Author Topic: Calling US from Israel  (Read 4020 times)

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Calling US from Israel
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
Is there anywhere to find more info on how to use skype or google voice from israel to the US? I guess these are free or cheap ways to make calls but I'm in the dark as to actually doing it. (tried searching but did not find much)

what i have so far is an airstick web service from travelcell, and am thinking i could use skype to call US ($3 month) or their world plan for $13 which includes israeli landlines. I have a palm centro with an orange  bigtalk sim.

any better options?

Thanks!

Offline sawlw

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Calling US from Israel
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
i use localphone.com which is somewhat of a calling card they charge .009 per min. thts 1/10 of a penny!
 they give you 15 local numbers assigned to 15 U.S. numbers of ur choice and for additional numbers  u dial an access code

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »
i use localphone.com which is somewhat of a calling card they charge .009 per min. thts 1/10 of a penny!
 they give you 15 local numbers assigned to 15 U.S. numbers of ur choice and for additional numbers  u dial an access code

thanks, how to use this from israel? If it is a calling card it means i'd have to dial  a local number on my cell and pay the travelcell rates to get to thier system?

Offline sawlw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »
thanks, how to use this from israel? If it is a calling card it means i'd have to dial  a local number on my cell and pay the travelcell rates to get to thier system?
correct u would pay travel cell's reg. fee to bezek, since they give you  03-xxx-xxxx numbers

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:32:38 PM »
I guess that's a little better than dialing the US from the cell, but still paying 20 plus cents a minute. I'm hoping to do it much cheaper as long as I have my computer handy.

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
I guess that's a little better than dialing the US from the cell, but still paying 20 plus cents a minute. I'm hoping to do it much cheaper as long as I have my computer handy.
keep using ur fone to pay travelcell... thats how ur supporting me ;)

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Calling US from Israel
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 07:44:46 PM »
I use xphone. 1-700-018-018 costumer service - no contract and without a package you pay 2.80 shekel a month and every min is .11 ag. + .055 ag. Airtime . They dont charge you your cellphone (orange or cellcom etc ) airtime . Total comes out .16 and a half ag. Per min = about .04 and half cents a min. To america and Canada
They have great rates to other countries as well.

Offline Bh101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »
Is there anywhere to find more info on how to use skype or google voice from israel to the US? I guess these are free or cheap ways to make calls but I'm in the dark as to actually doing it. (tried searching but did not find much)

what i have so far is an airstick web service from travelcell, and am thinking i could use skype to call US ($3 month) or their world plan for $13 which includes israeli landlines. I have a palm centro with an orange  bigtalk sim.

any better options?

Thanks!
its pretty simple to use skype or google voice , skype both parties have to download the program and ur good 2 go! and google voice it cost a little bit of money .

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
I use xphone. 1-700-018-018 costumer service - no contract and without a package you pay 2.80 shekel a month and every min is .11 ag. + .055 ag. Airtime . They dont charge you your cellphone (orange or cellcom etc ) airtime . Total comes out .16 and a half ag. Per min = about .04 and half cents a min. To america and Canada
They have great rates to other countries as well.

that would be great for US calls if you dont have to pay per min to call them, but on their site http://www.018.co.il/en/israelcard.asp

When using the calling card through Israeli mobile phone out of the Israel, there will be a payment to the cellular operators.

are you sure they dont charge the for the airtime?

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:31 PM »
its pretty simple to use skype or google voice , skype both parties have to download the program and ur good 2 go! and google voice it cost a little bit of money .

it says here that google voice wont work outside the US, is that right?
http://www.google.com/support/chat/bin/answer.py?answer=187614&hl=en

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
Calling US from Israel
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
that would be great for US calls if you dont have to pay per min to call them, but on their site http://www.018.co.il/en/israelcard.asp

When using the calling card through Israeli mobile phone out of the Israel, there will be a payment to the cellular operators.

are you sure they dont charge the for the airtime?
If u use their calling card service then you are right it'll cost you airtime , but if you sign up over the phone -no contract - then you dial straight from your phone to america ..018-1-718.... Etc.. And that charges you the way I said above. I've been doing it for months now.

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 07:09:18 AM »
ive got jivetel and and now hooked up my google voice

i pay $5 for the pay as you go plan from jivetel and retain my usa number, voicemail and unlimited incoming

for outgoing i just use my google voice account on my computer..if ur not familiar - you plug in the number you want to call and it calls ur dsl line back and then rings thru to ur destination

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »

for outgoing i just use my google voice account on my computer..if ur not familiar - you plug in the number you want to call and it calls ur dsl line back and then rings thru to ur destination

I've got google voice, and know how to use it from the US  but still not following all the steps from Israel, can you show a link or describe? I don't have a dsl line.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
Calling US from Israel
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
ive got jivetel and and now hooked up my google voice

i pay $5 for the pay as you go plan from jivetel and retain my usa number, voicemail and unlimited incoming
This plan works straight to your cell phone, that when someone calls your American number, your Israeli cell phone rings and you have unlimited incoming that way?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
This plan works straight to your cell phone, that when someone calls your American number, your Israeli cell phone rings and you have unlimited incoming that way?

He probably means to an internet phone line with a US number.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 05:18:29 PM »
He probably means to an internet phone line with a US number.

+1

u could get the $5 plan (at least u once were able) on your cell as well but u need 2 factor in airtime...but perhaps u could play around w/ google voice to make it work

Offline i3ond

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold, National Executive, Hertz Gold, Avis President's, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
I would use skype and  buy a unlimited talk in the USA plan. If you cant buy it then have a friend or someone on the forum set one up for you. Then I would use my droid cellphone with skype  to make  free calls to the US over wifi or 3g.
Perfection is my goal, excellence will be tolerated.