Topic Wiki

[Updated With More Changes] Major Changes Are Coming For American Express Benefits! Master Chart Of What’s Being Added And Removed - https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/major-changes-coming-american-express-benefits-master-chart-whats-added-removed/

$300 per item, 1K per card per year. So if you have an SPG card and a PRG card you'll only have 2k of total RP coverage, regardless of how many AUs you have on each card.

If you are unsure if an item qualifies for RP, then instead of asking for opinions here (slightly better than asking medical advice on facebook mind you), PUTPAC and ask the RP reps. You don't need to give your name or card info, just say you have an item or you will be buying an item and the store has a crappy return policy and want to make sure if there is a problem you can return it.

Direct number: 800-225-3750

Link to Claims Center: https://online.americanexpress.com/myca/onlineclaims/us/onlineclaims.do?request_type=authreg_onlineclaims&intlink=us-ser-onlineclaims-welcome-claimscenter
or
Return Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/return This is for when, in the first 3 months, the original seller won't accept a return, and the product is still in new condition.
Purchase Protection:  www.americanexpress.com/purchase This is for when, in the first 3 months, a purchase is lost, stolen, or broken.
Extended Warranty: www.americanexpress.com/warranty This covers only what the original warranty covers and extends it for up to 1 year.

Amex can approve RP claims even after the card is closed/cancelled, though YMMV.

CLICK HERE to see the full T&C for the Return Protection on your specific Amex card.

Author Topic: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?  (Read 1157820 times)

Offline hollawood24

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Return Protection: Did They Make You Return The Item?
« Reply #1160 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37:29 AM »
I guess I'll share my recent Amex Protection story. I purchased a pair of sneakers from an online site and the guy promised they were 100% authentic. I was pretty sure they were authentic for $275 and i had also been communicating with the person, but i put it on Amex just in case. First of all, it took over 3 weeks for the sneakers to come and then after comparing them to a similar sneaker i determined they were not authentic. I tried contacting the guy for a refund, but he said absolutely not. My next move was to sell them, but since they were replicas i wouldn't get as much as i paid for them. Last resort was to report it to Amex. Contacted them and submitted a claim saying that i purchased these under the impression that they were real and the person refused to give me a refund. It took a few weeks, but then they refunded it. BUT, the merchant responds by saying this person did not contact me for a refund and i believe he is trying to scam me. Amex reversed it. I immediately called them back and said i want to submit another claim, because that's not true. Ultimately after a few more weeks Amex refunded me the full amount and although they did ask me if i still had the sneakers, they never asked me to return them. I recently sold them for a few hundred bucks, because i was able to get an authentic pair. Amex really does come through as long as you're as thorough as possible. ;D 8)

Offline joey123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #1161 on: July 18, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »
I guess I'll share my recent Amex Protection story. I purchased a pair of sneakers from an online site and the guy promised they were 100% authentic. I was pretty sure they were authentic for $275 and i had also been communicating with the person, but i put it on Amex just in case. First of all, it took over 3 weeks for the sneakers to come and then after comparing them to a similar sneaker i determined they were not authentic. I tried contacting the guy for a refund, but he said absolutely not. My next move was to sell them, but since they were replicas i wouldn't get as much as i paid for them. Last resort was to report it to Amex. Contacted them and submitted a claim saying that i purchased these under the impression that they were real and the person refused to give me a refund. It took a few weeks, but then they refunded it. BUT, the merchant responds by saying this person did not contact me for a refund and i believe he is trying to scam me. Amex reversed it. I immediately called them back and said i want to submit another claim, because that's not true. Ultimately after a few more weeks Amex refunded me the full amount and although they did ask me if i still had the sneakers, they never asked me to return them. I recently sold them for a few hundred bucks, because i was able to get an authentic pair. Amex really does come through as long as you're as thorough as possible. ;D 8)

Nice anecdote. Amex is certainly the way to go!
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 21, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
Correct. Not done any more this year. Total claims not even exceeded $200 on this card.

Did they let you keep this latest item? As long as you didn't return over $1,000 on the card, not sure how they could not accept the items back as it's a benefit of the card. They just wouldn't let you keep the items.

Offline EliteMavin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Delta silver medallion, Hilton Gold
« Reply #1163 on: July 21, 2014, 08:49:45 PM »
Did they let you keep this latest item? As long as you didn't return over $1,000 on the card, not sure how they could not accept the items back as it's a benefit of the card. They just wouldn't let you keep the items.
Didn't read the discussion here, but will weigh in on the master topic.
I submitted a claim in the SPG amex for a pair of mattress that I bought as part of a high-riser set, which I did not like. Amex refunded $200+ which was the cost of the mattresses, and did not request the items...

Offline geewitz71

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »
Didn't read the discussion here, but will weigh in on the master topic.
I submitted a claim in the SPG amex for a pair of mattress that I bought as part of a high-riser set, which I did not like. Amex refunded $200+ which was the cost of the mattresses, and did not request the items...

Good. Did you see the following wording on the letter received from Amex?

Please be advised that there may be an applicable statute of limitations that may bar your rights
in the future. Please refer to your Certificate/Description of Coverage for details.

Offline geewitz71

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »

Yes. They didn't ask me to send back the item

Offline taekcool

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 31, 2014, 04:11:22 AM »
Good. Did you see the following wording on the letter received from Amex?

Please be advised that there may be an applicable statute of limitations that may bar your rights
in the future. Please refer to your Certificate/Description of Coverage for details.

I just got the letter from Amex (extended warranty) and I got the exact same wording in the last paragraph of the letter which was also fonted slightly bigger than the other paragraphs. I checked a couple older claim emails and I didn't see this. It's very unpleasant. Anyone else getting the same wording?

We appreciate your interest in the program and hope you wil continue to take advantage of this benefit. If you
have questions, please cal your Extended Waranty Claims Department at (800) 225-3750.

Any person who knowingly, and with intent to defraud or deceive any insurance company, files
a statement containing any false, incomplete or misleading information is guilty of a felony.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:17:38 AM by taekcool »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1167 on: August 07, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
It's only unpleasant if what you're doing is not 100% kosher.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 07, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
It's only unpleasant if what you're doing is not 100% kosher.

+1

Do what is right, and you will sleep well at night, and go to the grave without any regrets. Sorry for being so morbid, but I am the resident mashgiach ;)

To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 07, 2014, 05:32:22 PM »
+1

Do what is right, and you will sleep well at night, and go to the grave without any regrets. Sorry for being so morbid, but I am the resident mashgiach ;)
amex didnt make me return my Cole Haan shoe purchase. $70 per pair (2 pairs for $140 total)

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: August 11, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »
After sbmitting 5 lower end claims yesterday---each under 50. They asked me to submit itemized reciepts. Has anyone had this before? Are they going to make me return the item, or the two are unrelated?

TIA

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 11, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
After sbmitting 5 lower end claims yesterday---each under 50. They asked me to submit itemized reciepts. Has anyone had this before? Are they going to make me return the item, or the two are unrelated?

TIA
They may still let you keep the item even with having to send in a receipt.  There's no way of knowing.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 11, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
They may still let you keep the item even with having to send in a receipt.  There's no way of knowing.

Okay, thanks for answering the question. I just wanted to confirm that the two were mutually exclusive. THanks

Offline bzam99

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »

TIA
It's happened to me as well. I think you must get flagged in the system if you make too many small claims. I didnt have receipts so eventually the claims were closed. But I dont think they will make you return it, just asking for additional support. Please post what happens. Thanks.

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 11, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »

TIA
they one time asked me for the receipt and before i had a chance to even send it in, they processed the claim. So if you can't find the receipt, hope for the best!

Offline joey123

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 11, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »
they one time asked me for the receipt and before i had a chance to even send it in, they processed the claim. So if you can't find the receipt, hope for the best!

It was an online order, so it won't be a problem.

Offline market

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 21, 2014, 05:34:26 PM »
I have a mixer that carries a 3 year manufacturers warranty I sent it back to the company 3 times and the problem is not fixed, they refuse to send a new one and make me pay to ship it there and back every time unless I put up a fight. The question is it's a few months short of 3 years, I called Amex they said they can try to submit a claim and see if the (underwriter?) will let it go through. If it is declined will I be able to try after 3 years again (they couldn't answer)?

TIA

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 21, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
I have a mixer that carries a 3 year manufacturers warranty I sent it back to the company 3 times and the problem is not fixed, they refuse to send a new one and make me pay to ship it there and back every time unless I put up a fight. The question is it's a few months short of 3 years, I called Amex they said they can try to submit a claim and see if the (underwriter?) will let it go through. If it is declined will I be able to try after 3 years again (they couldn't answer)?

TIA

I'd imagine you would be able to after the 3 years, yes.
Meanwhile that's warranty protection, not return protection.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline market

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 21, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »
I'd imagine you would be able to after the 3 years, yes.
Meanwhile that's warranty protection, not return protection.

Should I make a claim with Amex today before manufacturers warranty is up or am I wasting my time?

I posted here because I saw plenty of posts about warrant protection

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 21, 2014, 11:24:58 PM »

TIA
Any update yet?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!