Author Topic: Don't fly Delta  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Finkelstein0613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Don't fly Delta
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »
Option 2: DON'T FLY WITH DELTA!
I had heard of travel nightmares others experienced, and recently encountered it myself when Joan of Delta Airlines in Atlanta ruined our family vacation. Our family was scheduled to travel from Baltimore (BWI) via Atlanta to Johannesburg.
When we checked in, we were told that South Africa has a law requiring children under 18 to travel with birth certificates in addition to their passports. This was not the law, but no one would listen to us – Delta agents insisted they knew better than we did. Although we had time to go home to get the birth certificates, they reviewed the multiple forms of identification we had with us, coupled with photos of the birth certificates on our phones, and the Delta ticket agent deemed our identification sufficient and stamped our tickets with “DOCS OK”.
We traveled from Baltimore with no problems, but when we prepared to board the second leg in Atlanta, we were told that our passports and other identifications were insufficient for travel to South Africa. Again, Delta refused to listen when we said that it’s not true, and they refused to check the airline policies to make sure they were right. Instead, we were talked down to and treated with disrespect by Delta staffer Joan, in a manner that raised our concern for anti-Semitic behavior towards us, as we were outwardly Jewish. After horrific bureaucratic treatment (which I will not go into detail) during which Delta took no responsibility for the “Docs ok” stamp and approval we received from their own team at BWI, we were forced to make arrangements to get our original birth certificates from Baltimore to New York, and we had to fly to JFK airport to get them.
We made arrangements to fly straight from New York to South Africa, while we were all tired, hungry, and upset. As we waited for our original birth certificates to arrive at JFK, agents from South African Air reviewed the passports, identifications, and photos of the birth certificates, and informed us that we did not need the originals, and we were allowed to board the plane.
When we landed in South Africa, we weren't asked for neither the originals nor pictures of the children's birth certificates. We learned that the old law requiring such had changed. Because of Delta’s lack of familiarity with travel laws, and unprofessional treatment, we lost valuable vacation time in delays, we lost money, and we arrived in South Africa extremely hungry (as the changed travel arrangements meant we did not have our pre-ordered kosher meals on a 16 hour flight). We were run ragged for no reason.
It took us days to recover because of the incompetence and anti-Semitic behavior we experienced. And after filing a complaint, Delta offered $250 towards our next flight with their airline that had to be used within a certain time frame, little compensation for ruining a vacation that cost over $10,000.
Flyers be warned: don’t travel with Delta.

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Don't fly Delta
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:54:21 PM »
Without explicit details, I feel no reason to bring in anti semitism

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:55 PM »
My niece had a terrible experience with DL last year when her flight was cancelled.

I filed a complaint online on her behalf, and got decent compensation (and on top of that mandatory Israeli law compensation).

In December my wife and I had a bad experience when we VOLUNTEERED to be bumped off the flight, I complained online and got adequate compensation.

My experience with them is that they run a good operation, but sometimes local agents don't act appropriately. Corporate customer relations will go out of their way to apologize and try to compensate. If you feel compensation offered is inadequate, just tell them. Don't give up until you get what you believe is fair.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »
My niece had a terrible experience with DL last year when her flight was cancelled.

I filed a complaint online on her behalf, and got decent compensation (and on top of that mandatory Israeli law compensation).

In December my wife and I had a bad experience when we VOLUNTEERED to be bumped off the flight, I complained online and got adequate compensation.

My experience with them is that they run a good operation, but sometimes local agents don't act appropriately. Corporate customer relations will go out of their way to apologize and try to compensate. If you feel compensation offered is inadequate, just tell them. Don't give up until you get what you believe is fair.
+1 I'm not about to go and cancel all future flights because of this. Fight for your compensation, but more importantly, know the rules, and stand your ground.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:33:43 AM by as2 »
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Finkelstein0613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/South-Africas-new-rules-on-travelling-with-children-may-deter-families/

Those were the rules. They have since changed. We ended up going to South Africa and we're not asked for birth certificates or any other proof that our children were indeed ours.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
At the end of the day there is a certain truth that you can have an awful experience on any airline.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:03:25 AM »
At the end of the day there is a certain truth that you can have an awful experience on any airline.

Maybe I should change the title to "Don't fly" :D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »

Those were the rules. They have since changed. We ended up going to South Africa and we're not asked for birth certificates or any other proof that our children were indeed ours.

The fact that you were not asked for birth certificates or any other proof that your children are indeed yours, doesn't prove anything about what the written, actual, rules are.
-- Dan

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »
When I flew ATL-JNB on DL a couple years ago I witnessed a family being told the same thing at the gate right before boarding. I don't know if it was Joan but it seemed like the gate agent didn't have too much sympathy for the family whose trip she was ruining. If it makes you  feel any better though I will tell you that I don't think there was any anti-Semitism involved. The family that I saw turned away was just a regular non-Jewish family.  I think Joan is probably just a misanthrope not an anti-Semite.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
The fact that you were not asked for birth certificates or any other proof that your children are indeed yours, doesn't prove anything about what the written, actual, rules are.

Correct, JNB customs is a joke.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »

At JNB the immigration officer who was a black guy looks at me and says some words in another language. I started getting nervous that he's trying to speak to me in Swahili! Then he just says it again except slower and I'm thinking I don't understand Swahili. Then he says it again and I realize that he is saying, "Mah hamatara shel habikur shelcha?" I answered the guy in Hebrew and we had a short conversation. That's never happened to me in any other country.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
At JNB the immigration officer who was a black guy looks at me and says some words in another language. I started getting nervous that he's trying to speak to me in Swahili! Then he just says it again except slower and I'm thinking I don't understand Swahili. Then he says it again and I realize that he is saying, "Mah hamatara shel habikur shelcha?" I answered the guy in Hebrew and we had a short conversation. That's never happened to me in any other country.

:)

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »
Its happened to me with a black guy at a gas station in the Bronx.   
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Never been there, but a family member who was born there was given an entire runaround trying to get a South African passport before going there. Eventually that person traveled with a different passport, and wasn't questioned even once about South African papers, going in or out of the country.
-- Dan

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
Its happened to me with a black guy at a gas station in the Bronx.

Can we start a new thread for everyone to post where a black guy spoke Hebrew to them?

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 12:55:18 PM »
Can we start a new thread for everyone to post where a black guy spoke Hebrew to them?
If it was in Brooklyn it doesn't count.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »

Half the time the say Shalom or May Nishma but don't actually speak any Hebrew.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »
I once had a shuttle bus driver ask me in Hebrew where I need to go (while I was waiting for a different shuttle), upon boarding I almost asked him מאיפה מגיע יהודי, but something stopped me. Turns out he was an Arab from הר הזיתים!
-- Dan

Offline PillanSmye

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
I always bring a certified copy of my son's birth certificate when I travel internationally. 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.