Author Topic: online masters programs  (Read 7635 times)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
Re: online masters programs
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »
Bellevue University is Regionally Accredited (i just emailed them)
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
Just a PSA; national accreditation is typically easier to get and less well recognized. Regional accreditation (if done by the proper accrediting agencies) is by far more respected and accepted.
Could be I got it mixed up, they are accredited nationally but not regionally. It's been a while

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2014, 01:20:35 PM »
Could be I got it mixed up, they are accredited nationally but not regionally. It's been a while
I have no idea what accreditation any of these universities are, I just wanted to clarify the terminology.

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
should i bother with the whole online masters programs are a huge waste of time and money or am I just beating a dead horse?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »
For what?
should i bother with the whole online masters programs are a huge waste of time and money or am I just beating a dead horse?

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
If anybody could shed some light on obtaining a nursing home administration certificates specifically for nj/pa, would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »
If anybody could shed some light on obtaining a nursing home administration certificates specifically for nj/pa, would be greatly appreciated.
nj from what ppl have told.me is VERY easy. Take a couple short courses and work 1700 hours.

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
nj from what ppl have told.me is VERY easy. Take a couple short courses and work 1700 hours.
any test to pass? And 1700 hours I'm assuming unpaid?

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
any test to pass? And 1700 hours I'm assuming unpaid?
Yup, I hear its like 9 months unpaid FT.. Same as paying for a degree I guess. Plus, salary for an admin is supposedly 70-120k which is pretty decent for a 40hr week.
Not sure what the catch is...

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
Do you have to pass any test?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2014, 04:44:32 PM »
I've heard so but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.. No personal experience

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
Yes. The licensing test. Though the catch is; uif u want to work in NY its a huge pain bec then u need to take the 5 courses. Or work for three yrs as an admin. + 300 more hours if ur not an admin for 3 urs.

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
How much does the avg. NHA make? One can get hired as being the administrator of an entire nursing home after just interning for 9 months?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »
How much does the avg. NHA make? One can get hired as being the administrator of an entire nursing home after just interning for 9 months?
They start as assistant admin...

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
Yup, I hear its like 9 months unpaid FT.. Same as paying for a degree I guess. Plus, salary for an admin is supposedly 70-120k which is pretty decent for a 40hr week.
Not sure what the catch is...
I know very little about LNHA in NJ. But the one thing I could tell you is that the value of a license in NJ in much less than in NY. This results in lower salaries. The obvious reason is that since it is so easy to get it in NJ, there is a larger pool of people qualified. In addition, starting off, people assume you know much less since the schooling and internship is much less.
Now if you want to know about getting a license in NY, then I could try to provide info.
BTW, I'm not sure why it seems like NHA is such a great career. Yes, there is potential if you are on top of your game, but it is the same with any job. Maybe people think that it is easy to get a license. That may be the case in NJ/PA/IL but in NY, you are looking at a minimum of a year of internship (don't get paid) where more often than not they take full advantage of you and you work like a dog. Knowing several people that went through the program, very often the preceptor has little time for you so even after the internship, you don't know much. Besides for the year internship, you also have to take 5 courses, at about $1000/course, of which three of them have to be completed beforehand. And then you also have to find placement (not an easy feat) and get approval from the DOH, which could also take time. The only plus side is that any accredited undergrad degree is enough to be part of the program (besides the 5 courses, etc). So if one has an accredited BTL, then they will save a little time. But even assuming a guy has a degree, he is still looking at about 2 years from the time he starts the 5 courses, finds placement, gets approval, takes the exam, and gets licensed (takes another few months for them to give you a license).
Furthermore, while I do know one administrator that may work around 40 hours a week, that is not the norm (and usually they are in small facility, where the salaries are very small). While I admit I'm more the extreme, aside from working normal hours, I also go back into work once or twice a week for the evening and night shifts (followed by a full day of work). I also go in a few Sundays each month,   and on call basically 24/7. Again, this is an extreme (I hope) but there is no way the average administrator works just 40 hours/week and get a nice salary. Dream on.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2014, 07:46:52 PM »
@sammy, how's the actual work, mostly paperwork or hands on managing the place?

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
a lot of everything. Paperwork, hands on, HR, patient/family relations, etc

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2014, 02:58:12 AM »
a lot of everything. Paperwork, hands on, HR, patient/family relations, etc
Multitasking.

+Sammy said. I am.doing research and as it seems NY lisence is way ahead of a nj lisence

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
I know very little about LNHA in NJ. But the one thing I could tell you is that the value of a license in NJ in much less than in NY. This results in lower salaries. The obvious reason is that since it is so easy to get it in NJ, there is a larger pool of people qualified. In addition, starting off, people assume you know much less since the schooling and internship is much less.
Now if you want to know about getting a license in NY, then I could try to provide info.
BTW, I'm not sure why it seems like NHA is such a great career. Yes, there is potential if you are on top of your game, but it is the same with any job. Maybe people think that it is easy to get a license. That may be the case in NJ/PA/IL but in NY, you are looking at a minimum of a year of internship (don't get paid) where more often than not they take full advantage of you and you work like a dog. Knowing several people that went through the program, very often the preceptor has little time for you so even after the internship, you don't know much. Besides for the year internship, you also have to take 5 courses, at about $1000/course, of which three of them have to be completed beforehand. And then you also have to find placement (not an easy feat) and get approval from the DOH, which could also take time. The only plus side is that any accredited undergrad degree is enough to be part of the program (besides the 5 courses, etc). So if one has an accredited BTL, then they will save a little time. But even assuming a guy has a degree, he is still looking at about 2 years from the time he starts the 5 courses, finds placement, gets approval, takes the exam, and gets licensed (takes another few months for them to give you a license).
Furthermore, while I do know one administrator that may work around 40 hours a week, that is not the norm (and usually they are in small facility, where the salaries are very small). While I admit I'm more the extreme, aside from working normal hours, I also go back into work once or twice a week for the evening and night shifts (followed by a full day of work). I also go in a few Sundays each month,   and on call basically 24/7. Again, this is an extreme (I hope) but there is no way the average administrator works just 40 hours/week and get a nice salary. Dream on.
A few people PM'ed me that I kind of scared them off. Let me be clear (famous words by Barak Obama which you know he is about to somehow bend the truth), 1)there is a lot of potential to make a lot of money (aside from just being an administrator, you could do different types of consulting, become a regional directors, become part owner, etc) if you work hard, as in any job 2)for the right person, it is a very rewarding job in the sense that you are helping people when they can't help themselves and need you the most. There are few times in my life that I feel as good as when I see patients who came into my facility on a respirator, vent, dialysis, ulcers all over, etc, and after a few years, they walk out to go home literally on their own two feet. It is unbelievable and indescribable. 
But it usually not a 40 hour/week job and the money doesn't come easily.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
A few people PM'ed me that I kind of scared them off. Let me be clear (famous words by Barak Obama which you know he is about to somehow bend the truth), 1)there is a lot of potential to make a lot of money (aside from just being an administrator, you could do different types of consulting, become a regional directors, become part owner, etc) if you work hard, as in any job 2)for the right person, it is a very rewarding job in the sense that you are helping people when they can't help themselves and need you the most. There are few times in my life that I feel as good as when I see patients who came into my facility on a respirator, vent, dialysis, ulcers all over, etc, and after a few years, they walk out to go home literally on their own two feet. It is unbelievable and indescribable. 
But it usually not a 40 hour/week job and the money doesn't come easily.

Sammy82 you are not wrong. I jst spoke to someone last night for a while he kept of saying, it has the potential tp drain a person in the sense sometimes the NHA can be a scapegoat to the homes issues. why? bec there so replaceable. Yet as it seems there is what to gain whether it be satisfaction of financially...