Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1158245 times)

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #560 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
Is there any difference between AMEX cards on the return protection?
I want to but the Nexus 4 now and want to have the best protection possible, I have BGR, Green, SPG and SPG BIZ, and Blue cash.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 29, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »
Nyc traffic. :)
Why should you be able to dispute the charge? You didn't show up on time. Why should you be refunded?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 29, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
Why should you be able to dispute the charge? You didn't show up on time. Why should you be refunded?

You're right I don't have a very good reason. It's just that they have a no refund policy, which is ridiculous for a big business like this. Usually they charge a cancellation fee or something, but here they told me over the phone when I realized I wasn't gonna make it before the cruise departed that they will not give me any money back. This is not common for large companies. And a little ridiculous in my opinion.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 29, 2013, 11:55:52 PM »
You're right I don't have a very good reason. It's just that they have a no refund policy, which is ridiculous for a big business like this. Usually they charge a cancellation fee or something, but here they told me over the phone when I realized I wasn't gonna make it before the cruise departed that they will not give me any money back. This is not common for large companies. And a little ridiculous in my opinion.
They couldn't sell your seat because you had booked it. Actually, the way I see it they are being very generous to allow you to rebook.
Every airline runs the same way. Every sports team. What large company would give you a refund in a similar situation?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dudeguy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 30, 2013, 12:09:02 AM »
They couldn't sell your seat because you had booked it. Actually, the way I see it they are being very generous to allow you to rebook.
Every airline runs the same way. Every sports team. What large company would give you a refund in a similar situation?

I understand. The reason I was asking is bec Dan mentioned he was able to use Amex's return protection to return some clothes that didn't work out when the company had no return policy....

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 01, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
In middle of the process for a Barney's warehouse return cuz Barney's doesn't accept any returns on ware house items. So far I had to fax the receipt and it looks like their gonna send me a shipping label to send back the stuff. I'll update once it happens. ( wonder what Amex does with the stuff though)

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #566 on: September 01, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
In middle of the process for a Barney's warehouse return cuz Barney's doesn't accept any returns on ware house items. So far I had to fax the receipt and it looks like their gonna send me a shipping label to send back the stuff. I'll update once it happens. ( wonder what Amex does with the stuff though)
Auction? Sell in bulk?

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #567 on: September 01, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »
Bought a pair of Sunglasses from Zenni Optical, it doesn't look anything like the website descriptionm I went ahead and disputed charge and lost the dispute I redisputed. Question, is it better to drop the dispute and use the return protection?

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
Bought a pair of Sunglasses from Zenni Optical, it doesn't look anything like the website descriptionm I went ahead and disputed charge and lost the dispute I redisputed. Question, is it better to drop the dispute and use the return protection?
I feel like I rather dispute first if merchant is at fault,  as i dont want to use up my Amex privileges.

Offline A European

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 02, 2013, 07:32:31 AM »
Online shoe store.
42$
Got it over night.
No receipt needed.

Offline dsw193

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 02, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
SodaStream $86 got it in two hours no questions asked.

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 02, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
I bought an electronic in Wal-Mart with my spg card more than 15 days ago and its over $300 if I use return protection will they refund me just the $300 or the total price? And if only $300 will they make me send them the item?

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 02, 2013, 04:47:36 PM »

I bought an electronic in Wal-Mart with my spg card more than 15 days ago and its over $300 if I use return protection will they refund me just the $300 or the total price? And if only $300 will they make me send them the item?
+1 I had the same question about my iPad.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #573 on: September 02, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
If WM doesn't take returns, they'll refund only $300, and most likely ask you to send in the item.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 02, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »

If WM doesn't take returns, they'll refund only $300, and most likely ask you to send in the item.
Thats not fair if I paid $500, do you have basis for that?

Offline DP7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:54 PM »

Yes, the terms only cover items up to $300.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #576 on: September 02, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »

Not fair?

They don't even have to offer this in the first place. Be happy you're potentially getting back $300.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 02, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »

Not fair?

They don't even have to offer this in the first place. Be happy you're potentially getting back $300.
This is their policy and was wondering how it works don't tell me be happy. I was saying its not fair so I can't imagine that's how it'll work.

Offline sammy n

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 02, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »
The question was more on how he knows that I'll have to return the item.....

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 02, 2013, 05:18:21 PM »

That much I know was wondering since I paid more then $300 would they refund $300 and let me keep the item.