Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157868 times)

Offline joey123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #1120 on: July 01, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »
Besides for the 1k limit are there any other measures they take to prevent abuse?

If they start seeing suspicious activity, they will ask for more receipts, and may even start asking you to return the items.
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #1121 on: July 02, 2014, 04:28:26 AM »
I just filled for an item which the buyer claimed was new, but was used. It was $248. What do you think of my chances of winning, and keeping the item?
I first filed with Amex because if I win chances are I will be able to keep the item. If filing with Amex doesn't work, I still have the right to file with ebay.
So you disputed, you didn't file and of these claims.
Correct. My guess is that they will let me keep the it because who will they return it too?
Dispute is a whole different ball game. I never heard of anyone having to send back to Amex by a dispute.
Okay. I did return protection policy. I will let you all know what happens.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find this really disturbing?

Offline incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 02, 2014, 05:08:14 AM »

Not just you

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 02, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »

What do you find disturbing? I am not abusing their policy at all. I am just hoping that they won't make me return the item. I don't know why you see something wrong with that. Moreover, I am acutely aware of what is moral and don't do the PGGM because I think it's unethical. Please explain what is wrong with buying an item, which wasn't as described, and filing a complaint with Amex. This is precisely the intent of the Amex policy and as an Amex card holder I am taking full advantage. When I bought the item, I intended and still intend to pay the $238; however, if Amex credits the money, and doesn't ask me to send it back, I am also fine with that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:59:45 AM by joey123 »
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline rotenym

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 02, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
I have a question, a little off topic but I think here's the best place to ask, my friend told me that he bought a gas weed eater on Amazon and something was wrong with it and wanted to return it.. they asked if he put in gas so he replied, yes.. so they told him to keep it because once he put in gas you can't ship it... so my question is, if anybody had this experience? also, is this a policy at Amex as well?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #1125 on: July 02, 2014, 10:24:52 PM »
I have a question, a little off topic but I think here's the best place to ask, my friend told me that he bought a gas weed eater on Amazon and something was wrong with it and wanted to return it.. they asked if he put in gas so he replied, yes.. so they told him to keep it because once he put in gas you can't ship it... so my question is, if anybody had this experience? also, is this a policy at Amex as well?
I once had that with a shaver from Amazon that broke, still worked but small thing broke. Amazon said that I should keep it because they can't accept returns on shavers, and they sent me a new one.

Offline rotenym

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 03, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »
I once had that with a shaver from Amazon that broke, still worked but small thing broke. Amazon said that I should keep it because they can't accept returns on shavers, and they sent me a new one.
okay, then maybe we start making a list of confirmed items which Amazon or even Amex won't accept returns due to one reason or another... 

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #1127 on: July 03, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »
okay, then maybe we start making a list of confirmed items which Amazon or even Amex won't accept returns due to one reason or another...

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1128 on: July 03, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
Maybe not?

Offline joey123

• View Profile

Offline rotenym

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Online mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 04, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
I have a vacuum I purchased like 10 weeks ago for 89$ and its not doing the job well what route should I take, PURCHASE PROTECTION or RETURN PROTECTION?

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 04, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »
I have a vacuum I purchased like 10 weeks ago for 89$ and its not doing the job well what route should I take, PURCHASE PROTECTION or RETURN PROTECTION?

Return protection must be within 90 days, IIRC.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 04, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Return protection must be within 90 days, IIRC.
Right you are

Offline geewitz71

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 06, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »

Neither of them.. Warranty path with the manufacturer is the way to go. For return protection - The item must be in new / like new condition. Purchase protection is only for stolen cases or accidental damage. 

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 06, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
Do more expensive "return protections" take much longer, than ones that are filed for cheaper items. It's been over a week, and I still haven't heard back from them.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1136 on: July 06, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
Do more expensive "return protections" take much longer, than ones that are filed for cheaper items. It's been over a week, and I still haven't heard back from them.
It can take time.

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 07, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
I had bought a lawnmower online for $250 or so, tried to return it but by mistake wrote in the comments section that it wasn't working well though I meant to say it wasn't working well for my needs in my house. It's still in new condition, box was open but that's it. Amex said because it wasn't in new or like new condition, I can't send it back. I appealed it saying I didn't explain it well and it was in new condition and they would see that when I sent it back in, but they said once I wrote something, I couldn't change what I wrote, even if I meant something else. Any ideas about anything else I can do here. Worse comes to worse I'll just keep it and hope for the best, but it annoys me that they're wiggling out of this due to a couple words I wrote wrong, which I was quick to explain in a letter. Obviously they would see that the item was new when they got it back in the mail, I even wrote to them that they were free to reject the claim if they saw it wasn't.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 07, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
Have you used RP many times before this?

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 07, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
Couple times, but not excessive. Why would that matter? It was my first return over $100.