Author Topic: Avis  (Read 45252 times)

levi

Avis
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »
Something tells me that with all the bochurim on this site this thread is going to be great, although I may be wrong. Ok so i'll start

I have some coupons for a free rental day that can be used for up to a premium that i get from avis, after every 15 days a rentals I get one coupon. In any case I have a couple saved up and I try to use them when I need to rent a car for a day and the rate is high.

I have notice in the past that when I put the coupon number in the reservation in advance the location sees that the day is free so not always do i get the upgraded. For example today I had a reservation at IAH for a premium and when i arrived they offered me a town car but after seeing 6 or 7 caddys in there lot i asked if I can get an upgrade to the STS I was told that there not avilable for upgrades but I can pay for it and have it. So now here is the problem my coupon is only good for up to a premium and I really want the STS so I  said to the rep  "I have no problem paying more money charge me wtv it is, BUT my company only allows me to rent up to a premium so keep me in the premium catagory and just manually change my rate to wtv it is" little does she know that tomorrow when i return the car being that it says on my contract group G meaning premium I will be able to apply the coupon and have a free day.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:16:37 AM by Levi »

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
Re: Avis Loopholes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:41:13 AM »
I think you have too much time on your hands.
-Eli

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 12:48:22 AM »
levi how long do the $25 coupons usually take to come in the mail ,(sorry levi with the new rules for this section i have to be as useless as possible)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:51:42 AM by E »

levi

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:57:59 AM »
levi how long do the $25 coupons usually take to come in the mail ,(sorry levi with the new rules for this section i have to be as useless as possible)
They take about a week should'nt be longer, just make sure, i'm not sure why your getting them or how often your getting them but when they ask you for a phone number for there records dont always give the same number because then they will see that that number had X amount of coupons already and it will raise a red flag if it shows alot
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:18:07 AM by Levi »

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:04:23 AM »
i know with enterprise you could take a business card and write on it "free upgrade"
and next time tell them that you received this from the desk for what ever reason

but question i see your fans of avis but enterprise is almost always cheaper?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:35 AM »
true but u got to be 21 for that

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:16:33 AM »
and with avis you dont?

levi

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 02:16:44 AM »
i know with enterprise you could take a business card and write on it "free upgrade"
and next time tell them that you received this from the desk for what ever reason

Enterprise may be cheaper when using some corparate accounts, Me personaly never rented a car under a corparate that I did'nt work for. And I only remember one time in almost 5 years with avis that I paid the price they asked for ;D

levi

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 02:18:22 AM »
and with avis you dont?
Depending on the corparate account (direct billing) some allow the min age to be 18 with no underage fee

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 06:03:57 AM »
Depending on the corparate account (direct billing) some allow the min age to be 18 with no underage fee
Yes, I have a corp with no underage fee. Some places try adding it in, but I just call up on complain, I always tell to look on my account and they will that I am never charged underage fee, they always take it off.(sometimes they give me 50$ credit for the hassle)
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline sl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 06:44:45 AM »
What's a good corp account to use to be able rent under 21?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 08:21:22 AM »
  not all corp accounts that lower the age to 18 are direct billing

levi

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:56:13 AM »
  not all corp accounts that lower the age to 18 are direct billing
Thats because they are granfathered in from the old policy but to open up a corparate account today that should not have an underage fee it has to be direct billing

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »
Thats because they are granfathered in from the old policy but to open up a corparate account today that should not have an underage fee it has to be direct billing
maybe, but when i opened up an account for my fathers company a few years back EVERYBODY told me that it has to do be direct billing  but i got it without so i guess YMMV

levi

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
Something tells me that with all the bochurim on this site this thread is going to be great, although I may be wrong. Ok so i'll start

I have some coupons for a free rental day that can be used for up to a premium that i get from avis, after every 15 days a rentals I get one coupon. In any case I have a couple saved up and I try to use them when I need to rent a car for a day and the rate is high.

I have notice in the past that when I put the coupon number in the reservation in advance the location sees that the day is free so not always do i get the upgraded. For example today I had a reservation at IAH for a premium and when i arrived they offered me a town car but after seeing 6 or 7 caddys in there lot i asked if I can get an upgrade to the STS I was told that there not avilable for upgrades but iIcan pay for it and have it. So now here is the problem my coupon is only good for up to a premium and I really want the STS so I  said to the rep  "I have no problem paying more money charge me wtv it is, BUT my company only allows me to rent up to a premium so keep me in the premium catagory and just manually change my rate to wtv it is" little does she know that tomorrow when i return the car being that it says on my contract group G meaning premium I will be able to apply the coupon and have a free day

Guys this is one of my favorite topics so feek free to ask any questions and i'll try to answer

Just to share the end of my story I called the location today to add the coupon number to my rental and they did but they said when I return the car I have to come to the counter to give them the coupon I said no problem, anyways to make a long story short I just returned the car and when they scaned the car they printed me a receipt which said the total price $10.89!!!! (tax) and I still have the coupon!!! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:05:39 AM by Levi »

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
...and when they scaned the car they printed me a recipe which said the total price $10.89!!!!

Was the recipe for chocolate chip cookies - they're my favorite! Oh Oh! Maybe it was a recipe for a cheesecake for Shavuous! Yipee I'm so excited.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:11:28 PM by Eli »
-Eli

Offline Other Guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
Was the recipe for chocolate chip cookies - they're my favorite! Oh Oh! Maybe it was a recipe for a cheesecake for Shavuous! Yipee I'm so excited.
ROFL! Spell check helps but you should read it over too! ;D

Offline abetobee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »
i recently found a mistake price of $20 on orbitz for a six day car rental in ylm.naturally they know how to screw around with you there and told me that its $20 per day.this is in addition to $14 ins. per day, which is a ridiculous amount. do i take this up with avis ,orbitz(for qouting me a  price  without insurance which is 1/6 of the final price)or both. any compensation coming my way? thanx

Offline abetobee

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »
how do you get to be chairmans club at avis preffered. ive rented with them about 40 days this year alone-2008.btw anyone have acheap car for sale in israel.i think its about time,but with gas here at $8 dollars a gallon i'd go for s/t small or electric!

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »
i recently found a mistake price of $20 on orbitz for a six day car rental in ylm.naturally they know how to screw around with you there and told me that its $20 per day.this is in addition to $14 ins. per day, which is a ridiculous amount. do i take this up with avis ,orbitz(for qouting me a  price  without insurance which is 1/6 of the final price)or both. any compensation coming my way? thanx

That's not a price mistake. Orbitz and any other car rental website will always show you the price per day because many people don't take insurance, and insurance is different in every state, and even if you do take insurance there are 4 different types and you may take one and not the other. In Yerushalayim (which is where I assume you rented based on the "ylm" that you wrote) they require a World Mastercard such as the Continental or AA credit card to pay for certain insurances. And finally, $14 a day is not abnormal for insurance. If I remember correctly in Newark it's $12.95 a day for ALI.

how do you get to be chairmans club at avis preffered. ive rented with them about 40 days this year alone-2008.
You will not become Chairman's Club - ever. You may be promoted to Wizard Select which I think is now the Avis First program. But the truth is that I think that the rentals in Israel don't count towards a better status. I'm not 100% sure though.

-Eli