condition. Anyone ever have this happen even though I used it only a few times and i put original condition on form?

Did you indicate on the form that it was in original condition? You need to mark that, even if you have used it.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: March 15, 2023, 11:27:17 AM »
Did you indicate on the form that it was in original condition?
i put original condition on form
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: March 16, 2023, 07:15:14 AM »

My only guess is that maybe it had something to do with what you wrote on the line asking about why you'd like to return the item. Was there something that made it sound like you had used it? I always try to avoid saying anything that makes the item sound used, which could give them the impression that it's not in "new" and "original" condition. Of course, I don't know what you wrote, but in the future, try saying things like "I didn't like the color" or "I changed my mind" or "I found my old one so I no longer need this one" or "It didn't have all of the features that I was looking for". At least in those cases, it doesn't make it sound like you actually used the item. On the other hand, if you didn't say anything that made the vacuum sound used, then that's really strange that they'd assume that it wasn't in the original condition, and maybe you could try appealing the decision?

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: March 17, 2023, 05:20:17 AM »
I wrote I used it a few times but didn't like it. Is that enough for them to deny it? I did it for router and mouse but never got a denial like this

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: March 17, 2023, 03:02:33 PM »
I wrote I used it a few times but didn't like it. Is that enough for them to deny it? I did it for router and mouse but never got a denial like this

My guess is that by nature, a vacuum is different. If you have, say, a television or a keyboard, and you use it a few times, it's still as good as new. If you have a vacuum and use it even once, it's now dirty and difficult to return to "new" condition. That's my guess. Of course, it's altogether possible that you just ended up with a claims adjuster who was in a bad mood that day. My advice would be to avoid making it obvious that you used something, because that can always lead them to believe that it's not in "new" condition. Next time just try something like "it wasn't going to work out for my purposes" or "it didn't have the features that I need" or "I found one that I liked better". :-)

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: March 17, 2023, 03:07:32 PM »
My guess is that by nature, a vacuum is different. If you have, say, a television or a keyboard, and you use it a few times, it's still as good as new. If you have a vacuum and use it even once, it's now dirty and difficult to return to "new" condition. That's my guess. Of course, it's altogether possible that you just ended up with a claims adjuster who was in a bad mood that day. My advice would be to avoid making it obvious that you used something, because that can always lead them to believe that it's not in "new" condition. Next time just try something like "it wasn't going to work out for my purposes" or "it didn't have the features that I need" or "I found one that I liked better". :-)
My go to is "changed my mind"
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: March 18, 2023, 08:42:59 PM »
Can I file an RP claim on a closed account?

Offline 6girls

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: March 18, 2023, 09:16:23 PM »
Can I file an RP claim on a closed account?
Yes. If you have active Amex accounts in good standing.

Offline STL EQUITIES

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: March 19, 2023, 07:13:06 PM »
Anyone ever get a message that you should call for further evaluation of your claim? What does it mean?

Offline 6girls

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: March 19, 2023, 07:18:43 PM »
Anyone ever get a message that you should call for further evaluation of your claim? What does it mean?
Sure. Usually they just want to know why you want to return the item or the condition etc