Author Topic: Smart homes  (Read 89249 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Smart homes
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »
Anyone here have or are familiar with the August smart lock? I just got the August Pro on an amazon deal for $160 including install. Essentially, I'm considering using it with a mechanical shabbos lock. My rov said as long as I disable any lights from going on, the mechanical lock can be used on shabbos even if a log entry is written somewhere.

Does anyone have this setup (smart + mechanical lock on same door using same deadbolt?) Does it work well? 

Offline TribeTechReview

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »
You can find artciles on Smart Lock for Shabbos and thermostats including the Ecobee on my site at tribetechreview.com

Offline TribeTechReview

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
I hate to be a freeloader - I just moved into a house  with a battery operated ring doorbell and 2 x ecobee lite 3 with 2 sensors each. just ot get through yom tov, what's the easiest way? I'll set up profiles and stuff afterward

See my comprehensive article on this at tribetechreview.com.  Reach out with any questions.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2019, 12:55:53 AM »
See my comprehensive article on this at tribetechreview.com.  Reach out with any questions.
Very helpful as well. I have some general comments will send you when I have some time, but very well done

Offline TribeTechReview

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
Very helpful as well. I have some general comments will send you when I have some time, but very well done

Look forward to your comments...

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2019, 10:21:41 AM »
Any recommendations for an app/program to use with a tablet to control all smart devices in the house such as lights/speakers/locks/thermostats...?

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2019, 05:25:59 PM »
Any recommendations for an app/program to use with a tablet to control all smart devices in the house such as lights/speakers/locks/thermostats...?

It really depends on the devices you are using. For example, you can setup google assistant to work with compatible lights/thermos, but if your lock isn't compatible, you'll need a separate app to control it.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »
It really depends on the devices you are using. For example, you can setup google assistant to work with compatible lights/thermos, but if your lock isn't compatible, you'll need a separate app to control it.
To add to that, many devices have features that may not work via Google/Alexa (or other "compatible" apps). I have light switches and outlets, that have timers that cannot be set via Google, only via their respective app(s), but can be turned on and off via Google.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:06 PM »
To add to that, many devices have features that may not work via Google/Alexa (or other "compatible" apps). I have light switches and outlets, that have timers that cannot be set via Google, only via their respective app(s), but can be turned on and off via Google.

On that note, many smart locks can't be controlled through alexa/google, or their capabilities are limited. This is due to security and legal concerns. So even if your smart lock is Alexa compatible, that may just mean you can control another device based on a notification from the lock, not that you can control the lock based on something else.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2019, 11:25:13 AM »
Are there any thermostats that can control both heating and cooling in the same room? 2 totally separate systems.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2019, 12:47:37 PM »
Are there any thermostats that can control both heating and cooling in the same room? 2 totally separate systems.

Most themorstats are designed so that only one system is active at a time - i.e. either heat or cooling. Nest has a Heat/Cool feature where it heats below x degrees and cools above y degrees - (i.e. heat it up to 68 and cool it down to 72) - is that what you are thinking of?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »
Most themorstats are designed so that only one system is active at a time - i.e. either heat or cooling. Nest has a Heat/Cool feature where it heats below x degrees and cools above y degrees - (i.e. heat it up to 68 and cool it down to 72) - is that what you are thinking of?
I would never need them working at the same time. Just has to be able to control both. 2 totally different systems, central AC and underfloor heating.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
Not just Nest, all of the themorstats in my comparison post do that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »
I would never need them working at the same time. Just has to be able to control both. 2 totally different systems, central AC and underfloor heating.
It seemed to me in the initial setup of the Ecobee 3 Lite that I have, that there was a possibility to connect more than one piece of equipment.

Offline Chosidtravel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2019, 01:48:07 AM »
New to smart home

What are the best recommendations for hub, Google Alexa, Apple?

Im looking to connect camera with face recognition, door bell, ac smart remot

Offline Chosidtravel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2019, 01:55:12 AM »
Sensibo

Anyone have experience with sensibo.?

I heard it's pretty good to control mini splits. But not that cheap of a product. Amazon offer similar product for much cheaper any options?

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
New to smart home

What are the best recommendations for hub, Google Alexa, Apple?

Im looking to connect camera with face recognition, door bell, ac smart remot

What do you mean by "hub"? - if you are talking about using your voice to interact with the system -  i.e. Alexa/Google/Siri turn off the light in the kitchen - most of those work fine and pretty much interchangeably - in that many manufacturers enable you to control your device using any one of the 3

If you are talking about hub to control stuff, that's something different entirely. A lot of home automation devices/software communicates with each other using certain protocols. For example, you might see things like Z-Wave, Zigbee, or HomeKit compatible on different switches or devices. The idea is not so much which one is better, but making sure that all of the devices you want are compatible.  Also for the first two you will need a separate hub to control all of the Zigbee/Z-Wave devices. (Amazon Echo Plus has a Zigbee controller built in).

Offline Chosidtravel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »
Thanks!

Simple but didn't get it all where can one recommand how to get started to learn about this!

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »
Thanks!

Simple but didn't get it all where can one recommand how to get started to learn about this!

Start here - https://tribetechreview.com/2017/09/20/lighting-automation-for-shabbat-and-yom-tov/ - not necessarily recommending you go out a buy those specific products, but most of them work in a similar fashion.

Generally speaking the way most of these systems work is that you have a home "hub" that connects to your wi-fi and to all of your locks, switches, etc. Your phone or Alexa/Google will speak to the hub when you want to turn on/off lights, and your hub will also have its own app for your phone that you can use to turn things on and off as well as set schedules - for example, for shabbos and Yom Tov. (The site listed above also shows how you can automatically schedule Yom Tov changes using a calendar).

Offline Chosidtravel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2019, 06:30:02 AM »
If you have led lamp is it even worth it to invest in this product to save light on Shabbes?