Author Topic: Smart homes  (Read 90706 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Smart homes
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »
A toy is all fun and games until it decides to do something unpredictable on a 3 day YT... I prefer controlling things myself.

Toy is probably not far off the mark. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the convenience of the home automation - not just for Shabbos/YT, but also during the week. But I also hate the idea of fragmentation. While we have things like Wink, Smarthings, and Homekit, etc. to consolidate controls, they really are a hodgepodge of technologies. I'm sure that eventually I'd be able to settle on a single EcoSystem, but at what expense? At this point I am not going to replace all of my lights, themostats, etc.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:31 PM »
Toy is probably not far off the mark. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the convenience of the home automation - not just for Shabbos/YT, but also during the week. But I also hate the idea of fragmentation. While we have things like Wink, Smarthings, and Homekit, etc. to consolidate controls, they really are a hodgepodge of technologies. I'm sure that eventually I'd be able to settle on a single EcoSystem, but at what expense? At this point I am not going to replace all of my lights, themostats, etc.
Everything I have so far, I can use Alexa for. Haven’t found it to be a hodgepodge.

Offline ckuttner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2019, 05:02:53 PM »
I'd like to follow up on the post quoted below.

We have a locally-monitored alarm system. Weekdays, it is a door-entry, house-intrusion, and fire alarm system. Motion sensors light up when we walk within the house, a light comes on on the panel when we open an outside door, etc. Before Shabbos, I unplug the AC to the alarm and disconnect the backup battery. Motzeh Shabbos, I hook it back up.
    Sometimes I have to deal with an error message as the battery recharges. In addition, we have no remotely-monitored fire alarm on Shabbos.

I'd like to have a system that is professionally monitored; for example, if we're visiting elsewhere on a Shabbos, I'd like someone to call the police if there's a break-in, or the fire dept. if there's a fire.

And we're not really eager to have Google+ or Alexa monitoring our lives. I have been pretty happy with our current alarm company but they don't really want me to modify our panel.
   I'm wondering about options including Xfinity Home [we already have them as our ISP] or SimpliSafe. Do either of those provide options for changed monitoring over Shabbos?
  Thanks in advance...
ck

Does anybody know of a smart alarm system that can be set on a timer so it works friday night?

I have been reading through the forums and it seems like everyone's solution for Shabbos is to disable their security systems and cameras over Shabbos. I want to be able to have the alarm set for Friday night (probably midnight to 6am). Is there a smart security system that allows this?

I am in the market for a security system and want to know what people do for Shabbos if they are interested in securing their home over Friday night. I currently have Frontpoint but want to get rid of it before the 30 day cancellation period is up and I get locked into a contract. Been thinking about getting Ring. TIA!

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »
I just started using simplisafe. What I did was:
1. Soldered LED indicator on entry sensors. The sensors still work, but do not flash a light
2. Made a simple .exe that turns most sensors (aside for glass break and windows that I dont open) off every Friday @ 4pm, and back on after shabbos
(the .exe logs into my account at that time and presses the button for that action).

So far, so good :).

With this setup, you can time it to be on overnight. However, if for whatever reason your computer shuts off, it may fail to turn off putting you in a sticky situation. You can always have a backup computer just in case set for a few minutes later and can set retries.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2020, 12:08:03 PM »
Has anyone tried out the devices from Brilliant.

Their integrations are more than anything else I’ve seen out there

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2020, 03:48:21 PM »
Has anyone tried out the devices from Brilliant.

Their integrations are more than anything else I’ve seen out there
Which Brilliant this or this?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2020, 05:22:08 PM »

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »
The first one
I've never used them, but what makes you say they have better integration then anyone else?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
Looking for a smart IR Blaster for an AC, but I want to be able to set the timer directly on the IR Blaster (all I see are ones where you need a smartphone).
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2020, 01:57:16 PM »
https://tools.woot.com/offers/rachio-8-zone-sprinkler-controller-6

highly recommended. cut my water bill in half last month

ETA: better deal for LI customers https://go.rachio.com/nyamwater
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 02:11:20 PM by ushdadude »

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
anyone know if blink battery operated cameras are easy to make shabbos friendly? (not including moving them every week)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »

Offline MAJ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
anyone know if blink battery operated cameras are easy to make shabbos friendly? (not including moving them every week)
Hope I'm not missing the boat on these, but very simple. They don't record unless the house is "armed".

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2020, 08:19:38 PM »
A toy is all fun and games until it decides to do something unpredictable on a 3 day YT... I prefer controlling things myself.
Here's my horror story, though it has nothing to do with it being an internet connected device. I installed a Honeywell RTH8580WF smart thermostat. During the winter, I often get a static electricity jolt if I touch a doorknob or the screw that secures a light switch plate. I noticed that I would sometimes get a jolt when touching the thermostat's touchscreen. After a few weeks of that voltage taking its toll on the touchscreen, it started to malfunction. It would occasionally feel itself being touched when nobody was touching it. One Friday afternoon in January 2018, a few minutes after Shabbos began, it felt a phantom touch on the up arrow button which set the temperature to the maximum 90 degrees. It's programmed with different temperatures for Wake, Leave, Return and Sleep periods. Each time it transitioned to a new period, it set itself to the programmed temperature for that time. This did not bring relief because after a few minutes, it would feel its up arrow being pressed again and would raise the set temperature to 90 degrees. I did not think that it could actually reach 90 degrees in the middle of winter in my poorly insulated house, but by the end of Shabbos, it did. Staples did replace the thermostat, but nobody reimbursed for all that extra gas burned. Lesson learned: touch that screw to discharge static electricity prior to touching the thermostat. Or avoid touching it at all; use the app or talk to Google instead.
I just noticed that two reviewers on https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH8580WF-Programmable-Touchscreen-Thermostat/dp/B00EP6C8UA reported what is apparently the same issue.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2020, 10:20:12 PM »
Here's my horror story, though it has nothing to do with it being an internet connected device. I installed a Honeywell RTH8580WF smart thermostat. During the winter, I often get a static electricity jolt if I touch a doorknob or the screw that secures a light switch plate. I noticed that I would sometimes get a jolt when touching the thermostat's touchscreen. After a few weeks of that voltage taking its toll on the touchscreen, it started to malfunction. It would occasionally feel itself being touched when nobody was touching it. One Friday afternoon in January 2018, a few minutes after Shabbos began, it felt a phantom touch on the up arrow button which set the temperature to the maximum 90 degrees. It's programmed with different temperatures for Wake, Leave, Return and Sleep periods. Each time it transitioned to a new period, it set itself to the programmed temperature for that time. This did not bring relief because after a few minutes, it would feel its up arrow being pressed again and would raise the set temperature to 90 degrees. I did not think that it could actually reach 90 degrees in the middle of winter in my poorly insulated house, but by the end of Shabbos, it did. Staples did replace the thermostat, but nobody reimbursed for all that extra gas burned. Lesson learned: touch that screw to discharge static electricity prior to touching the thermostat. Or avoid touching it at all; use the app or talk to Google instead.
I just noticed that two reviewers on https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH8580WF-Programmable-Touchscreen-Thermostat/dp/B00EP6C8UA reported what is apparently the same issue.
Wow!

I would say the only true (good) smart home for a frum jew is a diy local one.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 15, 2020, 11:15:33 PM »
wow..you also need to introduce some humidity into your house. 50% is comfortable

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2020, 07:08:02 PM »
Looking for a robot mop/vacuum. Like everything else in the smart homes category, there are dozens out there and for every name brand one, there are even more knock-off ones. Anyone have any they can recommend? 

Thanks
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 16, 2020, 07:54:57 PM »
Looking for a robot mop/vacuum. Like everything else in the smart homes category, there are dozens out there and for every name brand one, there are even more knock-off ones. Anyone have any they can recommend? 

Thanks
What are the features your looking for? There are some better for carpets some with lidar some are random etc. And what's your price range? Do you plan on using it overnight or are you going to be there in case it gets stuck?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2020, 08:18:06 PM »
I need for carpet, wood floor, and tile.
I would not be using it overnight (at least  I don't think so).
The price range is 200-400. 
I'm not sure about the features, just something that I can set and forget and actually cleans all 3 types of floors mentioned above.

Thanks!
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
I need for carpet, wood floor, and tile.
I would not be using it overnight (at least  I don't think so).
The price range is 200-400. 
I'm not sure about the features, just something that I can set and forget and actually cleans all 3 types of floors mentioned above.

Thanks!
At that price range your not going to get anything fancy, your probably going to get one that does random patterns and stops when it hits something (as apposed to having a sensor). iRobot makes the best carpet cleaning ones. As for an exact model perhaps look at consumer reports?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/