Author Topic: SMS to friend's GV number results in SPAM/phishing messages to my cell phone.  (Read 1119 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I sent an SMS to a friend's GV number about two weeks ago.

Shortly thereafter I started receiving SMS messages from email addresses which seemed like they were trying to phish my friends email (for example, one of the messages came for a similar handle to one of his Gmail accounts with an @gmail.net TLD.

Messages mostly say HI and have an html attachment.

How to stop/block these?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
I sent an SMS to a friend's GV number about two weeks ago.

Shortly thereafter I started receiving SMS messages from email addresses which seemed like they were trying to phish my friends email (for example, one of the messages came for a similar handle to one of his Gmail accounts with an @gmail.net TLD.

Messages mostly say HI and have an html attachment.

How to stop/block these?

His account has most probably been hacked.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
His account has most probably been hacked.
Obviously. And email addresses were harvested, amongst them was the email address GV creates as an alias/gateway to SMS my cell phone number, which is why I am getting this spam. Question is whether there's a way to get that alias/gateway disabled, so that anything sent to that address would just bounce back to the sender.
-- Dan

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Obviously. And email addresses were harvested, amongst them was the email address GV creates as an alias/gateway to SMS my cell phone number, which is why I am getting this spam. Question is whether there's a way to get that alias/gateway disabled, so that anything sent to that address would just bounce back to the sender.

You might be able to do it on your phone, check the settings, or maybe TrueCaller.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
You might be able to do it on your phone, check the settings, or maybe TrueCaller.
This needs to be done on the GV sms gateway layer, as the email address was harvested and messages are coming from various sources.
-- Dan