Author Topic: Don't fly Delta  (Read 7472 times)

Offline Moshke

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Don't fly Delta
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
In our neighbourhood had cops arrested someone I was watching and a cop came over to me and start explaining the story in Hebrew he told me I don't want the others to understand

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
Half the time the say Shalom or May Nishma but don't actually speak any Hebrew.

Yeah those are the ones that want to ask you a million questions about the last supper.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »
I always bring a certified copy of my son's birth certificate when I travel internationally. 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
+1 I do the same. I do it for [insert government office] as well with my/DW paperwork. Too many a time I was missing the proper documents, so I bring it all every time. I bring my marriage cert. with for flights, turns out it saved me a lot of time/$, as DW license was expired and she didn't have the new one yet (in the mail) and the DMV official had given us bad instructions as to what will be accepted as ID.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 04:08:25 PM »
Yeah those are the ones that want to ask you a million questions about the last supper.

Tell them they are invited to come to your Seder and get the full experience themselves :D
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 04:11:01 PM »
OP: I have not found any source online that the rule has changed. If it has, please share proof.

This has nothing to do with Delta. Every airline has turned people away because of this rule. This is why I put it in big bold letters on the DDF South Africa wiki.

If you get turned away by South African immigration for lack of the correct paperwork, guess who is on the hook to fly you back home? That's right, Delta.

Which is why the airline is often stricter than the immigration officials (in any country). That the individual agent you saw that didn't check your documents is in no way indicative of the actual rules.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I'm sure it sucked, and I don't blame you for not wanting to step foot on another Delta plane. But please do not blame antisemitism for a bad customer service experience. You're doing the rest of us a huge disservice.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »
OP: I have not found any source online that the rule has changed. If it has, please share proof.

+1 I have not seen either, therefore I put in the link.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 04:39:54 PM »

This has nothing to do with Delta. Every airline has turned people away because of this rule. This is why I put it in big bold letters on the DDF South Africa wiki.

If you get turned away by South African immigration for lack of the correct paperwork, guess who is on the hook to fly you back home? That's right, Delta.

Which is why the airline is often stricter than the immigration officials (in any country). That the individual agent you saw that didn't check your documents is in no way indicative of the actual rules.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I'm sure it sucked, and I don't blame you for not wanting to step foot on another Delta plane. But please do not blame antisemitism for a bad customer service experience. You're doing the rest of us a huge disservice.

@Yehuda57 articulate as ever.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
At JNB the immigration officer who was a black guy looks at me and says some words in another language. I started getting nervous that he's trying to speak to me in Swahili! Then he just says it again except slower and I'm thinking I don't understand Swahili. Then he says it again and I realize that he is saying, "Mah hamatara shel habikur shelcha?" I answered the guy in Hebrew and we had a short conversation. That's never happened to me in any other country.
I've had Jewish immigration officers at JFK ask questions ranging from "when's his opshernish?" Or a Friday midday question "where are you going, to Crown Heights or to the Kever?"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
I've had Jewish immigration officers at JFK ask questions ranging from "when's his opshernish?" Or a Friday midday question "where are you going, to Crown Heights or to the Kever?"

One guy asked me if I'm Sephardi or Ashkenazi and gave me a quizzical look when I replied that I'm fifty-fifty.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »
I once had an issue with security in Zurich, with my tefillin. They insisted on taking them out and one of them asked me, "is this the urim v'tumim?"

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
I once had an issue with security in Zurich, with my tefillin. They insisted on taking them out and one of them asked me, "is this the urim v'tumim?"

Lol! Ddf instant classic!!!

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »
Lol! Ddf instant classic!!!
I don't think I've ever been so thrown off while going through airport security.

Offline tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
We flew to JNB from TLV with our kid earlier this year on LY.
We had to sign a form saying that we acknowledge LY told us we should carry birth certificates for children under 18.

Luckily we did have it otherwise they wouldn't have let us in at JNB. Dedicated line with an immigration officer looking at all bbirth certificates in details. Same on the way back to JNB.

To be fair it was also written clearly on LY's website at check in