Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157889 times)

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #840 on: January 09, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
But the loss didn't happen under their warranty.
Got them to change the date.

The guy was initially telling me to just guess, so I did just that.

I now looked up when my last picture was taken, and indeed it was after the manufacture's warranty ended.

Offline ice man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 09, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
Just called them about something I bought from H and M. Didnt want the item anymore..past the 30 day return policy.
They refunded me the money, and let me keep the item

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 09, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
I bought something online for $30 with 60 day return policy. after 30 days i decided i didnt want it anymore, filed return protection got, credited back a couple days later. ;D
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline eve

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the Amex gold business card is an eligible card for the return protection guarantee??

Offline eve

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 09, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
Thanks!!

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #845 on: January 09, 2014, 05:04:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the Amex gold business card is an eligible card for the return protection guarantee??
Yes
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline CardNewbie

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 12, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Hello -

I bought an XBox One on early December online using my Amex Blue. I paid $720 (to insure i got one). Later, I found one at the normal price of $499 and bought it. I messed around and neglected to request an RMA on the $720 one within 30 days of purchase. (It was like 36 days or something!!) I emailed the seller and asked for an RMA, and they said no.

The whole time I thought I was covered for up to $1k, and only now do I find out I am limited to $300 per item. :-[ Could Amex help me talk some sense into this seller?

Else, while I know the unit is covered under the Microsoft warranty, if it were damaged due to my daughter sticking peanut butter in the CD slot, Microsoft would not cover that under their warranty. Would purchase protection cover the full $720?

Also, as a bonus question, are there any good ways to make the Seller regret being a jerk?

Thanks!

Offline rynocity

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 12, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

Also, as a bonus question, are there any good ways to make the Seller regret being a jerk?

Thanks!
How is the seller being a jerk?  They stated their return policy and you didn't make it in time.

Offline CardNewbie

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 12, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »
I think it is a bit stringent to hold tight to 30 days with Christmas in between.

Thanks for asking, and for your helpful advice.

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 13, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »
Hello -

I bought an XBox One on early December online using my Amex Blue. I paid $720 (to insure i got one). Later, I found one at the normal price of $499 and bought it. I messed around and neglected to request an RMA on the $720 one within 30 days of purchase. (It was like 36 days or something!!) I emailed the seller and asked for an RMA, and they said no.

The whole time I thought I was covered for up to $1k, and only now do I find out I am limited to $300 per item. :-[ Could Amex help me talk some sense into this seller?

Else, while I know the unit is covered under the Microsoft warranty, if it were damaged due to my daughter sticking peanut butter in the CD slot, Microsoft would not cover that under their warranty. Would purchase protection cover the full $720?

Thanks!

you call him a jerk because you paid to much the first time --HMMMMM wonder who is the jerk and now you want to punish him , think your values are out of order and in need of repair

I guess you were never in business, if stores to do  not adhere to t/c( 30 days is very fair ) -- customers( like you ) will always -- need more time and and ask for an extension no matter how long the policy is  ---  a  customer like you does not care who pays him for his own errors and  is  now "thinking about " screwing someone by putting  "peanut butter"  in the CD -- who taught you all these fine ways 

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »
You bought their product during the prime time for them to sell. Now you want to give it back after their stated policy when they can only sell it for 60% of what they sold it to you at. And they are being jerks?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline CardNewbie

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »
who taught you all these fine ways

Coincidentally, I learned these ways from this forum.

Ha ha - this thread is cracking me up! Seriously, I laughed out loud at the replies - I'm not joking! It is all about people who want to report that they couldn't return something so that they can keep it AND keep their money. But somehow the idea that I want to actually return something after 36 days over the christmas holidays is some sort of moral turpitude?

I don't want to cause the guy physical harm! I'm thinking order a bunch more stuff and return it on day 30 or . . whatever. I'm not allowed to be pissed off about this? You people are strange to me. I'll deal with my loss of a couple hundred bucks.

Please carry on with your discussions of how to avoid sending back items under the Return Protection, which certainly has no moral ambiguity.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
Deleted

Online noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »
Coincidentally, I learned these ways from this forum.

Ha ha - this thread is cracking me up! Seriously, I laughed out loud at the replies - I'm not joking! It is all about people who want to report that they couldn't return something so that they can keep it AND keep their money. But somehow the idea that I want to actually return something after 36 days over the christmas holidays is some sort of moral turpitude?

I don't want to cause the guy physical harm! I'm thinking order a bunch more stuff and return it on day 30 or . . whatever. I'm not allowed to be pissed off about this? You people are strange to me. I'll deal with my loss of a couple hundred bucks.

Please carry on with your discussions of how to avoid sending back items under the Return Protection, which certainly has no moral ambiguity.
nobody is doing anything against policy or claiming it is wrong if amex asks for it back. You however are saying the guy is a item because he won't change his clearly stated return policy because you got lazy. Go to best buy after 30 days and try to get a a full refund in cash, without a receipt. Same issue. You can't expect a change in policy simply because it benefits you.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CardNewbie

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:01 PM »
nobody is doing anything against policy or claiming it is wrong if amex asks for it back. You however are saying the guy is a item because he won't change his clearly stated return policy because you got lazy. Go to best buy after 30 days and try to get a a full refund in cash, without a receipt. Same issue. You can't expect a change in policy simply because it benefits you.

I get 45 days at Best Buy as a Silver Rewards member, but I'm certain that was not your point. Let's play that out: I go in on day 36 with an unopened box and ask for a return, they say no and I ask for the manager. I explain that I'm really sorry but somehow time got away from me (because of Christmas and New year's) and I didn't get my return back in time but the item is in brand new, unopened condition and would she or he please consider allowing the return.

Of course they don't have to, but places that want repeat and loyal customers will make this decision. So, if that guy says no, it is my opinion that he is a jerk. Am I not entitled to that opinion on this forum?

Let's save a step: You say "He's not a jerk, he's doing his job and is doing exactly what the T/C's say to do. Instead, sir, you are the jerk." Ok - got it.

But if the T/C's are the guide by which all decisions should be made, then wouldn't I as a customer be completely un-jerk-ish if I bought ten more Xbox One's, took them home, opened them, unwound each and every cord so that it was obviously opened, then re-packed all of that stuff and returned all ten to the store for a full refund on Day 15? That is fully allowed under the T/C's. It is not against policy. They shouldn't expect me to stop just because it doesn't benefit them.

I just realized that this thread has crept pretty far from the subject. I see I will no help here. And it is also my opinion that anyone on here trying to convince themselves that the main topic of this thread is ok because it is allowed by the T/C's is not thinking hard enough. It seems opinions are not welcome here. I'm out - how does one un-join a forum?  ::)

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 14, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »
BYE BYE--COME VISIT ANYTIME  :)

Offline nikcan2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 16, 2014, 08:34:26 PM »
Just did a claim and for the first time ever, I am being asked to fax documentation and send in the $12 item.  I have done probably 4 other claims in the last two months on my amex plat and wasnt asked to send anything in.  Its kind of weird/odd that I am being asked to do it for this cheaper item when I havent for items that cost $50.  Just thought I would share since most people dont seem to have been asked to send in things that cost less than $100.  Wonder if its a random thing they do every so often or maybe since I have done a higher amount of claims the past two months, that flagged it?  I dont mind - just curious as to what the rhyme or reason is behind it...

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #857 on: January 16, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
Is it even worth it to send in? You have to pay for shipping...

Offline udip3146

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 16, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
Just did a claim and for the first time ever, I am being asked to fax documentation and send in the $12 item.  I have done probably 4 other claims in the last two months on my amex plat and wasnt asked to send anything in.  Its kind of weird/odd that I am being asked to do it for this cheaper item when I havent for items that cost $50.  Just thought I would share since most people dont seem to have been asked to send in things that cost less than $100.  Wonder if its a random thing they do every so often or maybe since I have done a higher amount of claims the past two months, that flagged it?  I dont mind - just curious as to what the rhyme or reason is behind it...
When they see a pattern of claims, they make it harder for you. Take a break.

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 16, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »
not against policy. They shouldn't expect me to stop just because it doesn't benefit them.

I just realized that this thread has crept pretty far from the subject. I see I will no help here. And it is also my opinion that anyone on here trying to convince themselves that the main topic of this thread is ok because it is allowed by the T/C's is not thinking hard enough. It seems opinions are not welcome here. I'm out - how does one un-join a forum? ::)