Author Topic: Smart homes  (Read 89204 times)

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Smart homes
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experiences using smart home technology.

I'm currently looking into the nest thermostat, nucleus intercom together with ring for front door

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Smart homes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 10:33:29 AM »
Nest requires manually disabling the motion sensor every shabbos.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
true although I'd probably disable the motion sensor for good as it isn't the main feature for me

is there any other thermostat that doesn't have motion sensors,

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
just realized that the ring doorbell motion detector would also need to be disabled for shabbos

I'd love to hear from frum people that use smart technology in their homes, seems quite the headache, although potentially I could set an IFTTT recipe shutting down the entire system every shabbos

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
true although I'd probably disable the motion sensor for good as it isn't the main feature for me

Honeywell, (requires C wire) sensi

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
I have Ring and Nucleus in my home. It would be nice if the hooked up together... That would bring it to a new level!

What questions do you have?

I like both products and I'm sure they will only improve.

Ring - Needs to be close to the wifi to get good strength of service. I recommend having it hardwired since the battery does not last as long as they say. It is a bit complicated and you need to order a special piece which Ring doesn't sell to hardwire it in a way that it doesn't short out. Took my wiring guy a while to get it right but now it is good.

Nucleus - Was buggy at first but has been smooth. Had to send 2 units back and got new ones and now works fine. I haven't used the Alexa feature, only the intercom part. Works from your phone which is cool.   

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
I have Ring and Nucleus in my home. It would be nice if the hooked up together... That would bring it to a new level!
they claim integration is coming soon

What questions do you have?

I like both products and I'm sure they will only improve.

Ring - Needs to be close to the wifi to get good strength of service. I recommend having it hardwired since the battery does not last as long as they say. It is a bit complicated and you need to order a special piece which Ring doesn't sell to hardwire it in a way that it doesn't short out. Took my wiring guy a while to get it right but now it is good.

Nucleus - Was buggy at first but has been smooth. Had to send 2 units back and got new ones and now works fine. I haven't used the Alexa feature, only the intercom part. Works from your phone which is cool.

firsty what do you do for shabbos/yom tov

regarding the ring.

1) how's the video quality
2) did you signup for the cloud package
3) do passing cars interfere with the motion sensor
4) why did you pick the ring over skybell or other companies

regarding the Nucleus,
1)does the alexa feature work without needing an echo device at home
2) how's the video quality
3) do you use it wall mounted & if yes through WiFi or Ethernet
4) if you have kids how do they use it

any other smart home devices you were looking at?
many thanks
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:46:09 PM by efflpetzel »

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
Ring -

1) I think the video quality is pretty good. I imagine the Pro has better than the standard version I have.
2) I got mine from Costco which comes with a year of the cloud package. I would recommend buying it there ( costco.com)
3) I don't use the motion due to the fact I have cameras outside my house. I don't need the motion. Plus didn't want the shabbos concerns.
4) Had a family member who had it and was happy. With the Costco deal, it seemed based on reviews it was best deal and best service.

Nucleus:

1) Haven't used the Alexa feature but am pretty sure it does not need an Echo. However, the quality of playing a song or using it as an echo in that sense would probably not be of the greatest quality.
2) Video quality is decent. All depends what your expectations are. For me it is an intercom first. I needed an intercom as I have 4 floors. The quality from a phone to a device is even less. In a room that has no light, it turns to infrared ( looks black and white) however, it does not change back if you turn a light on. The infrared is a new feature that I imagine will continue to improve.
3) They are all wall mounted. 3 are ethernet and 1 is wifi. I haven't seen any real difference in quality, but I can't say that I have really tested that well to give a definitive opinion.
4) The kids love it. They can call me with the touch of a button ( which can be annoying at work sometimes ;-) ), can call them up from the basement for dinner, see what they are doing in the room that has it, etc... Makes it easier for babysitters to have one button call access to you. It adds a new dimension to being in contact within your home and when away from the home.

For me, this was a great option due to needing an intercom system and wasn't able to use a wired system.

I don't have any other real smart devices that I can think of. These were purchased more out of necessity rather than my being techy. Although when people come to your home they thin it is really cool.

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »
As far as Shabbos, none are on motion sensor, so it is not a problem.

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »
I git the nest on the cheap via promotion from Electric Co. You also have to turn off walk up sensor so it doesn't light up every time you walk by it

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »

I just chatted with them

we actually integrated with Ring doorbells recently so if you have Nucleus and Ring setup in your home you can connect them simply by going into Nucleus' settings and logging in with your Ring account info

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »
I git the nest on the cheap via promotion from Electric Co. You also have to turn off walk up sensor so it doesn't light up every time you walk by it
You also need to turn off auto-away.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »

This is a great deal and probably the best shomer shabbos wifi thermostat on the market:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/113052

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 04:33:37 PM »
Why not keep it permanently disabled?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »
This is a great deal and probably the best shomer shabbos wifi thermostat on the market:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/113052
i have that one for over a year. Love it!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
Why not keep it permanently disabled?
Then what is the point of a Nest over the Honeywell for less than half the price?

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
I just chatted with them

we actually integrated with Ring doorbells recently so if you have Nucleus and Ring setup in your home you can connect them simply by going into Nucleus' settings and logging in with your Ring account info

Great. Will check it out. Thanks for the info. They didn't send an email or anything about that... as far as I remember...

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
I just chatted with them

I set it up and seems to work pretty smoothly. It says it is in Beta mode, so I imagine they haven't officially rolled it out and that is why I didn't hear about it. However, you can't activate the Ring from the Nucleus. Only Ring will activate the Nucleus.

It eliminates the need for some of the chimes as it chimes from the Nucleus which is nice.

The video quality on the nucleus from the Ring is not the same as on your phone. But it is decent and should meet your needs...

Offline snagger

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Honeywell, (requires C wire) sensi
how do i know if i currently have a c wire? Is it costly to wire a c wire?

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
how do i know if i currently have a c wire? Is it costly to wire a c wire?
It could be expensive, $100+.
Google how to find a c wire