Topic Wiki

Recipes:

Sous Vide Meat
1. Fill bucket with water.
2. Put Sous Vide machine in water.
3. Put meat in bag.
4. Put bag in water.

« Last edited by henche on September 25, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »

Author Topic: Sous Vide Master thread  (Read 140139 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sous Vide Master thread
« Reply #541 on: October 13, 2022, 02:27:30 PM »
Has Anyone ever done a flanken roast in sous vide

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2023, 11:36:17 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/23762514/breville-joule-turbo-sous-vide-review

Cool science.

The article says if you want a steak to be 131 F, then you should sous vide until 131 F. I wouldn't recommend that, as depending on how you finish/sear it, the internal temp will increase.

Also, I feel like requiring to input dimensions into this machine adds in quite the variable as that is not generally that easy to do. 

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2023, 11:42:05 PM »
Cool science.

The article says if you want a steak to be 131 F, then you should sous vide until 131 F. I wouldn't recommend that, as depending on how you finish/sear it, the internal temp will increase.

Also, I feel like requiring to input dimensions into this machine adds in quite the variable as that is not generally that easy to do.
But quicker than the alternative
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2023, 11:43:48 PM »
Anyone tried the "air sous vide" built into some newer model range ovens ?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #546 on: June 20, 2023, 03:56:17 AM »
Interesting. First post since October in this thread, and Rabbi Stilerman sent out this today:

Questions of the month - using a sous vide cooker (www.sousvide.co.il).

1) Does it need Tevilas Kelim?

2) Can you use a sous vide machine for Shabbos [because of the issue of hatmona]?

3) If I cook my salmon on Erev Shabbos at the temperature the recipe calls for, which is 42.5° Celsius (108.5° Fahrenheit), which is under yad soledes according to many poskim, can I then reheat it on Shabbos if the fish will get to a temperature that is above yad soledes?
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 20, 2023, 07:15:40 AM »
Interesting. First post since October in this thread, and Rabbi Stilerman sent out this today:

2) Can you use a sous vide machine for Shabbos [because of the issue of hatmona]?

3) If I cook my salmon on Erev Shabbos at the temperature the recipe calls for, which is 42.5° Celsius (108.5° Fahrenheit), which is under yad soledes according to many poskim, can I then reheat it on Shabbos if the fish will get to a temperature that is above yad soledes?

1. Never touches the meat so I would think not.
2. No. It is clear hatmana. Unless you go like the חזון איש, but then you should be being machmir on הטמנה במקצת.
3. It is explicit in the Gemara that under yad soledes cannot cook. So the question should be "why isn't a sous vide a ראיה שאין עליו תשובה that 108 is yad soledes מעיקר הדין".

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #548 on: June 20, 2023, 08:40:44 AM »
Cool science.

That's why you cook to 131, take out and pat dry, and only blast when the internal temp drops 5-10 degrees so you don't overshoot during the sear.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 20, 2023, 10:23:21 AM »
That's why you cook to 131, take out and pat dry, and only blast when the internal temp drops 5-10 degrees so you don't overshoot during the sear.

Interesting. How long do you usually wait?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #550 on: June 20, 2023, 10:50:40 AM »

Got a chance to go through the attached docs. He says:
1. Rav Levi Shapiro from OK says no tevila because no contact with food. http://www.ok.org/kosherspirit/fall-2018/sous-vide/). Rav G. Shuster also says no. Rav Belsky Z"L says (according to the OU) the pot needs tevila even though it doesn't touch (doesn't say why but I assume he holds the plastic bag is not a good separation - I remember seeing shitos that way), but not the machine. https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis/sous-vide-machine-require-tevilas-keilim/

2. Hatmana: Minchas Osher is machmir. A Rabbi Mordechai Frankel quotes Rav Heineman as being machmir. Rav Levi Shapiro in the same article above says there are tzirufim to be meikil.

3. Rav Daniel Travis in his newsletter asked this question to poskim. Rav Azriel Aurbach basically says this may be an indicator that salmon is kalei habishul... His conclusion:
. If salmon was cooked before Shabbos at under yad soledes using a Sous Vide, it should not be reheated on Shabbos. Although there are arguments that cooking in the Sous Vide under yad soledes may be halachic bishul, since there is a possibility that the fish may not be considered cooked before Shabbos, reheating might be bishul. Even if the fish was fully cooked in a Sous Vide before Shabbos, if reheating the fish makes it crispy as if it had been roasted, this may be considered tzli after bishul.
2. If salmon was cooked before Shabbos at a temperature above yad soledes using a Sous Vide, one may reheat it on Shabbos on an upside-down tray on the platter or blech, as long as doing so does not produce a roasted effect on the taste of the fish, and is therefore not considered tzli after bishul.
Rav Z. N. Goldberg says like @imayid2 at least lechumra:
The Gemara does not give an exact temperature for yad soledes, but rather says that it is the heat that can burn the skin of a baby's stomach. Although many poskim rule that yad soledes is in the range of 43-45° Celsius (109.4-113° Farenheit), I believe that if in fact the salmon became cooked at 42.5° Celsius in the Sous Vide, this is an indication that 42.5 may well be considered yad soledes. Therefore, at least lechumrah, we should consider this fish to be cooked.

Anyone who wants any (or all) of the documents can PM me with their email.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 20, 2023, 12:28:56 PM »
2. Hatmana: Minchas Osher is machmir.
He has 2 letters on the subject, originally he was machmir and in his second letter he is meikal. I can pull it up for you if you’re interested, and maybe you can explain to me what he’s talking about.
Rav Levi Shapiro in the same article above says there are tzirufim to be meikil.
What are his tzirufim?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 20, 2023, 01:01:34 PM »
What are his tzirufim?
Pulled it up:
Sous vide may not be included in the above prohibition for the following reasons:

1.The food is not placed in a heated pot; the water and food are being cooked simultaneously.
2.The bag is meant to protect the food from crumbling, but is not intended to insulate.
3.The food is visible through the water and bag.[13]
4.There is no lid on the pot.
1. I have no idea where he is coming from, would love to understand.
2. Doesn't help at all from the problem of the water being matmin. Too many people make this mistake.
3. This is a very mechudash שולחן ערוך הרב, hard to imagine anyone being meikal bec of that.
4. Same problem as 2.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #553 on: June 20, 2023, 02:22:35 PM »
Interesting. How long do you usually wait?

Doesn't take very long. Maybe 5-10 mins? But just double check with instant read probe.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #554 on: June 20, 2023, 02:41:53 PM »
Pulled it up:
2. Doesn't help at all from the problem of the water being matmin. Too many people make this mistake.

If that were true, any shehiya would be hatmana.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 20, 2023, 02:44:02 PM »
If that were true, any shehiya would be hatmana.
This is completely untrue. שהייה isn’t hatmana for the simple reason that it isn’t covered by anything.

What in the world do you mean?!

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 20, 2023, 03:12:22 PM »
Doesn't take very long. Maybe 5-10 mins? But just double check with instant read probe.

So let it drop to 115?

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #557 on: June 20, 2023, 03:29:41 PM »
This is completely untrue. שהייה isn’t hatmana for the simple reason that it isn’t covered by anything.

What in the world do you mean?!
If you consider being surrounded by the water in which it is being cooked hatmanah, then any time you are cooking in water, that is happening.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 20, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »
If you consider being surrounded by the water in which it is being cooked hatmanah, then any time you are cooking in water, that is happening.
No absolutely not.
Usually it is all one tavshil. This is a separate kli in another kli.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #559 on: June 20, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »
Hatmana regarding Sous Vide was discussed a number of times on DDF pretty sure including this thread.
Feelings don't care about your facts