Author Topic: Amex pay with points for travel (with 20% plat bonus)  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Amex pay with points for travel (with 20% plat bonus)
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »
Hey there,

I'm an avid reader of this forum and dansdeals.com but I can't seem to find an answer to this question on previous threads.

I'm trying to book a hotel which is not associated with any awards program using amex travel "pay with points". Being that I'm a platinum member I get 20% of the points back.

However it costs 154,000 points for an $1000 reservation.  Even with the bonus, this seems to be a really bad use of Amex MR Points. 1 amex point comes out to less then 1 cent...

In general is "Pay with Points" for travel considered a good use of Amex points?

Thanks!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Amex pay with points for travel (with 20% plat bonus)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
Hey there,

I'm an avid reader of this forum and dansdeals.com but I can't seem to find an answer to this question on previous threads.

I'm trying to book a hotel which is not associated with any awards program using amex travel "pay with points". Being that I'm a platinum member I get 20% of the points back.

However it costs 154,000 points for an $1000 reservation.  Even with the bonus, this seems to be a really bad use of Amex MR Points. 1 amex point comes out to less then 1 cent...

In general is "Pay with Points" for travel considered a good use of Amex points?

Thanks!

PWP is never a good value.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Amex pay with points for travel (with 20% plat bonus)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
Thanks!