Author Topic: Smart homes  (Read 89251 times)

Offline brodes18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
Re: Smart homes
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
https://automatedabode.com/using-a-smart-thermostat-on-shabbos/
Article is wrong. Ecobee does have a disable standby screen option and the ability to set the brightness the same for active and inactive.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
Article is wrong. Ecobee does have a disable standby screen option and the ability to set the brightness the same for active and inactive.
That's why we need this:

I prefer it.
Perhaps I'll write up a DDMS post comparing my experience with all of them.

Offline brodes18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »

Good to know. Regardless, I like the part about automating a shabbos mode using the API. I might set this up for myself.

Offline TribeTechReview

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2018, 08:44:15 PM »
I just wrote a two part article on the Wyze Cam.  It is a cute little indoor camera that is only 19.99 and does not have any cloud storage costs (14 days free).  Best thing is that the motion sensor can automatically be turned off for shabbos and Yom Tov.  See this article and other smart home articles on tribetechreview.com

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »

Disabling the standby screen is not the same as disabling the proximity sensor. I you disable the standby screen timeout then the Ecobee will not display the standby screen but it will still dim the screen brightness after some time. When the proximity sensor is activated again the standby screen brightness will get brighter. You do have the ability to set the screen brightness to the same level for both active and standby thereby negating the problem of causing this modulation on Shabbos. However, the downside to this approach is that besides having the screen brightness cranked up all the time, you also lose the outside weather station reporting you would normally have on the standby screen. If you however just put a piece of opaque tape on the proximity sensor the device will change to active mode when touched and will go back to standby after the set timeout.

I should have included your option in my article. I probably didn't think of it at the time because when I got my Ecobee I in general didn't like the idea the proximity sensor activating the screen every time I passed by even during the week. There is no way to disable the proximity sensor and have the functionality I described so I just covered it with a small piece of tape which is barely noticable.

Now that you have pointed this out I will update the article. Since these settings are adjustable with the API it would be possible to have the settings changed right before Shabbos and Yom Tov and changed right back afterward.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
Disabling the standby screen is not the same as disabling the proximity sensor. I you disable the standby screen timeout then the Ecobee will not display the standby screen but it will still dim the screen brightness after some time. When the proximity sensor is activated again the standby screen brightness will get brighter. You do have the ability to set the screen brightness to the same level for both active and standby thereby negating the problem of causing this modulation on Shabbos. However, the downside to this approach is that besides having the screen brightness cranked up all the time, you also lose the outside weather station reporting you would normally have on the standby screen. If you however just put a piece of opaque tape on the proximity sensor the device will change to active mode when touched and will go back to standby after the set timeout.

I should have included your option in my article. I probably didn't think of it at the time because when I got my Ecobee I in general didn't like the idea the proximity sensor activating the screen every time I passed by even during the week. There is no way to disable the proximity sensor and have the functionality I described so I just covered it with a small piece of tape which is barely noticable.

Now that you have pointed this out I will update the article. Since these settings are adjustable with the API it would be possible to have the settings changed right before Shabbos and Yom Tov and changed right back afterward.
People have said the opaque tape trick works on the 3 Lite.

I have the old 3 and can't get the tape trick to work. When I cover the sensors it stays in active mode, so there's no benefit of that for me over leaving the brightness on the same level for active and inactive.

I do lose the weather, but unless someone wants to sell me a 3 Lite at the discounted price I don't think I'll switch just for that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »
I have the 3 and I use black electrical tape to cover the proximity sensor. I've done the same on the Ecobee 4, though on that model the sensor is on the bottom left side. The Ecobee 3 lite doesn't have a PIR sensor so you can't get confused with the proximity sensor. On the Ecobee 3 the proximity sensor is adjacent to the PIR sensor. The proximity sensor is the one that is further left and a bit lower down. You only need a very small piece of tape to cover it.

I imagine that the reason it stayed active in your situation may have been because of the type of tape you used.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »
I used blue painters tape. Are you saying I need to go buy some black tape for it to work?
Have a picture of your tape solution?

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »
Sure I'll send you one when I get home.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2018, 07:02:33 PM »
I just used the cheap black electric tape that I had. I imagine that either will work. It is probably an optical proximity sensor pulsing infrared light. When the light is reflected back the device knows something is there. Thus you need to use black tape so that the light doesn't reflect back.   

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
I would buy the duck tape because it is more matte and would probably be a bit less noticeable. Electric tape is more glossy and tends to discolor when stretched.

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »
Have a picture of your tape solution?
Attached

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:32 PM »
Attached

Thanks, black tape ordered.
What are the 2 sensors on the top left?

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
I believe they are both parts of the proximity sensor. In the picture you will notice the LED light emitting IR which is not visible to the human eye but is visible on a camera (without an IR filter). The tape is covering the sensor that is supposed to receive the reflected IR light from the LED. On the bottom left corner is the PIR sensor covered by a semi transparent plastic.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
Attached

When I tape over just one sensor (like your picture) then the screen changes when I waive my hand in front of it.
But works perfectly when I cover both sensors, thanks!

Who knew that dark blue tape would be different than dark black tape?!?

Offline ev

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
Glad to be of help.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2018, 08:26:40 AM »
Does anyone have recommendations for smart locks for an office?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zgoldglantz

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2018, 11:14:48 AM »
Does anybody know of a smart alarm system that can be set on a timer so it works friday night?

I have been reading through the forums and it seems like everyone's solution for Shabbos is to disable their security systems and cameras over Shabbos. I want to be able to have the alarm set for Friday night (probably midnight to 6am). Is there a smart security system that allows this?

I am in the market for a security system and want to know what people do for Shabbos if they are interested in securing their home over Friday night. I currently have Frontpoint but want to get rid of it before the 30 day cancellation period is up and I get locked into a contract. Been thinking about getting Ring. TIA!