Topic Wiki

Recipes:

Sous Vide Meat
1. Fill bucket with water.
2. Put Sous Vide machine in water.
3. Put meat in bag.
4. Put bag in water.

« Last edited by henche on September 25, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »

Author Topic: Sous Vide Master thread  (Read 139714 times)

Offline Shua

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sous Vide Master thread
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »
store them in the bag with the juices?
If you are going to be taking the food out before yom tov, then you might want to shock the food immediately after sous vide. Less time the meat is in the danger zone (especially if you aren't searing which can kill off surface bacteria)  the better.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
If you are going to be taking the food out before yom tov, then you might want to shock the food immediately after sous vide. Less time the meat is in the danger zone (especially if you aren't searing which can kill off surface bacteria)  the better.
I'm going to sear it before eating. Not sure what you mean by shocking the meat

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
seasons special tevyas ranch ribeye steak 7.99 lb (aka 50% fat) sous vide tonight :-D
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline rs242

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
seasons special tevyas ranch ribeye steak 7.99 lb (aka 50% fat) sous vide tonight :-D
I find these to have a weird taste

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
I find these to have a weird taste
whenever ive done them they been fine. alot of fat, but at the end of the day oz for oz of meat still cheaper than american
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Shua

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:35 PM »
I'm going to sear it before eating. Not sure what you mean by shocking the meat
Shocking the meat is when you take the meat out of the sous vide and put it in an ice bath to rapidly drop the temperature so its not in the danger zone.

Read more here
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
Shocking the meat is when you take the meat out of the sous vide and put it in an ice bath to rapidly drop the temperature so its not in the danger zone.

Read more here
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety

Too late

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »
You are not cooking for long for the sake of cooking for long that someone would look for a recipe specifically 24 hours long. You would let it cook for that long if that is the amount of time needed to soften it.
I'm not sure if you're referring to my comment about cooking 24hrs, but my question was just that I needed a recipe that cooked up to 24hrs max,  in order for it to be ready for y"t.

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
I assumed you only had an oven. With a hot plate, follow as2's suggestion
Thanks guys for all your help. Just to reconfirm that I am doing this right. After the SV is done today i will sear on the grill, then after it cools I will put it back in a sealed bag. Tomorrow I will warm up a pot of water on my hot plate and dunk the roast in for about 30-45 min to warm and the slice/serve?
WHat if i want to serve half the first day and half the second day? Do I follow the above and then just leave half unsliced, and repeat the rewarming process on day 2? or do I cut the roast in 2 after Sear and put in 2 separate bags for the rewarming?

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
Thanks guys for all your help. Just to reconfirm that I am doing this right. After the SV is done today i will sear on the grill, then after it cools I will put it back in a sealed bag. Tomorrow I will warm up a pot of water on my hot plate and dunk the roast in for about 30-45 min to warm and the slice/serve?
WHat if i want to serve half the first day and half the second day? Do I follow the above and then just leave half unsliced, and repeat the rewarming process on day 2? or do I cut the roast in 2 after Sear and put in 2 separate bags for the rewarming?
Just clarifying the roast will be bagged when you dunk it in water to rewarm it. Only rewarm what you need for the meal, so yes, cut in half today. Otherwise sounds good, enjoy
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Just clarifying the roast will be bagged when you dunk it in water to rewarm it. Only rewarm what you need for the meal, so yes, cut in half today. Otherwise sounds good, enjoy
Thanks!
Do i need to shock/ice bath it today before fridging? or after searing is that not needed?

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
Thanks!
Do i need to shock/ice bath it today before fridging? or after searing is that not needed?
It's still a good idea to do so, as that way it spends less time in the danger zone
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »
It's still a good idea to do so, as that way it spends less time in the danger zone
Thanks again!

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »
I wanted to thank you all for the advice, the results were exceptional. Here is a recap of what I did;
On Monday night I made a small marinade of - 1tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp honey, 1 cube of garlic, Dash of dry mustard- and rubbed it on the meat before sealing with the water dispersion method in a ziplock bag, and put in the fridge overnight. It was a Boneless Rib Eye Roast weighing in at 2.79lbs.
Tuesday morning I put it in for 6 hours at 142 degrees (6 hours due to my work schedule). I removed the meat and put aside the sauce (aprox half- 2/3 cup) that was in the bag. I sprinkled on some kosher salt and black pepper and put it on the grill for about 5-10 min while rotating. I had to keep a close eye on it since the fat had melted and was dripping into the grill and getting caught on fire.

I then sliced it in half after resting the meat for 10 min and separated it for the 2 day meals into "vacuumed" zip lock bags, while taking off the middle slice for tasting :-) . It was amazing, one of the better (best?) tasting pieces of meat I have had in a very long time (ever?). It was a bit too red for my wife so next time I may try 145-147 degrees.
As suggested, on Y"T  I put a pot of water on my hot plate and placed the bagged meat inside for about 30-60 min before serving. It wasnt at the same level as fresh, but it was still very close and I would totally do this again. Here are some pics.

Pre-SV;

Post SV with the juices in the cup;

Post Sear;

Sliced Open;

Repackaged for day meals;

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »
I wanted to thank you all for the advice, the results were exceptional. Here is a recap of what I did;
On Monday night I made a small marinade of - 1tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp honey, 1 cube of garlic, Dash of dry mustard- and rubbed it on the meat before sealing with the water dispersion method in a ziplock bag, and put in the fridge overnight. It was a Boneless Rib Eye Roast weighing in at 2.79lbs.
Tuesday morning I put it in for 6 hours at 142 degrees (6 hours due to my work schedule). I removed the meat and put aside the sauce (aprox half- 2/3 cup) that was in the bag. I sprinkled on some kosher salt and black pepper and put it on the grill for about 5-10 min while rotating. I had to keep a close eye on it since the fat had melted and was dripping into the grill and getting caught on fire.

I then sliced it in half after resting the meat for 10 min and separated it for the 2 day meals into "vacuumed" zip lock bags, while taking off the middle slice for tasting :-) . It was amazing, one of the better (best?) tasting pieces of meat I have had in a very long time (ever?). It was a bit too red for my wife so next time I may try 145-147 degrees.
As suggested, on Y"T  I put a pot of water on my hot plate and placed the bagged meat inside for about 30-60 min before serving. It wasnt at the same level as fresh, but it was still very close and I would totally do this again. Here are some pics.

Pre-SV;

Post SV with the juices in the cup;

Post Sear;

Sliced Open;

Repackaged for day meals;

Looks delicious!
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »
awesome!
If it's too rare, you can heat it up in the oven as well. it's risky but it works.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »
I think I'm going to leave a flame on.
1st night, sous vide cowboy steak, seared right before serving.
2nd night sous vide turkey roast, served at room temperature with hot gravy.

1st night steak was awesome
2nd night turkey may be one of the best sous vide experiences ever! meat will always be good no matter how it's cooked. turkey on the other hand, sous vide takes it to the next level!

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »
what recipe are you using?
I was planning to make 6 lbs of this today: http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/sous-vide-short-rib-recipes/more/sous-vide-short-ribs-with-braised-fennel
this turned out phenomenal.

Recipe called for 48 hours in the sous vide. Put it up Sunday and took out right before yuntif.

Then i made a 4lb french roast using this recipe (http://modernistfoodie.blogspot.com/2012/12/24-hour-beef-chuck-roast.html) which called for 24 hours. I pre-seared it and used fresh rosemary instead of dried.
No after pics since i put it up before yuntif and took out on the second night.
This was hands down the best thing i ever made in the sous vide. Tasted like a rib roast. I also had it at 133.0 instead of the 132.0 called for by the recipe. The only thing that would have made it better was searing it afterward instead of before, but we didnt want to leave a flame on as we have an electric stove top.

Offline Mikeoracle

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
awesome!
If it's too rare, you can heat it up in the oven as well. it's risky but it works.
The second day I left it in hotter water for a bit longer and that helped get an "outside slice" that was a bit more done.
I forgot to mention that I mixed the juice with a tsp of corn starch and added some red wine, put it into a pan on the hot plate until it was fully heated and got an amazing gravy that I served with the meat.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2017, 05:19:30 AM »
Just put in flanken at 185 for 12 hours (don't have time), anyone have experience with that?