Topic Wiki

If your video is not embedding, see if your link starts with "http:" - if it does, change it to "https:" and it will work.

If a video isn't embedded you should assume it may be inappropriate for some people.

How do I embed a Youtube video?
Simply post the YouTube URL.
Alternately (actually, this may no longer work):
Click the "youtube" button on the second row on the furthermost left side.
You will now have the words: [youtube][/youtube] in your editor.
Now, copy and paste the youtube video id (youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&x=y) in between the middle brackets in order for it to look like this:
    [youtube]oHg5SJYRHA0[/youtube]
and leave out this part of the link: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v="

Or you can paste the YouTube link, highlight it, and then click on the "YouTube" button. This will encase the link in the youtube tags,
Now just click "post" and you're done!

How can I search if a video has been posted here before?
This is not foolproof, but it's a good start.
Search for the youtube ID (youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

« Last edited by Randomex on March 21, 2021, 11:48:57 AM »

Author Topic: The funny/strange/interesting video thread...  (Read 1790143 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: The funny/strange/interesting video thread...
« Reply #8260 on: August 01, 2021, 10:57:22 PM »

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: August 02, 2021, 05:57:23 AM »
What is the point of all these videos? Do we really need a goy dancing with a Sefer Torah?

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: August 02, 2021, 07:54:30 AM »
What is the point of all these videos? Do we really need a goy dancing with a Sefer Torah?
Showing the true beautiful colors of orthodox life? As opposed to 99.9% of all other social media coverage on us

Offline Happyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: August 02, 2021, 08:20:11 AM »
Showing the true beautiful colors of orthodox life? As opposed to 99.9% of all other social media coverage on us

IMHO a lot of this seems to come from a non-Torah Hashkafa that if only we would explain more to Goyim hen things would be better. Rashi in Bereishis 33:4 says: הלכה היא בידוע שעשו שונא ליעקב.

Rav Menachem Ziemba HY'D famously asks, why does it say הֲלָכָה? He answers, Reb Shimon is the one who says this statementand he follows  טעמא דקרא, yet here Reb Shimon is forced to tell us that the hatred is without any good rhyme or reason, like a indisputable Halacha.

Also see, אגרות משה חושן משפט חלק ב סימן עז who answers this question in a similar fashion.

כבר אמרתי על הלשון שהביא רש"י בפי' החומש פ' וישלח (ל"ג, ד') על קרא דוישקהו ארשב"י הלכה היא בידוע שעשו שונא ליעקב דמה שייך זה להלכה, דהוא כמו שהלכה לא משתנית כך שנאת עשו ליעקב לא משתנית דאף אלו שנוהגות באופן טוב שנאתן גדולה בעצם.

Why is the word halacha here? It is because just as halacha never changes, so to Esav’s hatred of Yaakov never changes. Even in they behave well towards us, their hatred of Jews is actually strong.”

I am not saying that if one meets someone on the street and he asks him out of curiosity, why do you wear strings and skullcap etc., that one can't give him an explanation. It just seems to me that the way that this is done isn't done with a Torah Hashkafa. Especially when ultimately these things end up to be a bit of a bizoyon, such as a Goy dancing with a Sefer Torah and in a previous video having a Goy videoing Jews at a Shabbos table which the pashtus is, is assur. i am not saying that they didn't get a heter to do it, but is it so important that it was necessary to use kulos for it?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: August 02, 2021, 08:23:58 AM »
in a previous video having a Goy videoing Jews at a Shabbos table which the pashtus is, is assur. i am not saying that they didn't get a heter to do it, but is it so important that it was necessary to use kulos for it?
They asked their rov & he told them exactly what yes & what not to do. If your rov says differently then don’t do it. But don’t tell them not to follow their rov’s guidance.

Offline Happyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8265 on: August 02, 2021, 08:28:39 AM »
They asked their rov & he told them exactly what yes & what not to do. If your rov says differently then don’t do it. But don’t tell them not to follow their rov’s guidance.
Can someone please explain that heter to me and who the Rov is? Did the Rov say it was Lechatchilo?
I didn't say that they shouldn't follow their Rov’s guidance.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: August 02, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »
who the Rov is?
None of my (& anyone else’s) business.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: August 02, 2021, 02:30:23 PM »

Why not?
If you do something public, it is everyone’s business.
And the whole concept of it’s not your business is a very American idea not a Torah idea ( of course people should have there own privacy but the general idea especially how it is defined in western culture does not shtim with Torah)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: August 02, 2021, 02:31:47 PM »

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: August 02, 2021, 02:35:05 PM »
Why not?
If you do something public, it is everyone’s business.
And the whole concept of it’s not your business is a very American idea not a Torah idea ( of course people should have there own privacy but the general idea especially how it is defined in western culture does not shtim with Torah)
If I was going to eat at his Simcha I’d want to know who the Rav Hamachshir is. What’s the difference to me who the rov is who told him he could video his shabbos table ? If I’m contemplating videoing my table I’ll ask my rov. And you should ask yours.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: August 02, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »
I think there are middle grounds here.

On most matters, the prevailing sentiment is "it's not my business." Even though we have a notion of "kol Yisroel areivim," that is not satisfied by second guessing him on DDF. If someone thinks someone is doing something wrong, they can try to be mekarev them. If they are unsure, they can ask their own rov if it's possible their is a heter, and if there is no possibility of a heter, try some warm kiruv.

But, there are certain things that are my business. (Not saying this is one of them...) If someone wants to come into my neighborhood and put up a billboard that will be seen by my family and it contains pictures that I think is improper for them to see, it is well within my right to speak up. This is just one example. So I don't think there is any across the board rule.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: August 02, 2021, 02:41:38 PM »
If I was going to eat at his Simcha I’d want to know who the Rav Hamachshir is. What’s the difference to me who the rov is who told him he could video his shabbos table ? If I’m contemplating videoing my table I’ll ask my rov. And you should ask yours.

If someone is putting out a video that can effect the public especially young souls which such a video can have a big impact, people want to know who is behind it. Is it someone competent enough was he told all the details etc....

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: August 02, 2021, 02:44:50 PM »
I think there are middle grounds here.

On most matters, the prevailing sentiment is "it's not my business." Even though we have a notion of "kol Yisroel areivim," that is not satisfied by second guessing him on DDF. If someone thinks someone is doing something wrong, they can try to be mekarev them. If they are unsure, they can ask their own rov if it's possible their is a heter, and if there is no possibility of a heter, try some warm kiruv.

But, there are certain things that are my business. (Not saying this is one of them...) If someone wants to come into my neighborhood and put up a billboard that will be seen by my family and it contains pictures that I think is improper for them to see, it is well within my right to speak up. This is just one example. So I don't think there is any across the board rule.

I dont think people here are judging all that was asked where some facts about the heter and who the Rov is. And I think that is very fair question to ask.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 03:06:09 PM by Ver hut gazugt »

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: August 02, 2021, 02:52:22 PM »
Is it someone competent enough
How in the world will this be determined with everyone having their own size measuring stick ?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: August 02, 2021, 03:03:30 PM »
This is the bar:

Does he know Shulchan Aruch as well as TimT knows DDF?

Offline Happyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: August 02, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
He is trying to represent Orthodox Jews. Which means (according to him anyway) he is speaking in our names so I want to know under what authority he is doing so.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: August 02, 2021, 04:15:47 PM »
He is trying to represent Orthodox Jews. Which means (according to him anyway) he is speaking in our names so I want to know under what authority he is doing so.
I don’t see it as he’s speaking for us. He made it very clear many times that everyone has different minhagim & different rabbis & he’s going according to the guidance he received.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #8277 on: August 02, 2021, 04:25:41 PM »

He's not speaking in anyone's name. He's giving a glimpse into the frum life. Your questioning his methods, which are between him and his rov. You're entitled to disagree.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Happyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: August 02, 2021, 04:42:41 PM »
He's not speaking in anyone's name. He's giving a glimpse into the frum life. Your questioning his methods, which are between him and his rov. You're entitled to disagree.
IMHO a lot of this seems to come from a non-Torah Hashkafa that if only we would explain more to Goyim hen things would be better.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #8279 on: August 02, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »

I don't have an issue with you or your opinion. I'm just saying he isn't claiming to speak for anyone, and isn't required to answer everyone's questions about his rov's reasoning.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.