Topic Wiki

If your video is not embedding, see if your link starts with "http:" - if it does, change it to "https:" and it will work.

If a video isn't embedded you should assume it may be inappropriate for some people.

How do I embed a Youtube video?
Simply post the YouTube URL.
Alternately (actually, this may no longer work):
Click the "youtube" button on the second row on the furthermost left side.
You will now have the words: [youtube][/youtube] in your editor.
Now, copy and paste the youtube video id (youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&x=y) in between the middle brackets in order for it to look like this:
    [youtube]oHg5SJYRHA0[/youtube]
and leave out this part of the link: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v="

Or you can paste the YouTube link, highlight it, and then click on the "YouTube" button. This will encase the link in the youtube tags,
Now just click "post" and you're done!

How can I search if a video has been posted here before?
This is not foolproof, but it's a good start.
Search for the youtube ID (youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

« Last edited by Randomex on March 21, 2021, 11:48:57 AM »

Author Topic: The funny/strange/interesting video thread...  (Read 1784164 times)

Offline Yossi.

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: The funny/strange/interesting video thread...
« Reply #1040 on: July 03, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »
so u did not watch the video and made a point that u will not watch it! but u want the explanation on the reason it is a kiddush Hashem on a silver platter - correct?

btw the video is 6 minutes and i am sure u spent already half of that time answering and posting your emoticons!... wait let me see... ahh this one is good  :o

Offline mclovin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 03, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »
so u did not watch the video and made a point that u will not watch it! but u want the explanation on the reason it is a kiddush Hashem on a silver platter - correct?
umm yeah pretty much.
btw the video is 6 minutes and i am sure u spent already half of that time answering and posting your emoticons!... wait let me see... ahh this one is good  :o
i watched the first half plus 3 min on emoticons so that equals the whole thing and i stll dont get it. care to explain

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1042 on: July 03, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
@mclovin why don't you just say you don't think a Jewish kid wearing a yalmuka and singing well on national TV for millions of people to see is a kidush Hashem?

Some feel it shows he proud to be Jewish and is talented so it's a kidush Hashem. Cmiiw but you don't share that sentiment.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 03, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
umm yeah pretty much.i watched the first half plus 3 min on emoticons so that equals the whole thing and i stll dont get it. care to explain
well then u just missed the 3,000 people standing ovation in addition to the judge explicitly stating that he was jewish and a great singer...

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1044 on: July 03, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »
well then u just missed the 3,000 people standing ovation in addition to the judge explicitly stating that he was jewish and a great singer...
some frumpeople might see this as  huge chilul Hashem because he was singing goyish music and on TV which is asur plus he was around kol isha so now all goyim think this is allowed. Plus what does a good voice have to do with glorifying Hashem's name?

Not my opinion but what others will say. I've been through this b4 on the forums 

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »
@mclovin why don't you just say you don't think a Jewish kid wearing a yalmuka and singing well on national TV for millions of people to see is a kidush Hashem?

Some feel it shows he proud to be Jewish and is talented so it's a kidush Hashem. Cmiiw but you don't share that sentiment.
correct. consider it said. that is why i wanted to know if there was something else in the video i didnt know about

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
correct. consider it said. that is why i wanted to know if there was something else in the video i didnt know about
Ugh you could of just said that straight out. No need to be smart about it.

Do I have to search for this argument before and see if it was with us?

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »

Maybe one of you could explain more fully. I don't want to be argumentative, but it seems like there's a misconception here. You're saying that the fact that a Jewish kid is having a successful run on a talent show is a kiddush Hashem? I haven't watched much of him, but he seems like a mensch. I guess you could argue that acting like a mentsch while yarmulke on national television qualifies, but you'd really be stretching the definition of kiddush Hashem. It doesn't mean that people should see Jews being successful. It means that people should see Jews living the life that Hashem commanded them to live. Edon may very well be doing that in his daily life, but singing on TV doesn't count.

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »
Ugh you could of just said that straight out. No need to be smart about it.

Do I have to search for this argument before and see if it was with us?
i wasnt being smart (that comes naturally) i just wanted to make sure that is what he meant before i argued.
u could search but i dont remember having this argument before (but it could be)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 03, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »
i wasnt being smart (that comes naturally) i just wanted to make sure that is what he meant before i argued.
u could search but i dont remember having this argument before (but it could be)
Nop wasn't with you, but same argument. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=14448.msg193486#msg193486

You should be ho honored you agree with AJK

@skyguy918 Read through the link above. If it doesn't make sense I can try and adapt it to this specific case.

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: July 03, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »
this is WAY off topic :) any vids anyone?
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 03, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
this is WAY off topic :) any vids anyone?
I don't think it is. what's the point of posting videos if you don't discuss them? The discussion is part of the video.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1052 on: July 03, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Frankly, I believe there is absolutely Kiddush Hashem when people with Kippas are thrust into the spotlight--as in the case of Beren--or voluntarily seek it out--as in the case of Edon--provided those individuals act with the utmost respect, and serve as role models of the Jewish faith.

Anything more than that, like basketball or singing prowess, just dont make the cut, IMHO.

But yes, in the case of Edon, as he seems to be acting like a mentch, being considerate of others, and not taking himself too seriously (from what I've seen), I tend to believe that creates a Kiddush Hashem.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 03, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
Frankly, I believe there is absolutely Kiddush Hashem when people with Kippas are thrust into the spotlight--as in the case of Beren--or voluntarily seek it out--as in the case of Edon--provided those individuals act with the utmost respect, and serve as role models of the Jewish faith.

Anything more than that, like basketball or singing prowess, just dont make the cut, IMHO.

But yes, in the case of Edon, as he seems to be acting like a mentch, being considerate of others, and not taking himself too seriously (from what I've seen), I tend to believe that creates a Kiddush Hashem.
You just don't want to agree with McLovin :P

I am glad to see we agree partially at least :)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 03, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
@WhyAich For you some adorable elmo videos. (Not sure if these were posted yet, but they are really not so cute)

and

ETA: I am glad to see Gibson has found a suitable job ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:30:04 PM by jj1000 »

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 03, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
I was trying to formulate my understanding of kiddush Hashem into the right words, and lo and behold, Webster's does it for me (not a proof of course, merely a good phrasing for what I was thinking):
Quote from: Webster's Dictionary
Definition of KIDDUSH HASHEM

Jewish relig
: a religious or moral act that causes others to reverence God
Kiddush Hashem is not about making people think that Jews are great. It's about turning them on to the fact that Hashem is great, as is the lifestyle He commanded us to follow. Success in some secular pursuit does not accomplish this.

@AJK. I hear what you're saying, but he's being put on a stage for his singing, not his middos. Every person in their everyday life who is living b'derech Hashem is mekadesh shem shamayim in their own small way. That effect is magnified on national television and he should be commended for continuing to be a mentsch even in this situation. But in my mind, an act such as the one described in the quote from Webster, even if it's only in front of a few people, is a bigger kiddush Hashem.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »
@skyguy918 You said that "Every person in their everyday life who is living b'derech Hashem is mekadesh shem shamayim in their own small way." So you agree it is a kidush Hashem end of debate.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1057 on: July 03, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »

+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 03, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »
@WhyAich For you some adorable elmo videos. (Not sure if these were posted yet, but they are really not so cute)

like your comments better than the video, seen it ... but you're funny :)
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 03, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »

RWJ fan?  ;)