Author Topic: Smart homes  (Read 92116 times)

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Smart homes
« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2021, 06:13:32 AM »
Which smart thermostat doesn't have any issues?

@Dan  seemed to say in his article that Honeywell has no issues, but I’m not sure if that was just that specific one…

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2021, 08:24:13 AM »
@Dan  seemed to say in his article that Honeywell has no issues, but I’m not sure if that was just that specific one…

I've had Honeywell T9 for 2.5 yrs. No Shabbos issues - you can turn off smart occupancy (and geofencing). I personally never use either of those features so they remain off for me

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 09, 2021, 08:35:03 AM »
I've had Honeywell T9 for 2.5 yrs. No Shabbos issues - you can turn off smart occupancy (and geofencing). I personally never use either of those features so they remain off for me

Do you use the sensor as well? Is smart occupancy able to be turned off on it?

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 09, 2021, 08:39:17 AM »
I'll have to check if it can be turned off for sensors as well, i believe the answer is yes. I happen to have a sensor but you can choose which rooms the tstat bases temp readings and commands off of. e.g. I have the main tstat and then 1 sensor in my study but the tstat is set to only use the readings and change temperature based on the main tstats readings and not the sensor.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 09, 2021, 08:40:30 AM »
Do you use the sensor as well? Is smart occupancy able to be turned off on it?
I have an ecobee with sensors and I just turn the sensors around so they can't detect movement

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 09, 2021, 08:46:23 AM »
I'll have to check if it can be turned off for sensors as well, i believe the answer is yes. I happen to have a sensor but you can choose which rooms the tstat bases temp readings and commands off of. e.g. I have the main tstat and then 1 sensor in my study but the tstat is set to only use the readings and change temperature based on the main tstats readings and not the sensor.

So what do you use the sensor for?

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 09, 2021, 08:47:11 AM »
So what do you use the sensor for?

Not much truthfully, just as a reference to see temp difference between main floor and 3rd floor. I got it for free

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 09, 2021, 01:25:56 PM »

If no issues means you can turn off all the smartness of it, then your correct.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 09, 2021, 01:40:53 PM »
You can turn off the smart features just for Shabbos...

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 09, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
If no issues means you can turn off all the smartness of it, then your correct.

The Shabbat issue these thermostats have is sensing movement if that is something that can be turned off without really affecting the use of the thermostat or as I understand from other reviews - the display then that sounds like it has no Shabbat issues.

If @JM is able to use his sensor while turning off the motion detector aspect of it then @Dan  needs a serious update to his article because apparently the T9 has been out for at least 2.5 yrs & takes care of the one issue he had with the other Honeywell.

I’d love to hear your opinion on these thermostats as it sounds like you have what to share…

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
The Shabbat issue these thermostats have is sensing movement if that is something that can be turned off without really affecting the use of the thermostat or as I understand from other reviews - the display then that sounds like it has no Shabbat issues.

If @JM is able to use his sensor while turning off the motion detector aspect of it then @Dan  needs a serious update to his article because apparently the T9 has been out for at least 2.5 yrs & takes care of the one issue he had with the other Honeywell.

I’d love to hear your opinion on these thermostats as it sounds like you have what to share…

Ok, so I checked: Honeywell T9 has 2 ways of setting room temps with various sensors. 1) Selected Rooms 2) Active Rooms. When using selected rooms, you choose the sensors that you want the T-stat to base Heating/Cooling commands off of. You can choose just 1 sensor and it will just base temperature settings off of that or you can choose 2 sensors +and the T-stat will take an average temperature of those sensors (an average temp of the home) and heat/cool to that avg temp. With the Active Rooms setting, the rooms with detected motion are automatically selected to create an avg temperature in the home. When using selected rooms, there is no issue of sensors utilizing motion detection. I personally don't use geofencing as well. This is all accessible on the controller itself and in the app so if you were someone who wanted the active rooms and geofencing during the week, it's 2 seconds to change it for Shabbos.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
When using selected rooms, there is no issue of sensors utilizing motion detection.
Does the motion sensor stop detecting, or does it's detection not effect anything?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2021, 07:25:44 PM »
With any smart thermostat that isn't open source, it's very hard to know exactly what's going on. AYLOR but my understanding is, it's best not to have the motion sensor (or proximity sensor) be sensing anything at all, even if it doesn't trigger anything. Which is very hard to know unless you cover it with tape every week, not the smartest idea..

Amongst other projects one of my ideas is to make a Jewish Smart Thermostat. I'm working my way there, but that's another discussion.

Some project designs (based off the T9 yes ;))
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:30:07 PM by Yo ssi »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »
Does the motion sensor stop detecting, or does it's detection not effect anything?

With any smart thermostat that isn't open source, it's very hard to know exactly what's going on. AYLOR but my understanding is, it's best not to have the motion sensor (or proximity sensor) be sensing anything at all, even if it doesn't trigger anything. Which is very hard to know unless you cover it with tape every week, not the smartest idea..

Amongst other projects one of my ideas is to make a Jewish Smart Thermostat. I'm working my way there, but that's another discussion.

Some project designs (based off the T9 yes ;))

The Thermostat itself doesn't have a motion sensor in it, it's only the smart sensors that you can buy along with the main controller that have motion detection. I'm pretty sure that when using selected rooms that it doesn't do any motion detection. That would be a big waste of resources and battery drain on the sensors. It's a complete override of the motion sensor. It won't let me choose the Active rooms option when my tstat is set to vacation mode or away mode on the schedule, further convincing me that it doesn't do any sensing when not utilized. Definitely AYLOR but at the worse this is Psik Reisha D'Lo Nicha/D'Lo Ichpas Lei and many poskim hold that Holicha isn't a maaseh

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »
The Thermostat itself doesn't have a motion sensor in it, it's only the smart sensors that you can buy along with the main controller that have motion detection. I'm pretty sure that when using selected rooms that it doesn't do any motion detection. That would be a big waste of resources and battery drain on the sensors. It's a complete override of the motion sensor. It won't let me choose the Active rooms option when my tstat is set to vacation mode or away mode on the schedule, further convincing me that it doesn't do any sensing when not utilized. Definitely AYLOR but at the worse this is Psik Reisha D'Lo Nicha/D'Lo Ichpas Lei and many poskim hold that Holicha isn't a maaseh
There are some thermostats that have motion / proximity sensors on the main piece as well. Either way point still stands, I don't know of any good solution that allows you to use the smart features on a schedule or the like.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2021, 08:00:40 PM »
There are some thermostats that have motion / proximity sensors on the main piece as well. Either way point still stands, I don't know of any good solution that allows you to use the smart features on a schedule or the like.

I understand that many do but the T9 does not have motion/proximity sensors on the main piece, it's only the additional room sensors that do. Pretty much every review of the product mentions this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+t9+thermostat+have+motion+sensor&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS912US912&oq=does+t9+thermostat+have+motio&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33i160j33i299.4443j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
I understand that many do but the T9 does not have motion/proximity sensors on the main piece, it's only the additional room sensors that do. Pretty much every review of the product mentions this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+t9+thermostat+have+motion+sensor
Does that make it more smart or less? ;)
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline JM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »
Does that make it more smart or less? ;)

Usable for a frum yid ;)

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2021, 03:50:13 PM »
Any recommendations of smart switches?

What’s the pros & cons of ring or blink?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 18, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
What’s the pros & cons of ring or blink?
They make smart switches?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/