Author Topic: Cell-phones/talking in Shul  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Cell-phones/talking in Shul
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 05:15:10 PM »
Once when I was in shul I got so annoyed by someone talking loud on his phone during chazzaras hashatz. I felt like screaming at him "Let alone hashem, you don't give a damn about him anyway; but what about some mentchlichkeit??!!" People are so busy being proper toward others, but what happened when it came to such things?!

In today's world everything is in such haste that we don't have a second for piece-of-mind. At least these few moments that we have the opportunity to talk (or even to wander off into our thoughts), at least then it should be without distractions.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
Once when I was in shul I got so annoyed by someone talking loud on his phone during chazzaras hashatz. I felt like screaming at him "Let alone hashem, you don't give a damn about him anyway; but what about some mentchlichkeit??!!" People are so busy being proper toward others, but what happened when it came to such things?!

In today's world everything is in such haste that we don't have a second for piece-of-mind. At least these few moments that we have the opportunity to talk (or even to wander off into our thoughts), at least then it should be without distractions.
According to the poskim you probably should have.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
According to the poskim you probably should have.
One shouldn't even be looking into a Sefer during Chazaras HaShatz.

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
Why is this in JS?  ???

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »
One shouldn't even be looking into a Sefer during Chazaras HaShatz.
That is already a machlokes haposkim and also may be primarily referring to learning with saying the words and not just looking into a sefer.

R' Chaim Kanievsky writes that one who does shnayim mikro vechad targum during chazaras hashatz is not yotzei since it is a mitzva habo biaveiro.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »
Why is this in JS?  ???
Thats where all the important conversations go.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »
This deserves its own thread.

When I go for Shachris, I bury my phone in the tallis bag. It has happened to me that I forgot it there, and had to go back to get it, but being distracted in shul is by far worse. I would have loved to have cell-phone lockers in 770 (and have spoken to the Gaboim a few times about it, including offering to sponsor), so as to have a convenient solution for Mincha and Maariv.

IMHO, cell phones and talking in shul are major factors in the OTD pandemic. Think about it, if you were to go in from on the SCOTUS and be the only one in the chamber with the justices, given the opportunity to plead your case, would you have a side conversation? Would you allow your phone to ring, or even vibrate? What if you were to get an audience with Bill Gates, one-on-one to ask for participation from his foundation in a project. Would you have a side conversation? Would you allow your phone to ring, or even vibrate? What if Baron Trump would go into his father, who would stop everything in order to be present with his son, and give him full undivided attention, would Baron dare to have a side conversation or have a phone ring while his father has his eyes, ears and thoughts 100% towards him?

When we go into shul, we are one-on-one with Hashem. The above examples don't even come close to what that reality is!

ETA: I just added emphasis above to stress that we all know about דעת עליון and דעת תחתון. While in our physical eyes, material things might seem more real and possibly durable than things we only see בעיני השכל, the reality is the exact opposite!
don't want to hijack this thread but major factor in the OTD epidemic???

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »
don't want to hijack this thread but major factor in the OTD epidemic???
Absolutely!

If a child sees his parent, or other adult, disrespect Hashem's presence (which the child is taught is everywhere and always), especially in Hashem's מקדש מעט, why would such a child have any more respect? And a child can easily take it further, sensing insencerity in the parent...
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 09:16:10 PM »
That is already a machlokes haposkim and also may be primarily referring to learning with saying the words and not just looking into a sefer.

R' Chaim Kanievsky writes that one who does shnayim mikro vechad targum during chazaras hashatz is not yotzei since it is a mitzva habo biaveiro.
The Alter Rebbe writes in the above quote ״ויכוין לכל ברכה מראשה ועד סופה״. That implies that even without saying words, one shouldn't be looking in a Sefer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:45:49 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »
The Alter Rebbe writes in the above quote ״ויכוין לכל ברכה מראשה ועד סופה״. That implies that even without saying words, one shouldn't be looking in a Seder.
The maharil used to yell at people who looked into a sefer  during davening. 'Nuff said.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 12:25:36 AM »
If a child sees his parent, or other adult, disrespect Hashem's presence (which the child is taught is everywhere and always), especially in Hashem's מקדש מעט, why would such a child have any more respect? And a child can easily take it further, sensing insencerity in the parent...
Do really feel they think it is a sign of disrespect?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »
Absolutely!

kids are not stupid they know it's lack of thinking not disrespect. Most people when shmoozeing if you'll politely remind them they would stop.
P.s. You would make a good speaker!
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Cell-phones/talking in Shul
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:43 AM »
kids are not stupid they know it's lack of thinking not disrespect. Most people when shmoozeing if you'll politely remind them they would stop.
P.s. You would make a good speaker!
Most kids will be OK, but some will feel a cognitive dissonance. I am not saying it's a trigger, but I definitely think it has a big part.

I don't know where you daven, but unfortunately, as much as I love 770 and am proud of it, the talking situation in 770 leaves a lot to be desired.

I appreciate your compliment, though I wouldn't try to compete with Dan on the speakers circuit. I just have some things which I am extremely passionate about, and some people appreciate that (though I rarely speak in public).
-- Dan

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 12:39:21 AM »
Most kids will be OK, but some will feel a cognitive dissonance. I am not saying it's a trigger, but I definitely think it has a big part.

I don't know where you daven, but unfortunately, as much as I love 770 and am proud of it, the talking situation in 770 leaves a lot to be desired.

I appreciate your compliment, though I wouldn't try to compete with Dan on the speakers circuit. I just have some things which I am extremely passionate about, and some people appreciate that (though I rarely speak in public).
no need to compete, we'll have 2 lol
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 01:47:35 AM »
Over a year now that the phone either gets turned off, silent, or left in the car.