Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of Whatís Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1224301 times)

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #4480 on: March 08, 2024, 03:59:30 PM »
Why didn't they just ask you to take a photo of the item in front of a newspaper with a date from after the date that you received the refund for the other $10 item?

Haha, given the association of this technique with kidnapping victims, I couldn't help but laugh at this being discussed in the context of a $10 return protection claim

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: March 09, 2024, 07:33:52 PM »
You can still respond to them with this info.
Yep I'm aware, just need to write a letter and upload. Might need to call also and have it officially reopened.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: March 09, 2024, 07:34:18 PM »
You can certainly pursue this further, but for $10 it seems too much hassle.
That's pretty much what it came down too why I haven't done it yet
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: March 09, 2024, 11:13:36 PM »
Yep I'm aware, just need to write a letter and upload. Might need to call also and have it officially reopened.
You do not need to call in, once you respond it automatically reopens. But if itís worth the hassle, thatís up to you but I would also consider what @jl75  wrote about, and try not to be on the black list and clear this one with them.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: March 09, 2024, 11:14:16 PM »
You do not need to call in, once you respond it automatically reopens. But if itís worth the hassle, thatís up to you but I would also consider what @jl75  wrote about, and try not to be on the black list and clear this one with them.
Of it doesn't need a phone call then I might as well. Thanks
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: March 11, 2024, 07:29:43 PM »
Does return protection cover the restocking fee from Dell, or am I better off missing the return window?

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4486 on: March 11, 2024, 08:32:45 PM »
Does return protection cover the restocking fee from Dell, or am I better off missing the return window?
I had it cover a restocking fee somewhere else (a few years ago)
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: March 12, 2024, 10:20:36 AM »

Not sure if you've ever done a claim before, but just in case you haven't:

On the fourth screen (1st is selecting card & purchase date, 2nd is selecting benefit which is "Return Protection", 3rd is agreeing to terms), just past "Date of Incident" and "Date of Return Attempt", there's a box that says "Select reason for your claim", which gives you two options: "Restocking fee" and "Returned product not accepted at retailer". So, that's how you would submit a claim for a restocking fee, and since they clearly do cover restocking fees, as others have noted on this board, I can't see why they would treat purchases from Dell any differently.

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: March 12, 2024, 10:59:13 AM »
My concern would be that after sending them a negative reply like that, that they'd use that against you for future claims (in other words, that you might be calling unwanted attention to yourself and end up with unwanted scrutiny for future claims). That was my same concern when people were posting about having to do video calls and recite their SSN number out loud during the call...I'd probably be one to tell them "no" and that they're being unreasonable, but I'd do so knowing that they might declare me persona-non-grata for Return Protection. Oh, and yes, it's really ridiculous that they put you through all of that for a $10 claim. Why didn't they just ask you to take a photo of the item in front of a newspaper with a date from after the date that you received the refund for the other $10 item? Or simply ask for a screenshot of the order page for both the $10 item that you returned and the other $10 item that you didn't return. Or, God forbid, just ask you to submit the item to them? It seems like instead of making common-sense requests, they're taking the totally hands-off approach, probably--like someone else noted above--just trying to make things hard for us now in the hopes that we'll just give up instead of following through on the process. Anyhow, thanks for the update, and I hope that they won't give you problems with your future claims after denying this one.

Wait, what? When were people required to do video calls for return protection?

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: March 12, 2024, 11:02:03 AM »
So something similar is happening to me. I have about four recent claims that I have not heard back about in several weeks. I called to ask what the issue was but they simply said they were still reviewing the claims. Then, last Thursday, I received a call saying they wanted to have a "recorded statement from me" regarding my recent claims. I called back, thinking I would be able to just speak to them, record my statement, and be done with it. They instead said they needed to call me back the next day to make an "appointment" with me for either a video call or to come to my house. They didn't call on Friday like they said they would (still don't understand why the person I spoke to just couldn't interview me on the spot!).  The truth is this level of scrutiny is annoying and makes me want to terminate my relationship with Amex. These are legitimate claims for items that are under $50 each and I've submitted the receipts. Happy to send pictures or send the items back, too. But a video call, let alone a house visit? Maybe if were talking about claims worth thousands of dollars, but not this! You would think they would have a better use of their resources! Interested in knowing if others have gone through this level of scrutiny!

Itís because you have 4 claims outstanding at once. Itís a red flag. Iím guessing an insurance investigator from G4S is the one who contacted you?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: March 12, 2024, 11:18:51 AM »
Itís because you have 4 claims outstanding at once. Itís a red flag. Iím guessing an insurance investigator from G4S is the one who contacted you?
definitely not the case.
I've had 5 or more open at once and never had this
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: March 14, 2024, 11:21:00 AM »
So i think i know why they asked for this. They ended up denying the claim saying i already got a credit for that amount so i returned it. It was a small item for like $10 or so and i had returned another item also $10 so the refund was the same. They were asking to provide proof that the refund was for a different item. I had sent a letter saying it was an unreasonable request so they denied it. If they had been clear that they saw a refund in the claimed amount and want to confirm the item was not returned (even though the screenshot showed the order was not) and that they want to see what the returned item was i would have done that.
Lesson learned.
Final update. I sent in a letter with screenshots of the other rite I returned and for the second claim thst had 3 returns of identical amounts I also provided screenshots.

I got a call Tuesday from them but I was getting in elevator and asked them to call me back in ten minutes. They did not but this morning I got the letter that both claims were paid.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline idkmybffjill

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: March 14, 2024, 12:39:47 PM »
definitely not the case.
I've had 5 or more open at once and never had this

Well, then something fishy caught their attention. They only take steps like this if they suspect you of committing fraud.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: April 04, 2024, 08:21:07 AM »
Just to share the data point since I know that people have asked about this in the past, and while others have shared their experiences, this is the first time that I've been in this situation. I had an item that I purchased on a card which I've since closed, so I wasn't sure if I was going to get denied (although others of course have said that it should still work). Anyhow, I submitted the documents last week, and I just received the letter (via e-mail) that my claim was approved. I checked my online account, and the reimbursement has already been posted on the cancelled card (cancelled it in February), so now I just need to chat with them and ask them to transfer the credit balance to an account that's still open. Anyhow, just wanted to share this!

Offline merlin008

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: April 04, 2024, 10:59:53 AM »
First time using it, returned a baby car seat.
Submitted online and was approved after a few days.
Was not asked to return the car seat and was credited with the money

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: April 05, 2024, 12:19:43 PM »
My recent RP required to submit documentation for when the item was delivered. Very easy to provide, but was the first time being asked to provide this. This was requested after I submitted itemized receipt and completed form of course.

Offline jl75

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: April 05, 2024, 12:37:09 PM »
My recent RP required to submit documentation for when the item was delivered. Very easy to provide, but was the first time being asked to provide this. This was requested after I submitted itemized receipt and completed form of course.

Yeah, they've asked me for that every time I've submitted a claim since they (apparently) started getting stricter a few months ago. It's "very easy to provide" except when a seller (on eBay) doesn't upload the tracking number, and then you throw away the box the item was shipped in, not expecting that it would be an issue. I sent AmEx Assurance a letter asking them to contact the seller, but AmEx wrote back asking me to call them instead...which I haven't done yet since I've been busy (it's been a couple of weeks now, though). They had already asked me for photos of everything, too, which I had already sent them.

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: April 05, 2024, 12:43:28 PM »
Yeah, they've asked me for that every time I've submitted a claim since they (apparently) started getting stricter a few months ago. It's "very easy to provide" except when a seller (on eBay) doesn't upload the tracking number, and then you throw away the box the item was shipped in, not expecting that it would be an issue. I sent AmEx Assurance a letter asking them to contact the seller, but AmEx wrote back asking me to call them instead...which I haven't done yet since I've been busy (it's been a couple of weeks now, though). They had already asked me for photos of everything, too, which I had already sent them.

Itís a good tactic for them imo. Add more friction and barriers, the person who submits the claim will forget or fizzle out of energy to care about the claim. I think there definitely is a psychological aspect to it too, since the money you ďlostĒ few weeks to months ago becomes normalized (depending on the amount obviously). Thatís why the whole ďGirl MathĒ discourse on social media makes sense.

Offline petun

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: April 06, 2024, 08:56:12 AM »
Yes, it sounds like it. Once you've provided a receipt, pictures, proof of no return, etc. why is a tracking number necessary? It's fine if they ask for proof, but once they have it, they ought to stop with the nonsense, especially if the tracking number is not possible to obtain. What's next? If you buy an item at a store are they going to ask you for proof you were in the store and the cashier handed you the item and you took it home with you?

Offline kickballrubber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: April 06, 2024, 09:14:31 AM »
Yes, it sounds like it. Once you've provided a receipt, pictures, proof of no return, etc. why is a tracking number necessary? It's fine if they ask for proof, but once they have it, they ought to stop with the nonsense, especially if the tracking number is not possible to obtain. What's next? If you buy an item at a store are they going to ask you for proof you were in the store and the cashier handed you the item and you took it home with you?

Name of the cashier, cashierís statement, and their signature too please 🤓