Author Topic: Verizon 4G/LTE Smartphones  (Read 42257 times)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon 4G/LTE Smartphones
« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2011, 08:53:56 PM »
Welcome to Android!!
(I still have my Palm Centro :( ) but I have been playing around on android for a while. And while Swype and auto-correct are great, there is nothing like a physical keyboard.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:59:42 PM by elikay »

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but if people are looking around for keyboards, I have found SwiftKey to be amazing. It does the standard word completion but also suggests words based on your sentence patterns.

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:21 PM »
I see that a number of people replied that they are coming from blackberrys and are a little concerned about losing the physical keyboard and other things....
i used to consider myself a blackberry buky/geek. then i made the plunge to android with the first android phone the G1. I returned it on day 30 (of the 30 day return policy). it was very cool but being the first android device ever it was still buggy and there were things slowing me down (calendar entries, messaging, etc). so i went back to the blackberry.

However, I made the final plunge from blackberry to android when the original motorola droid came out a couple years ago. i have never looked back. once google ironed out most of their issues, android, in general is a solid OS.

Keyboard issue:
I find myself typing faster with android than the blackberry. As mentioned above, swiftkey is my choice of a keyboard. It is a smart keyboard and it predicts based on your history.

Please note that with Ice Cream Sandwich (on the Galaxy Nexus) you probably do not need any other keyboard other than whats built in since it uses similar technology. Google bought the company the mind "Blind Type" http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/06/remember-blind-type-its-the-new-ice-cream-sandwich-keyboard/

The ICS keyboard is the best yet.

A while back - I had so many friends asking me "why is android better than..." so i made a little guide and posted on my blog (that i completely do not update any more. the post can still be found here: http://anothermobiletechblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/screenshots-on-verizons-htc-thunderbolt.html

If anyone has any questions about android, the galaxy nexus, or ICS, please feel free to write me, as Ive gone from blackberry geek to android geek.

I got my Galaxy Nexus when it was released on Thursday and I love it!

Also, if you are looking for more info on the Galaxy Nexus, I follow the website www.Droid-Life.com (there are a ton of android sites but I like this one the best because it weeds out all the garbage and posts the best of the best)
Droid Life has a complete guide on the gnexus and ICS in general over here: http://anothermobiletechblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/screenshots-on-verizons-htc-thunderbolt.html

Gut Vuch!

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
If anyone has any questions about android, the galaxy nexus, or ICS, please feel free to write me, as Ive gone from blackberry geek to android geek.
Thanks for the summary and the offer to advise us Android newbies.
What's the best way to get Hebrew keyboard support on the GNexus? I don't see it as an option in the settings.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2011, 11:31:30 PM »
Anysoft keyboard has a Hebrew keyboard.

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2011, 11:55:26 PM »
A note on battery life and accessories:

I came from an HTC Thunderbolt where the battery life was horrendous. So this is a drop better but will definitely not last a whole day.
there are a bunch of settings to tinker with to save battery. (take off haptic/vibrate feedback is a simple one) but the biggest drainer is turning off 4G and keeping it on 3G. Well this is my problem with that. Why would I get a 4G phone if I can't use it!? Your choices are as follows:
1) when you are home and have wifi or at the office with wifi, keep it on 3g since you dont need 4G, just use wifi, which uses much less battery.
2) do what I do - use the heck out of the phone, dont worry about the battery, but keep a spare battery (or 2) in your pocket or car. The just swap when you need to ;)

NOTE ON THE EXTENDED BATTERY vs Standard. If you use the silicone gel case that they sell for 20 bucks at VZW, the extended battery will fit in it. but the other cases wont fit it perfectly (even though it only increases thickness minimally. ALSO it only extends the battery a little bit. its like from 1850 to 2100 mah. Dont forget, you will need the $39 second battery charger - so oyu can charge up the regular plus the extended one at the end of the day. the $39 one comes with a spare battery (1750mah).

Just buy (rent?) from vzw the $39 http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12922&accessoryId=49880

buy for $10 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-1750mAh-Battery-Wall-USB-Charger-Samsung-Galaxy-Nexus-Prime-I9250-/260917194699?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cbfe06fcb
just note that it takes like 2-3 weeks to get the ebay one from china. thats why i sais "rent" from verizon......

I bought the above $39 battery/charger and also the extended but since its not compatible with my case i am returning my extended battery. the extra standard will be fine....

A NOTE ON THE CAR DOCK: The verizon version does not have a way for the usb cable to plug into the dock. Meaning, oyu need to put your phone into the dock, then the cable into the phone. I am waiting for the international version to be released in the us so that the dock always stays plugged in and you just pop the phone into the dock for easy charging/nav/etc....

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 18, 2011, 12:09:31 AM »
for 250 mah definitely not worth it.

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 18, 2011, 12:41:22 AM »
Download: Google Wallet Apk for Galaxy Nexus LTE, All Users - No Root or Zip Flashing Required - http://t.co/N8xa9T2L

You must first allow installing apps from sources other than market.
Settings-->security-->unknown sources

You get 10 bucks free when adding a google prepaid card!

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 18, 2011, 01:25:40 AM »
What's the best way to get Hebrew keyboard support on the GNexus? I don't see it as an option in the settings.
Correction, the G-Nexus has hebrew support built-in! You go to settings>lang. and input>android keyboard>input languages and check the hebrew checkbox. In any text field holding down space button will allow you to toggle languages.

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 18, 2011, 01:29:35 AM »
טוב מאוד
Holy cow it just did that by saying it. Awesome.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 18, 2011, 01:40:21 AM »
@Dan
The one thing you'll miss a lot is the ease with which you can go back and correct text on a Centro with android (and iphone) it is harder.   Also, cut and paste is a real pain.

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 18, 2011, 01:44:24 AM »
טוב מאוד
Holy cow it just did that by saying it. Awesome.
Very cool! Seems like there's no setting for toggling voice input language, only uses default.

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 18, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »
Im "copying and pasting"
You go to settings>lang. and input>google voice typing. Change from default add whatever lang...

Offline kingsfan33

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 18, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 18, 2011, 02:11:39 AM »
http://db.tt/mFao55QS
Yup thanks just logged on to correct myself again! Still adjusting to Google's menu logic.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2012, 10:17:33 AM »
No perfect place to put this, but:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/253808/3g_and_4g_wireless_speed_showdown_which_networks_are_fastest.html

Conclusion:

Best 3G network for download: T-Mobile
Best 3G network for upload: T-Mobile
Best 4G network for download: AT&T
Best 4G network for upload: Verizon

#sprintblows
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #296 on: October 16, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 16, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
Holy cow, that's fast.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline Wizard

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2017, 12:43:09 AM »
can list a Verizon Wireless cellphone as unlocked (I belive all VZW 4G phones are unlocked)? TIA!
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)