Author Topic: Smart homes  (Read 12193 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Smart homes
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »
Two thoughts for you:
- You *could* Disconnect the battery before shabbos and re-attach it after shabbos. It's an easy operation which you could do without tools, and it doesn't effect key operation.

- If you live in a house, you can take an alternative approach - put the smart lock on a side door or garage door that you're not likely to use on Shabbos (you're obviously not going to drive your car on shabbos).

I imagine that today's world in general poses a lot of halachic issues in the sense that we're being tracked and unaware. For example, AFAIK, a lot of hotels will give shomer shabbos people physical keys so they don't have to use the electronic ones, but I can't imagine that those aren't being tracked either. So if the issue is that turning a key is causing a computer to log your actions, you can't leave your room on shabbos.

... and if they have locks that use physical keys and don't log, you should buy one of them :)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Here is how easy it is: https://youtu.be/zpm6C16MM7k?t=1m15s

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
I don't have a smart lock, but am I wrong for thinking Sephardim would permit even if logs?
Live forever or die trying.

Online ushdadude

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »
If I need a door chime for my ring and dw does not want to use the ring chime itself, what do I need to look for? There is low voltage in the area so it can be wired
If you see something that is 50% off but don't need it, walk away and save yourself 100%

Online Definitions

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2018, 10:16:32 AM »
I don't have a smart lock, but am I wrong for thinking Sephardim would permit even if logs?
Why specifically sephardim?
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline TribeTechReview

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »
I write about the shabbos issue with smart locks (and other smart tech) on my blog at tribetechreview.wordpress.com.  I think all smart locks have issues with Shabbos but presented some options that can address some issues.

Offline TribeTechReview

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
In my latest column at Tribetechreview.wordpress.com I discuss keeping the Echo on on Shabbos.  I have NOT found a rav that permits this and from personal experience recommend against leaving it on regardless. feel free to comment here or on my blog.  With so many of Echos and Google Homes being sold, people need to be aware of the shabbos issues.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:22 PM »
I write about the shabbos issue with smart locks (and other smart tech) on my blog at tribetechreview.wordpress.com.  I think all smart locks have issues with Shabbos but presented some options that can address some issues.

Your original article was where some of the suggestions came from - namely putting the smart lock on an alternative door. Like you suggested in the article, the garage door  is a good option for most people - specifically because most people will not need to be opening their garages on shabbos.

But that begs the other question - do Hotel Locks log anytime the lock is opened - regardless if you've used a standard or an electronic key.

I assume that most shomer shabbos people will ask for a standard key in a hotel but if key turns are being logged, does it make a difference?

Offline emineh17

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2018, 12:03:24 AM »
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the motion sensing and auto away from the nest thermostat or something similar for shabbos via IFTT or Tasker?

I have one that I'm planning to install just wondering if I have to turn these features off every shabbos or there is some way that I can automate it.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2018, 12:13:47 AM »
In my latest column at Tribetechreview.wordpress.com I discuss keeping the Echo on on Shabbos.  I have NOT found a rav that permits this and from personal experience recommend against leaving it on regardless. feel free to comment here or on my blog.  With so many of Echos and Google Homes being sold, people need to be aware of the shabbos issues.
Read your review, and thank you. I have several of the schlage  FE595 locks, and my understanding from the engineering department over there is that when set to mechanical mode it is fully mechanical, and there is no logging of any sort. In your research does that make sense?

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the motion sensing and auto away from the nest thermostat or something similar for shabbos via IFTT or Tasker?

I have one that I'm planning to install just wondering if I have to turn these features off every shabbos or there is some way that I can automate it.
by motion sense do you mean the feature that lights up when you walk by the thermostat?

Offline emineh17

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »
by motion sense do you mean the feature that lights up when you walk by the thermostat?
No, that is simple to turn off and i dont need that on at all.
The home and away function which uses the motion sensor to detect if you are away.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »
Read your review, and thank you. I have several of the schlage  FE595 locks, and my understanding from the engineering department over there is that when set to mechanical mode it is fully mechanical, and there is no logging of any sort. In your research does that make sense?

The logging issue, AFAIK, is primarily for locks that are internet connected - i.e. those that you can open with your phone.

Online bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2018, 09:48:28 PM »
Any way to get an existing alarm to talk to smartthings without losing central monitoring? Currently have a NAPCO Gemini panel

Offline Entrepreneur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
Any recommendations for video intercom systems? Basically i have kids in different rooms and want to be able have them call through the system like face time. I would prefer wireless (like just plug in socket) but am open to wires systems if they are much better. Also, are there systems where you can make a WiFi call (WhatsApp or through the intercom app)?

Not sure if there are any other details needed for a recommendation.

Thanks!