Author Topic: non native english speaking cs reps  (Read 5365 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: non native english speaking cs reps
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 07:01:48 PM »
As a side observation, it's interesting how these foreigners keep their original names which gives away that they're offshore, even when doing business with Americans and working for a company like AMEX. Their not ashamed of it and AMEX doesn't see it as a problem.

It's more annoying when the Indian guy tells you his name is Kevin from San Francisco when he's never been to San Francisco in his life...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »
As a side observation, it's interesting how these foreigners keep their original names which gives away that they're offshore, even when doing business with Americans and working for a company like AMEX. Their not ashamed of it and AMEX doesn't see it as a problem.

I know many Jewish a number of Jewish guys who work in CS for companies like B&H, and they use adopt an English sounding name just for the job. I think may of us here are familiar with that.

Its not just B and H, I use an english name for work- much easier for people to call me by than my nickname
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 11:21:32 PM »

I know many Jewish a number of Jewish guys who work in CS for companies like B&H, and they use adopt an English sounding name just for the job. I think may of us here are familiar with that.

If amex had a problem with their names theyd have many more problems than just that, like B and H had.

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 11:27:51 PM »
If amex had a problem with their names theyd have many more problems than just that, like B and H had.

Not Legal problems. I'm talking about lost business kind of problems, or just making things more difficult.

I picked B&H as an example. There are plenty of other people and companies that try to Americanize their names. Is this just stupid of AMEX, or maybe they realize it's not needed (and we should follow too).

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »
Not Legal problems. I'm talking about lost business kind of problems, or just making things more difficult.

I work in an ethnically diverse office, where many non-Jewish people use common names as aliases, because their ethnic names (e.g. Rahjne) are hard to pronounce. I think that's a third factor, and has nothing to do with legal issues or lost business, just common names being easier to remember/pronounce.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 11:36:46 PM »

I picked B&H as an example. There are plenty of other people and companies that try to Americanize their names. Is this just stupid of AMEX, or maybe they realize it's not needed (and we should follow too).
Its online only so I dont see the issue, why would they lose business? Who cares what their names are?

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »
I work in an ethnically diverse office, where many non-Jewish people use common names as aliases, because their ethnic names (e.g. Rahjne) are hard to pronounce. I think that's a third factor, and has nothing to do with legal issues or lost business, just common names being easier to remember/pronounce.

+1, congrats on 6K posts

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »

I can see the logic in that. I'm trying to understand why companies like AMEX and Dell will have  their CS use names like Alejandro....

And maybe it's a hint for us too...

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
I can see the logic in that. I'm trying to understand why companies like AMEX and Dell will have  their CS use names like Alejandro....

Several possibilities:

Transparency? - Know you're talking to a foreigner.

Employee's job satisfaction - I'd feel offended if my employer instructed me to use the name Albert, for example.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:09 PM »
Its online only so I dont see the issue

Actually, it's on the phone too.
Who cares what their names are?

Fro the same reason you care to change your name.

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:44 AM »
Actually, it's on the phone too.
Fro the same reason you care to change your name.

I dont care what my name is, I actually used my nickname originally- didnt work out too well so I changed it.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 02:53:29 AM »
I dont care what my name is, I actually used my nickname originally- didnt work out too well so I changed it.
How did it not work out too well?

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
How did it not work out too well?

People couldnt pronounce it, couldnt remember it, got pretty annoying.